Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
I see gorgeous sewing rooms... then there's mine.... >

I see gorgeous sewing rooms... then there's mine....

I see gorgeous sewing rooms... then there's mine....

Old 06-07-2011, 08:16 AM

Originally Posted by Karen K.
This winter when we had all the crappy snow and ice-I live in Michigan- I decided now was the time to clean out sewing room. AND I did get it accomplished. I am handi-capped and have trouble walking, and there was only a narrow path from door to sewing machine. I felt such a sense of accomplishment when the procect was finished. AND you know what 17 yr. old grandson said when he saw it all cleaned up, Gee Grandman you can see the floor. It was all I worked on for about 10 days. You just have to tell yourself you're going to do it and do nothing else till room looks great.
I applaud you tremendously on your efforts and the changes you've made for your safety and enjoyment of sewing. I hope you enjoy your newly arranged sewing room much more now. Pat yourself on the back, too.

VERY similar story here, too. I too am disabled a have trouble walking, so after some recent tripping over table legs and other items and losing my balance trying to navigate narrow pathways in my sewing room I finally reached my "Popeye Moment" - I've had all I can stands and I can't stands no more! :lol:

So, I'm in the process of doing exactly the same thing you've done, and yes, it's taking days to do it all. Besides safety issues in here, I had lost my creativity and joy in sewing because I had too many things in here, it was too cluttered and I felt like I couldn't even breathe. :(

I took out one 30 x 48" sewing table (still have one 30 x 60" sewing table in here now), two chairs, one tall 7 drawer rolly bin, and several other items. Instead of trying to have my room set up for at least two quilters (friend comes over occasionally but doesn't use the other sewing machine anymore, just hand sews), and have two or three of my machines always set up, I decided my safety and peace of mind were worth more.

I changed things that weren't working for me anymore and sat down and asked myself what would be the most important things for me to have in here? I know have the one large sewing table that I can set up two machines at for myself if I need to, the one large cutting table with storage underneath and a place for my ironing board, which I prefer over a small pad to iron on. I also have two 6' tall bookcases for books and pattern storage, my computer desk and a small bookcase for computer related items. My stash is in the small closet which DH kindly installed shelves from top to bottom.

My other portable sewing machines are stored on a shelf of my bookcases and now I can use my treadle to sew on instead of for a cutting mat surface. Yay! :thumbup:

My neighbor came over yesterday to check on my progress and gasped, dropped her jaw and said, "WOW!" What a compliment. :thumbup:
Old 06-07-2011, 08:35 AM

I read every one of your posts. Wheeeyou! What a relief! I am not the only one with disaster areas. You all give me courage. I might actually get things cleaned up enough in what is to be my "sewing room" to be able to move my cutting table and stacks of fabric from the living room. I might actually get the boxes I am mountian climbing over in the "sewing room" to be able to make it look like a "sewing room". Pictures? I don't think I am that brave yet.
Old 06-07-2011, 08:45 AM

I'm just glad to have one! Didn't do it for show, it's my work space, right! I love my little back bedroom studio & I don't care what anyone else thinks. DH comes in there, says, I don't know how you find anything, but most of the time, I can find exactly what I am looking for. I tell him the same thing about his studio, lol. I would say, just be happy you have one, & a room to call your own. I see so many on here who don't yet, so, we should be happy that we do!...
Old 06-07-2011, 10:12 AM

Ok I redid my quilting studio a year and a half ago. I love love love it now. Mine is the same size as yours. I have a full walk in closet that I can get into. it is full of fabric. I want to set up a scrap system so that will happen after the kitchen renovation. I know you know this but, empty that room. Save for the Ikea shelves or something similar. Then cull the stuff going in. As you organize. I use an island with a butcher block top and shelves on one side for my cutting table. I love it. But as you clean put all cutting supplies in one box all fabric in seperate boxes. Then fat quarters in another etc. What do you need by the machine, or for hand sewing. you may want a few file cabinets for patterns and magazines. See the wisdom of this. Maybe invite a few friends to help. But get the big furniture out you deserve your space use it well!
Luann

My Quilt Studio
[ATTACH=CONFIG]208127[/ATTACH]

The Studio
[ATTACH=CONFIG]208128[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails attachment-208121.jpe   attachment-208122.jpe  
Old 06-07-2011, 10:22 AM

Jacquie, One way to get used to the quilt frame and feel good about quilting on it is, practice at least an hour a day. If that is too much then as long as you have time for. I did panto's with my short arm machine. Try them. Also use a white board with erasable pens to practice the stitching you want to do. It will imprint your brain. Also remember to breathe and think of the machine as a dance partner. Back straight and one, two, three breathe! Have fun!
Luann
Old 06-07-2011, 10:25 AM

I'm glad a lot of you are sewing in a small space. Like someone else above, I live in a small 1,000 sf condo. My bedroom also serves as my sewing room. I have a bunch of different storage items in there, and keep some of the overflow in a small closet in another room, and a few things in the basement (although I just recently moved all of my fabric upstairs because I didn't like the idea of storing it in the basement, which isn't finished). Wish I could take over part of the kitchen downstairs, but my Mom lives with me, and she's not having any of that (LOL)!!

I really appreciate all of your photos and great ideas.
Old 06-07-2011, 10:31 AM

my sewing room is also my bedroom, has a comfy chair, TV, dresser and what ever else. I do keep it somewhat organized. Yes, materials here and there. especially when working on projects as I am doing right now for a auction fundraiser. :)
Old 06-07-2011, 10:49 AM

Could it be a "gene? thing? I think my DNA is flawed. I notice that my office and desk at work "keeps spreading each day - more paper...

Then there are my usb drives and computer desktop, more files, more downloads....Not to mention my bookmarks and favorites.

I get involved in too many projects at once in too many locations. I have too many books, too many magazines....post it notes every where. Notes to myself--that I can't find.

And as I posted earlier this week, in my attempt to organize my sewing room, I started moving out of one to another room and now I have two rooms messed up. I run back and forth trying to remember where I have something - so much wasted time. I wear myself out.

It just has to be a DNA thing.
Old 06-07-2011, 12:11 PM

Originally Posted by lindyline
No, you're not the only one, but if anyone else asks,I'm denying it.
Me too! :lol:
Old 06-07-2011, 12:11 PM

My sewing room is in my guest room and at times can really get disorganized! But remember this - Einstein was a genious and they say he was extremely messy. After I clean up my sewing room it will look good for about 1 to 2 weeks and then it's back to being messy - but that's part of the creative process!