301 Take-up lever

Old 02-16-2015, 05:53 AM

Originally Posted by OrangeSherbet View Post
There are some very knowledgeable folks on the following forum:
[email protected]
I have joined that group and really have a hard time getting around on it.
Helen Ann
Old 02-16-2015, 06:21 AM

Originally Posted by HelenAnn View Post
I have joined that group and really have a hard time getting around on it.
Helen Ann
You aren't the only one that has trouble with the Yahoo groups. I'm a member of the Japanese machine group and rarely go there. Navigating through it is a royal PITA, especially when you're on dial up.

Joe
Old 02-16-2015, 06:44 AM

I have trouble finding my way into and around the yahoo groups, too. Nearly impossible for me, actually.

Tammi, thank you so much for the explanation and photo. I woke with a major headache today, but hope to work on the 301 later, when the headache goes away. I will let you know what results I have. Do I loosen the smaller screw on top in order to get the larger "eccentric" screw below/behind it to be turned?
Old 02-16-2015, 07:57 AM
Power Poster

Tammi,
YOU ROCK - You not only know what you are doing but you can describe it so it makes sense.
Old 02-16-2015, 08:12 AM

" I woke with a major headache today, but hope to work on the 301 later, when the headache goes away. I will let you know what results I have. Do I loosen the smaller screw on top in order to get the larger "eccentric" screw below/behind it to be turned?[/QUOTE]

P.S. to my comment above... (blame it on my headache...) I reread and understand your explanation, now, to do just that, loosen the set screw and then adjust the large one. Thank you! Will try it later.
Old 02-16-2015, 08:37 AM

Thanks Tammi, the one 301 I had to try bending was for sure bent during shipping and hitting the machine and not loose. But the explanation you provided may come in handy some day.

I also can't stand the yahoo groups format. Drives me nuts. In case anyone is interested, I started a Vintage Bernina Sewing Machine group on Facebook. You have to join Facebook, then search for the group and request to be added. There are a few other vintage sewing machine groups, but I must say that a good portion of the postings on those are 'what is this worth' types and it gets a bit old.
Old 02-16-2015, 10:05 AM

Originally Posted by Candace View Post
I also can't stand the yahoo groups format. Drives me nuts. In case anyone is interested, I started a Vintage Bernina Sewing Machine group on Facebook. You have to join Facebook, then search for the group and request to be added. There are a few other vintage sewing machine groups, but I must say that a good portion of the postings on those are 'what is this worth' types and it gets a bit old.
Candace, thank you for the info on the Vintage Bernina group. I may join it as I have 2 vintage Berninas. The Yahoo groups are pretty bad, I agree.
Old 02-16-2015, 11:16 AM

Originally Posted by sdhaevrsi View Post
I have trouble finding my way into and around the yahoo groups, too. Nearly impossible for me, actually.

Tammi, thank you so much for the explanation and photo. I woke with a major headache today, but hope to work on the 301 later, when the headache goes away. I will let you know what results I have. Do I loosen the smaller screw on top in order to get the larger "eccentric" screw below/behind it to be turned?
The Yahoo groups have become almost un-usable since they went to their new "Neo" interface. The only way I manage to deal with them is to subscribe to the digests in my email and to read and reply to them that way.

Sorry to hear about your headache! Stubborn sewing machines are no fun with a headache! I saw that you figured out what to do below.

Just don't forget to tighten the set screw again when you're finished. I forgot to put that in my previous post and even went downstairs last night when I finally came in for the night to check to see if I'd tightened mine before I put the machine away.

Please let us know how you make out?

Originally Posted by miriam View Post
Tammi,
YOU ROCK - You not only know what you are doing but you can describe it so it makes sense.
Aww. Thanks Miriam. I've had some very good teachers.

Originally Posted by Candace View Post
Thanks Tammi, the one 301 I had to try bending was for sure bent during shipping and hitting the machine and not loose. But the explanation you provided may come in handy some day.
For sure bent/damaged is a completely different situation. Happy to help. I just wish I hadn't taken the original text at face value or we would have reached this conclusion faster.

This is the text that I'd misinterpreted to begin with:

"Turn the machine so you can see the back of the machine. Now look directly behind the take up lever and you will see a set screw. Loosen it and with your finger move the take up lever connection to the right and then tighten the screw. "
That sure looks to me like we're looking at the back, not the top. So I apologize everyone, I should have gone to the studio to look before posting the confusion.
Old 02-16-2015, 12:22 PM

with this, I'll apologize here to arch. and say I did get insulting, and after being insulted

at teh same time I do think the thread on that morse 2600 might show that's parts can be welded, re machined or reshaped back to a usable, functioning item.

even with this quote, if you have looked at your machine the wording is wrong. The adjustment is not directly behind the take up lever, in fact at the opposite side of the machine.

a postive can do attitude will get farther towards your goal, Than being the Driver of the naysay wagon

Last edited by xxxxxxxxxx; 02-16-2015 at 12:24 PM.
Old 02-16-2015, 12:24 PM

Thanks, Tammi, it was cool to see how that works, but it didn't raise the TUL as needed-though it did lower it a bit. :-/
Maybe someone else already tried that to fix it and had it raised as high as it would go. I did find that if you turn the adjustment knob a long way to the left (if you are facing it,) it stops the hand wheel from turning at all.)

So, maybe I will run it in to the OSMG and see if he can do something with it.

Edited: Found out he won't be in until next week. Bummer. How frustrating. It isn't like I NEED this 301 to sew with, but I feel like I am "undone" while it is dysfunctional. I don't know how you folks with a dozen waiting to go into the "hospital" on your counters deal with that. Haha!

Last edited by sdhaevrsi; 02-16-2015 at 12:35 PM.