Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
What notions are a waste of money? >

What notions are a waste of money?

What notions are a waste of money?

Old 11-11-2010, 09:53 PM

Originally Posted by kathidahl
I bought an Alto's QuiltCut for my Mom and it has now come back to me. Do any of you use this? Was it a waste of money?
I just bought one at the quilt show ad love it. There is a thread that this was talked about and most people were happy with them. A few were not. Some said the ruler moved but they say to hold the knob and it won't move. My cutting has been a lot better since I got it.
Old 11-11-2010, 09:59 PM

If I had to choose only 4 notions that I can't live without they would be:
1. my Machingers gloves for quilting
2. my small tomato pincushion with adhesive on the bottom. I attached the pincushion to the top of my machine and I can find & use it without even looking up from my sewing
3. my binding clips that look like the pop-open hair clips...they save so much time
4. my Kwik Clip tool for placing quilting pins

Isn't it great when you've bought an item and it really DOES work well?
Old 11-11-2010, 10:00 PM

Originally Posted by majormom
The lint roller I have at my work area is a life saver. I roll the ironing board, I roll the cutting boards, I roll the sewing cabinet and I even roll myself! Threads, bits of fabric, bits of paper (foundation quilting) - good by!
I'm with you! I use mine all the time! And the refills for them are really cheap at those 99 cent stores!
Old 11-11-2010, 10:06 PM

Originally Posted by grannie-k
Originally Posted by brendadawg
I know lots of folks like them -- but I don't like my bobbin winder at all.
I like mine but didnt like the jumping around part. I am going to try the weight in it and see if that helps.
I recently bought one-haven't used it yet-someone earlier said it is no good with plastic bobbins-well, that is all I have! I hope it works!
Old 11-11-2010, 10:06 PM

The otion that does not work for me is the needle threader, I think by clover. Other poeple have had success with it, but I have had two and neither one has worked for me.

One other notion is Omnigrid yellow marked rulers, they give me a headache because they are too busy for me. I just bought the frosted rulers and love them.

Also I have bought several marking pencils that were recommended, didn't work for me.
Old 11-11-2010, 10:09 PM

Originally Posted by kathidahl
I bought an Alto's QuiltCut for my Mom and it has now come back to me. Do any of you use this? Was it a waste of money?
I have had mine for over 10 years and I LOVE it! I have gone thru several mats. Thats the only thing I don't like..Next time I'm going to try a regular mat and see how it works..It should...but you never know. But for the money I think its worth every penny I spent on it.
Old 11-11-2010, 10:10 PM

I love mine. It cuts really straight when you are making HST. But I have never gotten the Pounce to work and have resorted to using a #2 pencil for marking and tailors chalk for darks.
Old 11-11-2010, 10:11 PM

Originally Posted by Matilda
Originally Posted by JudeWill
The side-winder was my most expensive notion purchase (so far) that I don't like. Does not wind tight. I was going to return it, but too much time had passed.

One of my handiest tools is a telescoping rod with a magnet on the end. Great for picking up dropped needles, pins & small tools.
I don't understand why buy a sidewinder when there is a bobbin winder on most machines? I have heard nothing but bad about them.

The telescoping rod with magnet was one of my best tools too.
Bobbin winder is good because you don't have to stop and wind a bobbin when you run out and re-thread the machine again. I try to anticipate how many bobbins I will need and wind them on my machine ahead of time, but I always under-estimate and end up stopping to wind another one. I just hope my new one works on my plastic bobbins!
Old 11-11-2010, 10:13 PM

I did get a sidewinder and find that it rarely gets used...It doesn't wind straight for me and if I have to babysit it while it works thats just too much trouble in my book when I'm in the middle of something. Doesn't save me any more time than stopping to wind on my machine.
Old 11-11-2010, 10:14 PM

Originally Posted by pollyann
I can't think of what I haven't used but has anyone tried one of the new rulers with the diamond edge that sharpens your rotary blade as you cut. I haven't gotten one yet but it sounds like an idea whose time has come. I don't know why someone hasn't come up with it way before now!
A previous post on this thread said it didn't work-in fact, she thought it dulled her blade. I was thinking of getting one too, but I will wait to see what the general consensus is before forking out for one. I know I HATED the blue disc sharpener. Worthless!!