Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
I see gorgeous sewing rooms... then there's mine.... >

I see gorgeous sewing rooms... then there's mine....

I see gorgeous sewing rooms... then there's mine....

Old 06-07-2011, 06:21 AM

Tie a rope around your waist -tie the other end to some thing sturdy outside of your sewing room this way you'll be able to find your way out.We'd hate to lose a member :) But if you post pics I'm sure we all can give helpful hints and ideas to make your sewing room a place for joyful creations
Old 06-07-2011, 06:26 AM

Originally Posted by frauhahn
This is the reason that I don't have one-if I sew in the livingroom or diningroom, I know that I have to clean up because someone might show up to visit. While I admire so many that I see here, I know that a room dedicated to sewing would be a disaster for me!!
My sewing room is the kitchen. I have no room left in there when I am quilting. I have two 6 foot tables set up so I can push the quilt out of my way. I tell people to give me a call before they come so I can striten up a little. It does make it hard to cook a meal for company, no room They have to use trays to eat on, cause I'm not going to put everything away, because I would never find them.
Old 06-07-2011, 06:27 AM

All you ladies have space? or not? Well, get this. I sew either outside a closet. That's where I store my machines. The closet is about 10 ft x 2 feet. or in my bedroom at the end of my bed and the corner of my dresser. I live in four compact rooms, no room for a sewing room, but as I destach, sewing becomes easier.

I really feel for all you ladies. LOL
Old 06-07-2011, 06:28 AM

I had a sewing room and now it if full with my daughter and granddaughter. I love the fact that they live here, but my sewing stuff is now everywhere.
Old 06-07-2011, 06:35 AM

I wish I had enough room of my own to have a gigantic mess. I can only have a lttle mess cuz thats all the room I have. SOMEDAY...I wish I will have a sewing room again.
Old 06-07-2011, 06:36 AM

I know the feeling. You have so much you don't know what you have. To remedy part of the problem instead of storing everything in totes and boxes, I got a bunch (and I do mean a bunch) of cardboards from the grocery store that were part of yogurt packaging and used them to wrap my fabric pieces creating mini bolts. Now, at least my stash is orderly and stacked upright on bookshelves, like books and...I can see what I have without digging thru boxes. Maybe this hint will help. I still have a way to go. The mini bolt cardboards are free.
Old 06-07-2011, 06:42 AM

I have found that if I clean and organize completely it looks great until I start a project. Of necessity, I must make a mess. My dilemma is that if I clean I have no energy left to sew (and cook, and clean, and do laundry, etc) or if I sew, the cleaning is left undone. Somewhere (maybe on here) I read that to be creative you must make a mess. Or something to that effect. And, if I have more than one project going at one time (oh, Mom, can you make me a baby quilt? thanks, I need it in a week!) my piles and stacks build up until I can't see the tables or the floor. Then I take one day (or two or three) and clean it again. Now, where did I leave off on this project? Another couple of hours digging all that out again...you get the picture. I just no longer worry about it. I keep the floor swept, projects in their own little "world" with notes about where I left off, etc. I don't care what it looks like, I know where everything is. But, and I realize that not everyone has this option, I do have a dedicated room (a shop out back) where I can leave everything out. I don't have to clean it up to prepare dinner, whatever. I sympathize. There was a time when I had one small corner on a small table in my large kitchen to sew. Four children and a husband meant that I had to clean first, cook next, clean some more, then sew. I made the kids clothes back then...I really don't how I did it. My word to you is, "Don't worry about it. It makes no difference at all if your sewing area looks like a hurricane went through as long as you can find what you need when you need it.
Old 06-07-2011, 06:50 AM

I have taken over my son's bedroom---mighty small with a bed still and a dresser and lots of his stuff that I don't want to take the time to get rid of. He moved out ages ago, but don't know how much of all of his memoribilia he wants. So, after I crawl over the Nordic Track, then I can get to my machine. But the ironing board is out in another room along with fabric cluttering the guest bed. If we get company it really messes me up! So, come on over, but don't spend the night (don't want to put everything away!!
Old 06-07-2011, 07:03 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by Yarn or Fabric
I actually am one step ahead of frau about the take everything out of the room process. I did that last summer - and took nearly everything out of the room, vacuumed and then moved things around until I could get the best layout possible with the floor plan. I'm really happy with the way it is set up right now. I will say that if I don't make friends with the quilting frame and machine by the end of summer, it will go - and that will clear up a TON of space however I'll lose a lot of storage space lol.

I know how to organize it - I just don't have time to do it at the moment. It is loads better than it was this time last year and that is a huge improvement. Just using stuff will help out tremendously. I intend to do that this summer - lots of stuff will be made & hopefully quilted.. I have a huge to do list that isn't getting smaller just by looking at it lol. Now that my foot is healing up after surgery I will be able to start sewing again. I was in there for a few hours yesterday and it wasn't pleasant on my foot that's for sure. I'm going to sew again this weekend with a friend - and make sure I've got everything cut and ready to go

I thought it would be fun to open up a thread for those of us that have rooms that are not so picture worthy so that we could come out of our shame closet and say hey, mine is a disaster zone & should be cordoned off ;)
this is my goal today....
Old 06-07-2011, 07:26 AM

I looked through your pictures and saw a rooster crossing a cobble street.Very color full.How can I get one since I love roosters.I would like to hange it up in my kitchen.The picture looked like it was in another country.