April - Boom 18

Old 01-25-2017, 06:19 AM

REMINDERS! PLEASE be sure to read and follow the fabric requests that come with each f8. If you are uncertain as to whether to use a certain fabric or not, PLEASE contact the owner BEFORE making the block.

Also, blocks should be measured as you go and they are to be 12 1/2 inches square. You all can do it!
Old 01-25-2017, 07:01 AM

Kass - I had no idea how to make that Dresden with only the two fabrics. My hat comes off as I bow to the queen of fussy.
Old 01-25-2017, 07:04 AM

Yesterday I went to see a Neuropsychologist. At one point she pulls out a box with 16 blocks. each block is red or white on the sides and have a red white HST on the others. She shows me the picture and I have to make it with the blocks. Easy Peasy for a quilter who plays with HST. She was amazed!!
Old 01-25-2017, 08:50 AM

You go travelinggramma. I love to hear these kind of stories.

I had my first of 2017 FallProof class with Maritza in it yesterday. We had fun. We sat on big stability balls, closed our eyes and moved around. We practiced the first strategy the body uses to prevent falls; ankle strategy and we practiced walking and stopping in ready position in case a 2 year old grandchild or cute little yorkie is running at us full tilt. We also do squats in my class. I tell them you gotta be able to get on and off the pot (toilet) or else your kids will send you to assisted living.

Two 90 year olds and 9 youngsters (70s and 80s) and four assistants in the class. Maritza was the fastest again, not that its ever a race. We all did great. Wish I could include all of you who need it in the class.

BTW my almost 95 year old mother lives in NY in a senior home, independent living . She has a better social life than I do. Life has been very good for her the last 14 years, living in this place. She has no qualms about moving to assisted living there if/when she needs it. I have to admit she does do her squats every day though.
Old 01-25-2017, 08:55 AM

Originally Posted by travelinggramma View Post
First timers - reminder - we all go at our own pace. Some leap in and complete them right away, some a bit slower. As long as they are done in time - don't get nervous. But don't wait to the last minute either!!
and some of us first timers didn't get their fabric prewashed so are still at that phase. I did do some block planning so I could know which fabrics to prewash and I am doing the same block several times if it works with a particular fabric.
Old 01-25-2017, 09:09 AM

MJP - I wish there was a class nearby- my mom really could use it. She does do her squats every day!!
Old 01-25-2017, 09:22 AM

Do you put Hershey kisses on the floor, one for each squat????? lol lol lol I might sign up for those squats.
Old 01-25-2017, 09:30 AM

I saved several blocks I thought would be cool w/ stripes (just in case, lol lol lol) One of the more complicated ones (hence more intriguing to me) will only work w/ Sewbiz's stipe. I drew it out odd shapes, odd sizes, then drew and cut individual color coded pieces from construction paper, dry fitted it, found some issues, I think corrected them. But the more I think about it the more I think I'll work this one up in my fabrics first, something is nagging at me, don't know what, but this one takes every thread of her striped fabric, any mistakes and the pieces will be hard to rework into something else b/c of the odd shapes and sizes.
Old 01-25-2017, 10:05 AM

Just checking in ladies. Will sew all the March blocks first and then start on these. I only do one group at a time.
Old 01-25-2017, 10:35 AM

Love the dressiness! I've yet to make one. They look so pretty.

Kathy hope all is well with you. Prayers sent your way.

TG what fun for someone to give you a bunch of quilt blocks to play with!