301 Take-up lever

Old 02-15-2015, 12:33 PM

Tammy, I appreciate your more clear words, as that is how I am hearing the quote from SSS group, and the photo with the colored circles is very helpful.

And, 10X, I appreciate the photo you included, that is what I was thinking they must be referring to, although the wording from the SSS quote doesn't match.

I don't see that moving the TUL towards the faceplate, (away from the hand wheel,) would do a bit of good. Actually, it seems it would be more likely to hit other parts inside. The TUL doesn't hit either side of it's opening, but whacks into the bottom of the opening where it stops the movement.

I really appreciate your knowledge and experience in trying to figure this out!
Old 02-15-2015, 01:21 PM

the sss qoute doesn't match because there as in here it's the ol he said she said go around and none have ever done it.

I ask again about the face plate just to be clear on where it hits, in the pic it looks like at the bottom. Then in the post it says face plate, of course you do a visual of a face plate m without thinking of the 301's face plate being totally one of it own styling.

now that you see where there talking about did that work ? thats less than a 5 minute job
Old 02-15-2015, 03:29 PM

Iam not sure what you are saying in your post 10X
Old 02-15-2015, 04:10 PM

I don't understand just what you are saying in your last comment, 10X.

If you are asking about where the TUL hits, my first picture shows where the end of it hits the bottom opening of the faceplate... I haven't tried turning the screw you point out because I do not see where it could possibly alter the angles of the TUL end by moving the whole assembly away from the hand wheel and towards the faceplate...

Any ideas, Glenn?
Old 02-15-2015, 04:28 PM

Actually 10x, the discussion on the SSS board came up because someone asked almost the exact question that Sheri did. The person who responded had just done it to one of their own machines, described it for the OP and the OP said that it worked perfectly. I only didn't quote it exactly because that content belongs to the SSS group and the qb mods will censor it if I do. This is info from 2 people who have done it, no "he said she said". I will look when I get back in the house and snap pics. For now, I have priorities that are weather and daylight dependant and can't wait.
Old 02-15-2015, 04:39 PM

I am looking at the problem and see what I can come up with. I still say yours is bent down a bit. I will look tomorrow.
I do know what your problem is I just did not understand 10X's post.
Skip
Old 02-15-2015, 05:18 PM

Arch, I'm one of the people on sss
I don't understand where the handwheel thing came into this. That wasn't from me.

The eccentric pin at the top in my photo is the adjuster talked about.. That will move the take up lever / arm up or down. Not in or out. you see the pen at teh end is the set screw loosen that. just below is the end of the pin it has a screw slot, use a screw driver and turn it, as you turn watch the end of the arm..

two of my commercial machine use this same adjustment.

yes I get pretty flustered, take the time . to take pic's showing where this adjuster is, only to have some one else that has never seen this come in and say it's wrong because they read something, but don't understand what they read

as I said it's 5 minute fix, as long as the arm isn't bent to bad.
Old 02-15-2015, 08:05 PM

The handwheel reference was a misinterpretation on my part of the instructions posted in the sss group. More than one person was having difficulty interpreting what you were saying. I was trying to offer an easier way to understand it. I would prefer it though if you wouldn't assume you know what I have and haven't done or what I do and don't understand. I'm not the one who was suggesting prying on things that have proper adjustment ability.

Sheri, where the confusion was coming from is 10x was pointing to the set screw, not the adjustment. The "right" (as in "not left") reference is more clearly understood if you turn clockwise on the screw that faces the nose plate as shown below.

Once the set screw above this is loosened, turn this screw clockwise or counter clockwise to adjust.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]510405[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails image.jpg  
Old 02-15-2015, 08:53 PM

tami to defend myself my assumption is base on the fact that you said you had never done this.

as to the term prying , I welcome you to show where I used that.

with that said your right I should have never injected a word here , my photo's and term go over your head. because two of you have broken your own try's at straighten an arm meaning IT Can'T Be Done .

I thank you for stepping in and saving the day come heaven or hi water I'm going to find that access in the rear for that adjustment pin.

FYI, when you turn that adjuster don't push forward on it , you shove the pin outward, in fact you might want to put a finger on the front of the pin to make save it doesn't move out.

it;s not screw, it's a eccentric pin meaning it's like a cam on the arm end
Old 02-15-2015, 09:54 PM

Originally Posted by xxxxxxxxxx View Post
tami to defend myself my assumption is base on the fact that you said you had never done this.
I have not had to go looking for this setting on a 301 to date. I am far from clueless when it comes to the repair of these machines.

as to the term prying , I welcome you to show where I used that.
http://www.thefreedictionary.com/pry

v.
pried, pry•ing, v.t.
1. to move, raise, or open by leverage.
2. to obtain, extract, or separate with difficulty: to pry a secret out of someone.
n.
3. a tool, as a crowbar, for raising, moving, or opening something by leverage.
4. the leverage exerted.

I would clamp vise grips on the arm / tale up lever and just give it a slight pull up ward, aka rebend the arm
what works ever better to bend stuff like this is a piece of tubing slipped over the arm or like a deep well 1/4" socket with an extension as a handle
just get ahold of that area and tweak it down.

with that said your right I should have never injected a word here , my photo's and term go over your head. because two of you have broken your own try's at straighten an arm meaning IT Can'T Be Done .
No one said it couldn't be done, only that it shouldn't. It's really belittling an entire community though to be so presumptuous as to say that your comments go over everyone's head. Those of us who bother to try to decipher your atrocious spelling, grammar and punctuation are not inferior to you and I would guess that I'm not the only one who's offended by your implication of your higher intellect.

it;s not screw, it's a eccentric pin meaning it's like a cam on the arm end
Eccentric - Is an adjective. The item in question looks like a screw. Many people will understand "turn the screw" before they will understand the "eccentric pin needs adjustment". Yes, if I'd been thinking of nothing but sewing machines this evening, I would have realized it was a pin and not a screw but I had 5 minutes to look and see how this mechanism worked and then describe it so Sheri can fix her machine while taking a break from the other work I was doing. At the end of the day, my description was likely enough make it clear enough to see what needed to be done.