Garage as a sewing room

Old 03-22-2011, 08:24 AM

My sewing room is at the end of the house furthest from our heat source so I have one of those little oil filled radiator looking heaters in there. I keep it set on the lowest setting so it only comes on when needed. I feel it is safer than a space heater because there are no exposed heating coils. It takes a while to get the room warm when it is first used but after it gets the room warm, it keeps it nice and comfy!
Old 03-22-2011, 09:07 AM
Banned

ok..had to laugh...HEAT...hehehe

that is my problem here in northern OK...but I am still working on that getting two car garage turned into my sewing studio!
I mean really.....we just use it for storage and laundry now...why not??
Old 03-22-2011, 09:09 AM

Originally Posted by SEW
I find that when my husband thinks something I want to do with regard to home repairs/upgrades etc. "isn't a good idea"... what he really means is "that sounds like a lot of work and I don't want to do it!"

I suspect in the not too distant future we will be seeing posts of your spacious new sewing room. Good luck!
Exactly, so I will start it and then I guess the hubby starts to feel quilty and then helps! LOL
Old 03-22-2011, 09:17 AM

If hubby had the '66 mustang in the garage sitting for 6 years, I say you get equal time to build and sew in your garage, too.
Old 03-23-2011, 05:42 AM

Pam--I feel your pain. I was supposed to get a large "Sewing Studio" but that is not going to happen now--thanks to our builder friend--I should say my X-friend. I had done up plans for "OUR" remodel with an enlarged garage to fit both cars. I love my house but the 2-Car garage is small. Anyway, the builder finally said he did not want to spend my husband's money--WHAT??? It is my money too. My next plan was to do what you want to with our garage and build a seperate garage for our cars and his tools, etc. Now my husband says he is getting too old to even do that.

The main reason for me wanting to do this is I have an online business that is growing--thanks to this wonderful group and I need more room for more bolts of fabric ;-) Right now everything is in our walk-out basement and I am taking up my computer room, Great Room, 1 guest room and under the stairway. It is difficult for me to have customers come out the way I am set up now and with the Quilt Shop in town closing it would have been a perfect opportunity for me and would have been very nice for the town's quilters.

Good luck--I hope you are able to do what you want.
Old 03-23-2011, 06:11 AM

I think it is just his way of saying "Hire someone" "if you wait for me it will never get done". Go for it! It's your space too!
Old 03-23-2011, 06:15 AM
Banned

Well I started the process....

Mustang is gone. A 20 yard dumpter is on its way to my house to clear out all the trash and junk in the garage and on the side of the house and hopefully the 20 years of stuff in our storage room will fit too.

I KNOW for a fact that the comment was because he doesn't want to do the work so I am taking another tatic....I called my oldest son and he is coming home this weekend to help Mom! ha ha - if it works he will jump on board with this project - if the guilt doesn't work than I get to see my son!
Old 03-23-2011, 06:31 AM

Perhaps he wants it reserved for the future mustang?
Old 03-23-2011, 06:49 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by wyosue
Pam--
The main reason for me wanting to do this is I have an online business that is growing--thanks to this wonderful group and I need more room for more bolts of fabric ;-) .
So are you listed as a business here or are you just selling fabric at the 40% discount in the forum classifieds?
Old 03-23-2011, 07:19 AM

Pam--that is great. Good Luck with your project.