Westie? Maltese? or what?

Old 02-01-2012, 06:20 AM

Location: Quilting, crocheting, sewing and crafting in my Sewing Room...Peaceful and wonderful !!

A rescue dog ! They are the greatest as they are so thankful you rescued them. Wonderful companions and did I mention they dote on you ?LOL .. We love our rescue (avatar), she is a wonderful companion, furbaby and just all around good dog. Look for a rescue for either dog and visit with them-or even better become a foster parent (youngest daughter does Great Danes and Greyhounds).
Old 02-01-2012, 06:38 AM

I swore I'd never have another inside dog after I lost my little rat terrier especially one that sheds. Well, my granddaughter & friend found a chihuahua running the streets, starving, eaten up with fleas. So, I gave in and took Bitsy in. Boy, is she loving. Approx. 6 years old we think. Only time she's happy is when she's beside me in my recliner or bed. My daughter has a maltese and she is high energy and takes a lot of grooming. She had Llasa and he was not always nice and took a lot of grooming.
Old 02-01-2012, 07:01 AM

If you rescue a dog, it will rescue your family for the rest of its life.
Old 02-01-2012, 07:09 AM

I from now on will probably rescue,that is my personal thing . that being said my brother has a matlese "Abigail"that he is absolutly in love with and he is a "tough guy" lol
He also rescued a yorkie that he loves but "bandit" is VERY hyper.
Old 02-01-2012, 07:19 AM
Swap Hosts

You don't say how active your husband is and whether he is able to at least take the dog out into the backyard -- or whether you have a fenced in backyard. I agree that puppies are an enormous amount of work. It's like having a baby in the house.
That said, we have two rescues, both of which I thought would be "tiny" -- but SURPRISE!
The first one was a puggle (half pug/half beagle) that we got when he was seven weeks old. He had a chip in his neck but the owners didn't register it. We were"just looking" and he was the puppy of the week at the shelter. There were two claims ahead of us - the rightful owners, if they showed up and then someone else. We put our names in and were surprised when we got the call. Feeney was a terror of a pup. Completely insane, but as he grew up he became the most cuddly, sweet, compliant dog in the world except for his insane love of other dogs. If he sees one a mile away he starts crying and pulling because he wants to play. As for pocket sized, well he is now over 50 lbs.

One thing led to another and while passing by an adoption van, I met eyes with Daisy. She is a chihuahua-terrier mix. She was afraid of everything and everyone except me. She bit my husband the first day we had her. It took a long time, but after three years she actually lets people pet her and takes to certain people with a gusto. Also not a pocket dog now at 17 lbs.

As for cost, Feeney was acquired during free adoption week which included neutering and shots. The only cost was his license at $7. Daisy cost over $400. Needless to say, that's always just the start.

Go where your heart leads you. When you see the right dog, you'll know it.
Old 02-01-2012, 07:26 AM

Originally Posted by jaciqltznok View Post
Bichon Frise! Great companion dogs!
I agree---my Bichon was the best companion ever!
Old 02-01-2012, 07:55 AM

My brother recently bought my 15-year-old niece a dog. Lillie is a Chinese Crested Powderpuff, and she is the most laid-back dog I've ever seen! She is so content to just sit on somebody's lap. Great personality and easy care (does not shed).

My cousin who lives next door has a Boston Terrier, Lucy. She is total NUT case but very loveable! My cousin's first Boston Terrier (who she had to put down late last year) was Bridget, and she had a completely different personality than Lucy even though they are both purebreds. Bridge was a very calm dog, but she totally hated all other animals and would "go all Cujo on them" (in my cousin's words). Lucy loves other dogs and she'll even play with a cat if she has to (LOL).
Old 02-01-2012, 08:00 AM

Let me clarify a few things for everyone. First, we live in on a dead end gravel road and have 12 acres mostly wooded. Nearest neighbor is 100 yds away. So yes we have plenty of run room and don't have to worry about traffic. We have a 4yr chocolate lab, Dixie, and a 6ry old bluetick coonhound and yes I normally perfer large dogs.
They get along great the Westie we dog sit for. AND the Westie get along really great with them. Her owners are amazed at how much she sleeps after a visit at our house! She loves to run with the big dogs! We have Always had large dogs. Now, My husband is home bound more by choice, after two major back surgeries, he is uncomfortable driving anywhere for fear his reflexes are not as good as needed for that. (former long haul driver)
He can walk and get around on his own, but is slow going. He truely needs something more than me to encourage him to get up and move more than he does. The old saying "use it or lose it" well that tends to apply with him. He tends to sit way more than he should because of his "fear" of what if! a fall, the pain etc. A companion that he could talk to, interact with, and needed to be cared for would give him a "reason" to move. Now I do go home every day at lunch and our 24yr old daughter still lives at home and her work schedule rotates each week. So he is not totally at home all day by himself.

I have fallen in love with the Cavalier King Charles Spaniels. We have had springer spaniels before but I have never seen these little guys. and YES... I first place I started searching was RESCUE places and shelters. I would love a dog from there IF we can find the right one. We will continue to search there as well. Both or our dogs now are full blood and have papers for what it is worth. The lab my daughter bought with her own money. The hound, well we got him when he was about 4months old so didn't pay much as they needed a home for him.

Animals are a very big part of our family and always have been. From large horses to small hamsters and everything in between. I could not imagine life without an animal in it.

Again thanks for ALL the opinions and advice. That is one of the things I love about the Quilting Board!
Old 02-01-2012, 08:08 AM

Personally, I don't think anyone can tell you what kind of dog that will "FIT" into your home. You have to find them for yourself.
I had a lab-irish setter mix that was my dog, period. Got him at 6 weeks when the mama owners were going to move out of state & leave the pups behind.
I have had Miniature Pinshers, Lovers, yappers, and sometimes frustrating, and can be a little hard headed
I now have in my home a purebred (rescued) very Rotten-weiler, (my avatar) lover, sweetness personified, who thinks because she was a puppy with smaller dogs that she is Shitzu sized. I also have a purebred (purchased) Catahoula who is a sweet but way too smart for her own good, barker, herder. These are my childrens dogs that for various reasons live with me.
Other family members have had various dogs from a mini-maltese to an x-tra large lab. They and you will learn to live together.
On the Maltese side, I just buried my parents baby on Monday. They bought her as a puppie from a breeder who had health issues in her line from either too much in breeding or a poor match at some point. Missy was going to be 17 in May and she was very protective of my parents when they were alive, So much so that both my sis & I told Mom that she needed to stop Missy from being an ankle biter. She was laying on my mothers lap when Mom died, so they can be very affectionate and one person oriented if that is what you are looking for. If they are on the smaller side, playing ball or whatever in the house can give them enough exercise, although I also agree that if your husband is not able to let them out it may be a problem ALTHOUGH the only time Missy did not go potty outside was when my mothers health issues prevented her from being let out.
And, I also agree that we have WAY too many people who think that because they can make a buck or two that they can breed. If you are going to purchase from a breeder check them out thoroughly!!! If you are going to rescue, check them out thoroughly. My sis & I rescued a lab mix for our Aunt this past summer who wanted a companion dog. The dog is really too much for her, but gives a widow more comfort than we can judge.
People "say" don't go purebred, and people "say" don't go mixed breeds. I say you need to find the pet that fits with you and your husband which ever pet fits you...
What ever you decide, good luck with your new pet.

Susan
Old 02-01-2012, 08:11 AM

I have a cairn terrier He is the size you are looking for and he needs to be walked but a 10 min. walk is just fine with him
He has the same look as a westie and many people think that is what he is .He also gets along with our beagle. Grooms him regularly.