Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
I see gorgeous sewing rooms... then there's mine.... >

I see gorgeous sewing rooms... then there's mine....

I see gorgeous sewing rooms... then there's mine....

Old 06-07-2011, 12:21 PM

Ah, Dear friend, as you can see and read there are alot of people out there that have the same problem. I am now just about to have mine cleaned out and functionable and my daughters tell me that they want there own rooms. Which would pust me right out. I am thinking about moving down to the basement because it would be a lot cooler in the summer but then I have to get rid of a lot of stuff down there first. Talk about dilema
Old 06-07-2011, 12:29 PM

I've seen "A clean house is a sign of a broken sewing machine"....my sewing machine works fine, thank you![/quote]

Too funny. My sewing machine works just fine too!
Old 06-07-2011, 12:58 PM

Originally Posted by Yarn or Fabric
I have to say that I keep seeing some amazing pictures of sewing rooms - big, spacious, organized, decluttered... You can see the floor and can physically get to the closet without needing mountain climbing gadgets...

Then there's mine.......
My room is 11' squared pretty much - and it is overflowing and unmanageable for the most part. It has more big furniture in there than it is suppose to have and is set up like a maze just so you can get to the closet.

I have cleaned partially then gone in there, searching for something and then get it all destroyed again. Yes, I know... I need to clean it COMPLETELY and then keep up with it. That has been my problem... not getting it completely cleaned. This summer, once I get caught up on everything, I need to get in there for a few days and get it done.....

I can't be the only one... can I?
I'm not sure if I am brave enough to post pictures of it. It doesn't have heaping piles in there, okay, maybe one but that's because I was actually piecing yesterday and pushed a bunch of material in to a pile. That was my fault completely. I'll fix that today - I swear it :D
Mine is smaller than yours...Y'know, if anybody does not have enough storage shelves to hold everything, it is going to be messy.

I have six ft tall, 10 inch deep book shelves around the room covering most of the wall space. It is amazing how much stuff dissappears into just one set of shelves. It is not that well organized, just up out of heaps into findable folded up groups.
I have two dropleaf tables in there, a small desk and a big 16 drawer chest for notions. There is a big roll of batting plus smaller bags full stacked behind the door. Truly the whole center of the room is clear, because my 24 baskets of stash are in in the closet. - in towers of four on rollers!
Old 06-07-2011, 01:09 PM

Originally Posted by sailsablazin
I have taken over my son's bedroom---mighty small with a bed still and a dresser and lots of his stuff that I don't want to take the time to get rid of. He moved out ages ago, but don't know how much of all of his memoribilia he wants. So, after I crawl over the Nordic Track, then I can get to my machine. But the ironing board is out in another room along with fabric cluttering the guest bed. If we get company it really messes me up! So, come on over, but don't spend the night (don't want to put everything away!!
Can you take the bed apart stand the matress and frame on edge against the wall and use them for a design wall?
Old 06-07-2011, 01:16 PM

My sewing room is a disorganized mess - I clean it before I start a new quilt.
Old 06-07-2011, 01:21 PM

Oh! 11 x 11 did you say??! I Would Kill for 2 extra feet of space! Mine is 9x9 no closet, too much furniture.
Lucky Girl!
Old 06-07-2011, 01:27 PM

I know exactly how you feel. I have to sew in my dining room so have to keep everything "picked up". The rest is upstairs in a very small bedroom w/ a dbl bed and dresser in it. I would love to take down the bed and store it somewhere but my DH doesn't want me upstairs, so I am stuck.
Got that off my chest, now I feel better.
Old 06-07-2011, 01:29 PM

Originally Posted by QuiltnLady1
Well, I don't feel so bad. My sewing room is 8x10 with a 4x6 desk in the middle that has 1 serger, 1 embroidery machine and my quilting machine. As if that is not enough to crowd the space, my ironing board is there as well as a dvd/cd shelf from IKEA for fat quarters and corner shelf my dad built that holds a bunch of fabric. The walls are covered in peg board and I have shelves and pegs. My fabric stash out grew available space and resides in the laundry room and two linen closets. If I gain too much weight I won't be able to get in the chair to sew without punching a hole in the wall (LOL).

Right now I am trying to clean out the sewing room (trying to recover from a blitz of flannel receiving blankets, fleece blankets and pillow cases so I can get back to quilting). I have widened the path around the room and am filling a bag of scraps I will never use to give to the thrift store so they are someone else's problems. A couple of years ago I refolded all of my fabric around the rulers with the size of the fold determined by how much fabric there was in the piece. It helped -- more fabric fit in the space but when I get creative it is a major mess since I must pull half the stash to find what I want.

After dinner it will be quality clean out time again. I am trying to find a template that I know I used on one of the receiving blankets and I need it now for another project. Hope I can find it soon. Maybe I can sew tomorrow.
Is your fabric standing on end like books?
You perhaps can make and put in fastners to hold extra shelves?
Go to lowes or a lumber yard with one shelf as a pattern they can use as a guide for cutting new ones.
Old 06-07-2011, 01:43 PM

Location: Born & raised in Upper Micigan, transplanted to central Wisconsin the last 35 yrs.

I moved 2 months ago, had boxes and totes labeled SEWING ROOM. But those that helped me to move took it upon themselves to put boxes anywhere they wanted. Now I have boxes in the basement storage area of the apartment building. Then on top of many boxes I can't see, I have no idea what's under them. Is it sewing, knitting, beading, kitchen, bedroom, living room? LOL. To top it all off, I could not lift any of them because I had injured my left shoulder and my right foot/leg, now I've had surgery on that shoulder. So...I have this crooked path into my sewing room. I have boxes to empty into my LARGE roll top desk, boxes and totes that need to be emptied into the desk AND put away more sewing items. Not to mention finding my UFO's. THEN... my new/used sewing machine arrived and I can't even lift it to play with it!

So I can relate to one having a total organized disaster!

Judi
Old 06-07-2011, 01:53 PM

So nice to know I am in such great company when it comes to my sewing room. I did clean out some this past weekend in anticipation of my great niece coming for the summer. She is 8 and wants to learn to quilt! So it was either clean out or risk losing her in the "stuff"! I am doing what so many of you recommended and trying to get rid of items I am not using and donate fabric, yarn, etc. Having some of that gone is helping me see the rest.