Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
I see gorgeous sewing rooms... then there's mine.... >

I see gorgeous sewing rooms... then there's mine....

I see gorgeous sewing rooms... then there's mine....

Old 06-07-2011, 05:00 AM

Originally Posted by Yarn or Fabric
I have to say that I keep seeing some amazing pictures of sewing rooms - big, spacious, organized, decluttered... You can see the floor and can physically get to the closet without needing mountain climbing gadgets...

Then there's mine.......
My room is 11' squared pretty much - and it is overflowing and unmanageable for the most part. It has more big furniture in there than it is suppose to have and is set up like a maze just so you can get to the closet.

I have cleaned partially then gone in there, searching for something and then get it all destroyed again. Yes, I know... I need to clean it COMPLETELY and then keep up with it. That has been my problem... not getting it completely cleaned. This summer, once I get caught up on everything, I need to get in there for a few days and get it done.....

I can't be the only one... can I?
I'm not sure if I am brave enough to post pictures of it. It doesn't have heaping piles in there, okay, maybe one but that's because I was actually piecing yesterday and pushed a bunch of material in to a pile. That was my fault completely. I'll fix that today - I swear it :D
Maybe you should post a picture. Maybe then someone would be brave enough to post theirs and it could be worse than yours. Then you would feel better. :-D
Old 06-07-2011, 05:02 AM

My room goes from neat to chaos quickly. Just got the last child "out of the nest" when another one returns, just to finish last yr. of college?! Am switching from smaller bedroom to a larger bedroom with a walk-in closet. Will put all computer table, chair, stuff, books(it has a built in bookcase on one wall) and storage totes in the closet. All the other "stuff" will go in the bedroom. I have a u-shaped, 7' x 4' crafting table for emb. machine, serger, and small straight sewing machine to sit on. Will have 3 bookcases for folded material, and a foldable cutting table. Hope to find wall space for a design board...Will try to post before and after pics when or if completed!
Old 06-07-2011, 05:16 AM

Definately not the only one! But I am glad because that makes ME not the only one too! :) I've heard that very creative minds are usually the most messy! That's what I'm going with, feel free to use it! :) Happy quilting!

- Gerri
Old 06-07-2011, 05:17 AM

Be glad you have a sewing room even if it is a mess. I have been sewing on my kitchen table for years. I store my fabric in the chests and closets up stairs, the patterns are in another cupboard--you are right it is all over the house. I think I know where most of it is at the present time. Last fall I cleaned and sorted and gave every thing away I didn't think I would ever sew. Glad I did, it opened up room for the things I hope to get at soon lol. Bad thing is we never have room at the table to have a meal without putting my sewing away so we usually eat in front of the tv. Bad habit.
Old 06-07-2011, 05:23 AM

Feel your pain. It seems I spend more time lately arranging rather than sewing.
Old 06-07-2011, 05:29 AM

OH no not the only one. I am in the process today of trying to rearranging and cleaning up. I would love to have machines and my serger set up but I have come to the conclusion there is just not enough room. I even thought about moving the computer into my bedroom and I despise electronics of any kind other than my clock that plays my ocean CD at night in my bedroom.
I am at that point where I want to open the window and toss everything out. LOL
Old 06-07-2011, 05:43 AM

I feel your pain. My sewing room is 9 X 11 with one small closet, three metal bakers racks to hold fabric & books, my sewing table, 3 more stands, several file cabinets and the computer area. There is a lot of stuff in this room, would like to do as someone suggested and take everything out and start over, but where to put it all in the process. Some how I do manage to product lots of quilts. When the day comes that the cleaning starts, will probably find 2 or 3 of everything that I rebought cause couldn't find what I was looking for. Will watch this thread for suggestions.
Brenda
Old 06-07-2011, 05:45 AM
Power Poster

I'm very different thinking. I need room for my quilting because it's what I enjoy doing. I won't be on the bottom of the list just because DH or the kids 'want' it first.
Old 06-07-2011, 05:52 AM

You are most certainly the only disaster sewing room. Just last night I had my husband take up some batting for me in my sewing room. He mumbled about it's only a pathway and it's ridiculous. I agree!! Just when am I suppose to have a week's free time to organize. I, also, believe in taking everything out and then putting back in (after sorting).
Old 06-07-2011, 06:19 AM

My room is overcrowded, partly, because my DH insisted I needed to keep all the cabinets that we had added before I put my quilting frame in there. I would gladly have given up some cabinets...or even better, I would have left my quilt frame in the dining room that we don't use very often but DH would have none of it, so I move the frame to get to the cabinets in the back or to open the window, then I move it back to sew. I found an ironing board for the back of the door, that helped with space a little. Oh, did I tell you the cat box is in my sewing room, too?