Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Big Box "quilt fabrics" vs quilting store quilt fabrics >

Big Box "quilt fabrics" vs quilting store quilt fabrics

Big Box "quilt fabrics" vs quilting store quilt fabrics

Old 08-21-2017, 06:15 PM
Power Poster

I rarely pay full price for fabric. I buy when the LQS has a sale. I buy online only when there are sales and clearances. I like the daily deals and flash sales on Facebook. I can't remember the last time I paid full price for fabric or pre cuts. I buy batting only when it's at least 30% or more off. I buy thread and needles when Superior has a clearance. I buy enough to last until the next big sale.
Old 08-21-2017, 06:18 PM

If it has a "starchy" feel, no matter who the seller is, I walk away.
Old 08-21-2017, 08:01 PM

Originally Posted by Jingle View Post
I mostly buy fabrics from Walmart and Hobby Lobby. I have never found the above statement to be true. The quilting cottons at both stores are top quality without the hefty price.
I haven't been in a WalMart store in 8 years so I don't know what they have now, but in the 90s, they did have knockoff fabrics. I've never been in a Hobby Lobby. There are none in this area, though one is coming.
Old 08-22-2017, 05:01 AM

Originally Posted by Onebyone View Post
I buy name brand name fabrics I trust for online because I know the quality. At Walmart, Hobby Lobby, JoAnns, etc. I have to feel it. I don't care what store fabric comes from as long as I'm pleased with it.
this is where we need a thumbs up sign, I agree.
Old 08-22-2017, 05:09 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by lots2do View Post
I was at Walmart today and picked out some interfacing. While I waited for someone to come and cut it for me, I saw a beautiful blush colored cotton by Waverly. It was $2.97 a yard. I figured I could wash it and give it a try. It felt nice and I was just drawn to the color. Will see how it goes.
Maybe because color is so important to me, I do usually buy locally. My iPad is not always reliable in that way. I like to feel it, too. But I do buy online at times.
I bought several of the Walmart Waverly solids. I had no problem with bleeding. There was "some" shrinkage - but no more than "some" LQS fabrics. I do overcast raw edges before washing the fabrics to minimize fraying.
Old 08-22-2017, 06:56 AM

My experience is that the Big Box lines are RARELY the quality of the Quilt shop lines. My one exception is when ordering online from sites like Connecting Threads. In my early quilting days I would sometimes mix the two and was always sorry, to the point I just don't buy from the Big Box type lines anymore.
Old 08-22-2017, 07:34 AM

If you are buying a brand name and line, it does not matter where you buy it - it will be the same fabric. Doubt this? call the manufacturer, they will tell you that they can not have 2 levels of quality out there for the same fabric. This damages their name. But, the catch is that it needs to be the same fabric. A line may put out 2 similar fabrics - but, the name WILL BE different. Example - you purchase a 'joe smith' brand / line 'summer floral', this will be the same fabric at a LQS, Joanns, Walmart or anywhere online. But, if the label says 'joe smith' 'flowers', although it looks similar, this could be a different fabric and perhaps a bit stiffer, less vibrant color or whatever.
Old 08-22-2017, 08:00 AM

I have bought from LQS and Big Box stores and been both hugely disappointed and greatly elated at the hand, selection and quality. Sam as with buying from online sites. I am at fabric overload with zero motivation to do anything about either issue due to current health issues. I do however have a group of ladies for sew quilts for homeless children that I can donate to when the motivation returns to go through my fabrics.

IMHO, it is roughly similar to yarn shop yarns vs big box stores yarns. Paid good money for not nice feeling yarn at a local yarn shop.
Old 08-22-2017, 08:23 AM

I was surprised to see the new lines at JF and was intrigued. I stopped by the other day for something else and took a quick look at the new fabric. The colors and patterns are beautiful, but the one I felt, was just OK. Better than their Keepsake Calico's, but not as nice as the Buttercream premium fabric. They are priced at $14.99 a yard so even with a half off coupon it's no bargain. I will probably stick with quilt shop fabric when I want to use these types of fabrics (i.e. 30's, reproduction, etc). I do think it's nice that they are offering these different lines and that they will work well for lots of people.
Old 08-22-2017, 08:49 AM

My experience with WalMart fabrics has been the same as IrishRose's. I bought some wonderful Jacobean fabric at my local quilt shop and just a few days later saw the exact same print at WalMart. The difference was astounding - the WalMart fabric didn't feel as "rich", the colors weren't as bright and the print itself was a little blurry. I could have used the WalMart fabric in an emergency to finish a block, but it definitely would have been noticeable on close inspection.