Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
What kind of thread do you use on your long arm machine? >

What kind of thread do you use on your long arm machine?

What kind of thread do you use on your long arm machine?

Old 12-23-2012, 07:10 AM

Mine is a new Nolting (they made Gammills in the 80's) and it does not seem to be picky. But, I like all cotton in my all cotton quilts and find Essentials Cotton thread the cheapest quality cotton thread I can find. I like King Tut and Superior as well but they are lots more. Any thread can dry out and break easily as can yarn. A lot depends on how you store it and where you live. I lived in AZ for 30 years with 10% humidity and in Colo for 16 years with 20% so I have learned to keep my yarn wrapped in plastic bags and my thread in hot wheels plastic containers and it does help.
Old 12-23-2012, 08:05 AM

Just a little note - these thread suggestions are great but I hope you DO get to experiment! I am currently shopping for a long arm but have used a lot of these threads in my domestic sewing machine and love a lot of them...but they all have different characterisitcs depending on what look you're trying to achieve. So Fine is great because it's low lint and it's what many of the local long armers use...but it's also just as it's name implies - FINE! Cotton tends to be chunkier and gives a different effect...So Fine and Bottom Line (comes on prewound bobbins AND on cones) are great for blending quilting...also So Fine doesn't have sheen like some of the other poly's and looks like cotton...something I like when a shiny embroidery kind of poly isn't appropriate. The finer poly's are great for detail work - while I like heavier cotton for widely space all over edge to edge quilting. Just something to consider!

I don't think anyone mentioned Signature thread...that is supposed to be a good inepxensive yet quality thread. I haven't any experience with it personally but was hoping to try it out when I get MY long arm!

Also a lot of people also like Isacord - it's an embroidery thread but many people use it for quilting and it's pretty inexpensive. 5,000 (yard or meter I can't remember which) cones are something like $13. It's shiny though, no matte colors as far as I know.

Last edited by pumpkinpatchquilter; 12-23-2012 at 08:10 AM.
Old 12-23-2012, 09:52 AM

I have an HQ16 and it likes just about any thread I use in it. I have no problems.
Old 12-23-2012, 05:11 PM

Try experimenting with different types of thread. Each machine has a tendency to like some over others, even within the same brand of machine. Superior Threads website has good information on different types of thread.
Old 12-23-2012, 05:55 PM

Even the same "brand" of machine may like different kinds of thread. My Voyager is picky! It works best with King Tut on top and Bottom Line in the bobbin. I keep trying different cheaper threads, but so far haven't had much luck. Connecting threads was a hassle. Anything I buy that my LA doesn't like, one of my domestic machines will like. I might try the glide though. I have a Voyager.
Old 12-23-2012, 07:23 PM

I used King Tut on top but for some reason my Tin Lizzie doesn't like it now and I'm using Coats and Clarks machine quilting thread - and it is working fine - go figure!
Old 12-23-2012, 08:21 PM

I also use Maxi Lock with my Gammill. I've used it for 6 yrs. and have not had any complaints.
Old 12-23-2012, 08:26 PM

Originally Posted by LuvQuiltin View Post
99.9% of the time, I use 100% cotton. I've tried a few brands but my machine loves King Tut. I try to buy it on sale. I've used a poly once but really didn't care for how it looked in the quilt. I can't remember the brand.
Ditto !!! Love King Tut.
Old 12-23-2012, 08:53 PM

I have a Martelli La cresta and he likes anything I put in! What a blessing.. I've used all the top names, serger thread, metallic, clear, coats and clark, embroidery thread you name it, I've tried it and it's worked. "Big Wally" is not the least bit fussy.
Old 12-23-2012, 08:56 PM

I use everything on my Handi Quilter Fusion. I will mix and match weights and types. For example, I may have King Tut on the top and Isacord polyester in the bobbin. You will have to just experiment.