Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
I see gorgeous sewing rooms... then there's mine.... >

I see gorgeous sewing rooms... then there's mine....

I see gorgeous sewing rooms... then there's mine....

Old 06-07-2011, 04:08 AM

I think eastermarie is so right. We may start with a straight room - or not. But when those creative juices get fired up, nothing else matters. It's a high you can't deny.
Artistic expression must have its way. Or, as my grandmother used to say "You have to crack a few egggs to make an omlette".
Paula Nadelstern, the goddess of kalidescope patterns, works in a tiny N.Y. apt. with her sewing machine on her kitchen table. I guess she focuses on the process/product & NOT the mess. Open a window & and say "Guilt be gone!" (then close it really fast).
Debbie
Old 06-07-2011, 04:10 AM

You know what I've done? I bought a few old suitcases at garage sales and put my fabric in those. Their the old school type that we used when we were kids. Their funky easy to handle and fit under a bed. Just put a bounce sheet in them to keep things smelling good.
Old 06-07-2011, 04:10 AM

Once they get out of control the only way to organize again is with HELP. Someone to keep you company and giving ideas along the way I could never have gotten mine done with out the help of my sister in law and sister luv them both
Old 06-07-2011, 04:11 AM

I had a long arm and no matter how I moved things, my little sewing room looked a mess. I sold it, got the sweet 16 with the sit down table, love it love it and my room is much easier to keep nice.

Long arms are great, but you need dedicated space or a big space
Old 06-07-2011, 04:14 AM

Mine is by no means the perfect room, but I did go in and start sorting. I divided my fabric into colors and then by theme. You might start with just one thing. Colors - then sort by theme. I was over whelmed at first, but just keep going. Took me a good part of a full week.
Old 06-07-2011, 04:29 AM

Try pretending it's your daily work space. When your done for the day\, put everything you drug out, back in it's place, or close to it, It's your office....
Old 06-07-2011, 04:32 AM

I think the important thing is to know that you are not alone. I have one room that serves as sewing, quilting, office and craft room. I get it cleaned up and the next thing you know I need to do it again! I'm just thankful I have a whole room after all these years. Even if I spread out into the bedroom at times. LOL
Old 06-07-2011, 04:32 AM

I found out a funny thing about sewing rooms. I started out with a corner. Then came a half a bedroom. Built our house and a sewing room for me. Lasted one year when DH moved his CB radio equipment in cause that's where the phone was which he needed. They all got filled up. Finally, DH has passed away and kids are gone. I now have the biggest room in the house besides the living room, 20' x 24' and guess what......... it's stuffed full and I still can't find everything. We always manage to fill whatever space we have no matter how big.
Old 06-07-2011, 04:34 AM

Sounds exactly like my room. I am getting ready to order three cabinets to put in our breakfast room for "another" storage space for my important "stuff". Good luck.
Old 06-07-2011, 04:47 AM

Mine ranges from pristine to "oh hell". But I just go with it and enjoy it day by day....