Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
Weight Loss Challenge with a prize......Nov sign up >

Weight Loss Challenge with a prize......Nov sign up

Weight Loss Challenge with a prize......Nov sign up

Old 11-08-2010, 07:17 AM
Power Poster

Location: Murray, Ky. Looking for a nice cushy pillow to rest my head on!

Bonnie you can do it!! Cake and ice cream were my evil but I went to a b-day party last night and I wasn't even interested in it. I walk right by the candy bars at the register and it nolonger phases me. Trust me when I say I was a sugaraholic. I literally thought I was gonna die and all I could do was think about sweets that 1st 30 days but I kept telling myself yuck it's not good for me. I no longer crave it even at that time of the month.
Old 11-08-2010, 10:13 AM

Originally Posted by irishrose
Originally Posted by cjomomma
I gave up stress eating. Now if I'm stressed I find something to do, like cutting some fabric, sewing and cleaning. I'm not dieting I'm changing habits. Making choices to live a healthier choice.
This is the perfect thing I need to read on a Monday morning. If you don't mind, I'm going to write it out and post it where I can see it. Stress eating is my biggest problem.

This week will be a good test. The first anniversary of my oldest daughter's husband's death is Thursday. I want to find a way to help her through it - maybe shopping for fabric would do. I know she's ready to start quilting soon.

I hope we all have a good week.
That must be so difficult for both you and your daughter. Fabric shopping should keep you distracted a bit.
Old 11-08-2010, 10:16 AM

Originally Posted by trupeach1
it takes 30 days to make or break a habit or so they say. so if we change are eating habit and STICK to it for 30 days then our brain will just eat that way. I mean not just giving up crap food or eating to much. i think it has to be more controlled. Like you eat your meals and snacks the same time everyday. I actualy think I will google to see what it says about habits and if food comes under that theroy
My daughters doctor told her to wait 5 minutes before doing the bad habit and then if she still wanted to do it she could. I have been doing this and I broke one bad habit (not food related) in just a week. It is harder with cookies, but it does work some of the time even with food.
Old 11-08-2010, 12:20 PM

I'm not in on the race, but I'm in on the weight loss. So far I've mostly maintained. I like the idea about a quilt square for each pound. Now all I need to do is figure out a pattern for the blocks. Oh, and cancel my order for cheesecake and chocolate milkshakes.
Old 11-08-2010, 12:29 PM

I had a break though moment this weekend. When I don't want to work on something or have too many irons in the fire, I stop doing anything at all and then I eat. When I am tired or on pain medication, I have the numchies. When the fruit and vegetable selections are non-existent, I eat carbs. Even when I am tired of eating, I still clean my plate, or finish off the cake, or whatever.

But the most significant thing I found is this: When I am thirsty, and we don't have a cold drink in the refrigerator or no ice in the freezeer, I EAT. I don't like warm drinks unless it is cold or tea time. And sometimes for tea time, I make ice tea.

Stupid choices, crazy behavior or not, this is what happens from day to day. I have a headache? eat, Can't sleep? eat.
Eating is not the answer for a problem...and except for Thanksgiving, it shouldn't be the focal point of most celebrations. I need to think on this and figure out what to do instead...
Old 11-08-2010, 12:51 PM

Bonnie: I have trigger foods. The top of the list is graham crackers. I believe I would eat a cow pie if it had a graham cracker crust. If I eat just one, I've eaten the whole box. Shortbread and pie crusty cookies do it to me too.

Here is my thinking...If I was an alcoholic, I would have to avoid all alcohol, at home, at work, at play, in secret or in public. I couldn't have any. Once I identify a trigger food, I must avoid it completely or be in a possition where I only get 1 average serving. For example:

Several people in our family love pie no matter what the crust is made from. I'm one of them. For some reason everyone else can stop after a normal serving. I can't stop. I will eat until there is no pie left (and still want more). So...if we only make enough for everyone to have one serving, I am fine. Or if I eat it at someone elses home, and leave soon after - raving about how wonderful it was - I'm okay.

Treat cookies like you are allergic for a month and never have any in your home. When the holiday goodies arrive, remember that everyone needs to share. Give them away to guests, neighbors, stray dogs, just don't put them in your mouth, except for the very last and smallest one. That one is for you.
Old 11-08-2010, 01:53 PM

Originally Posted by fryguymoore
it takes 30 days to make or break a habit or so they say. so if we change are eating habit and STICK to it for 30 days then our brain will just eat that way. I mean not just giving up crap food or eating to much. i think it has to be more controlled. Like you eat your meals and snacks the same time everyday. I actualy think I will google to see what it says about habits and if food comes under that theroy
My daughters doctor told her to wait 5 minutes before doing the bad habit and then if she still wanted to do it she could. I have been doing this and I broke one bad habit (not food related) in just a week. It is harder with cookies, but it does work some of the time even with food.
I am using a version of this. When I reach for Pepsi, which is my addiction, I drink water instead. Usually I can postpone it for several hours, or longer. But if I say I won't drink it at all, it's all I can think about and I cave very quickly and guzzle twice as much. I haven't lost much, but I finally quit gaining. Now if I can just get moving a little more, I think I will be on the right track.
Old 11-08-2010, 03:43 PM

Hi all,
Well no weight loss for me this last week but no gain either. I like what you have been saying. It's true for me too if I can keep from the first bit I'm ok but if I start eating my bad foods the day is a loss. I have lost just over 30 pounds over the past year and these last twenty have been the hardest. I know what to stay away from but my biggest problem to over come is portion control. I admit it I love food. OK I'm done rambling Hope you all have a very successful week.
Hugs to all.
Gail
Old 11-08-2010, 04:37 PM
Banned

Has anyone heard from Missy????????? She was going home I think Sunday and she hasn't been on since she told us about the hotel. Post if you hear from her or see her on hte board.
Old 11-08-2010, 05:06 PM

I must say I disagree with the 30 days to establish a new habit. It was two years ago that I began eating healthy and going to the gym five days a week. I did this for an entire year. Clearly it didn't stick :(

According to the book I am reading, Habit Change Workbook, this may be so for easier habits, but it isn't true for addictions or the harder to break habits. These habits can be broken but in order to stay gone we have to make them stay gone by always being alert to the fact that they can return. (But not in a negative way like that sounded.)

I think it is unwise to figure that since a certain number of days have gone by we are all better.

I have had this food addition for a very long time, 30 days didn't fix it before and it won't now. I can fix this but I have to aways want to forever.

One day at a time...