Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
I see gorgeous sewing rooms... then there's mine.... >

I see gorgeous sewing rooms... then there's mine....

I see gorgeous sewing rooms... then there's mine....

Old 06-06-2011, 06:41 AM
Power Poster

My sewing room is in process of becoming the family den. Everyone wants to be in mama's studio especially my big boys. LOL go figure!

Originally Posted by clem55
JUst be glad it is all in one room, and that it is your sewing room! My machine is in my bedroom, my books, fabric, and supplies are in the guest room closet and under the bed. Once upon a time, the guest room was "my room". I had a desk and chest with big deep drawers, a big closet, my sewing machine, a comfortable chair and a TV, and a ironing board that hung on the back of the closet door. Before I knew it, hubby and the kids were sitting in there watching TV instead of in the family room downstairs. Since there was only one chair and the trunk I stored fabric in to sit on, HUbby decided we needed a couch in there. And soon my sewing room became the family den! Now it is back to being a guest bedroom. So, if your room is small, if it is cluttered, so what? Take out the big furniture and then put signs on the door that say "keep out", and enjoy your quiet and your mess.LOL
Old 06-06-2011, 06:51 AM

My room is train wreck, but i can find anything i want (just takes awile) i hand to much orderly choas in the Marines. Now i can do things my way...lol
Old 06-06-2011, 06:55 AM

I thought I had it all in the 11 x 12 guest bedroom with the queen bed, triple dresser, chest of drawers, nightstand, bird cage-no bird, Arrow sewing cabinet, bird table. Closet and all drawers and under bed full and overflowing-fabric, batting, yarn. I found DD luggage in my fabric closet not going to be able to move those anytime soon. Maybe in fall DH will put them in attic.
2 hall closets have shoe boxes of projects with specific patterns. Study closet can't be opened. Fabric etc. falling almost. A gateway type piece in study will move to sewing room if bed ever moves to DD new home when & if she builds it. Not so messy as scattered, but I know where stuff is and lots of it is labeled.
Old 06-06-2011, 07:02 AM

My room is ok until I want to get in the closet, then I have to move some stuff away from the door and then put it back. I know it can get a mess real easy.
Old 06-06-2011, 07:03 AM

There should be a Serious Sewing Service that we can call. Someone that understands us, and knows the importance of 'Our stuff'...Someone that will come to our home, with a team, and not judge us, but send us to the spa for a day of R&R, and when we come home there is the most beautiful room, with everything put away in their place, but nothing thrown away...everything organized so we can find it on first attempt. This service of course would be free of charge to serious sewers with a minor flaw.....
Old 06-06-2011, 07:06 AM
Power Poster

I just wish I had a dedicated sewing room
Old 06-06-2011, 07:11 AM

Originally Posted by alikat110
I just wish I had a dedicated sewing room
Me too. Hopefully soon. I will be taking over the basement bedroom. That knocks one of the kids out of having their own room (then that gives two of them their own room but our youngest son will not sleep in a room by himself) but .... :oops: I can't put all of this in the living room! LOL
Old 06-06-2011, 07:13 AM

Originally Posted by DebsShelties
Maybe one way of cleaning the room would be to remove everything but the large furniture, put the removed stuff into a room you are not using. Before taking it back, go thru it and decide does it really need to go back.
Make a place to fold fabric - cutting table and take a few pieces in at a time, fold and put them away before bringing in any more.
I put the books back into the room first after the big removal. Then the fabric and put it away.
This is kind of what I've been doing. I moved a lot into the bathroom across the hall because my DH is out of town for a while, so I can make whatever mess I want to as long as we can move by the time he gets back....
Old 06-06-2011, 07:37 AM

My mom always says, "A messy room is the sign of a creative mind." As a quilter, these are wise words to live by :)
Old 06-06-2011, 07:45 AM

i have a half decent L-Shaped room.. It is an organized chaos!! LOL I can see the floor though, I just have fabrics, projects and WIPS and baby bloomer orders in various "organized" piles!