I got chosen..

Old 02-21-2011, 08:18 AM

Location: Ohio, the land of 4 seasons. sometimes all in the same week!

I'm nearing 60 and have never been called. don't know whether that is a good thing or I've missed out . . .
Old 02-21-2011, 08:23 AM

When you are notified here you are "on possible call" for 6 months. Both my hubby and I were notified last Summmer but neither had to report.
Old 02-21-2011, 08:32 AM

Originally Posted by pookie ookie
I get called constantly. Hope your service is uneventful.

Once had the most insulting trial from Hell. The majority of my fellow jurors thought it was okay for the defendant to beat his girlfriend because she was "so annoying." That was the defense's stance as well. If she had been physically attractive, we might have found him guilty.

I generally think most humans have some good sense hidden deep inside of them... and, then I serve on a jury. 80o Don't commit any crimes, folks.
That is TERRIBLE!!!!!!!
Old 02-21-2011, 08:34 AM

I hate jury duty! I was sequestered with a murder trial jury (I was an alternate), and that was the most horrible experience of my life. It was about 30 years ago in a small town. Local (very old) HI was the best accommodations we had. No TV, no newspapers, bailiffs had to check all our reading material, etc. And to top it all off, the murder had occurred about 1/2 mile from my home. A couple of years later, I was chosen for a child molestation trial. Another bad one, but not sequestered, at least. Last week, we had 2 murder trials on the docket, and I was terrified I would get called. It's enough to make you not want to vote or participate in your county, IMHO.

Good luck!
Old 02-21-2011, 08:37 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by NancyG
I always feel that it is my civic duty to serve on jury duty....but one year I got called 3 times....only had to serve once...but that was a bit much. I thought, can't they spread it around a little bit?
This is our family. We get called all the time. What is odd is that one of my adult sons is not an US citizen and he got called. How is that possible?

Sofar none of us had to serve. Maybe once they meet us they think we are too weird. DH is up next week. I hope they do not make him serve as we have our own business and it would be a financial hardship.
Old 02-21-2011, 08:40 AM

I got a letter to go but at the time I was on bed rest with our youngest child. She is now 3. :) I got out of it because I could barely get up to take a shower. (Placenta Previa)

My cousin had to serve don't remember much about it though. I don't think it was a huge deal of a trial though.
Old 02-21-2011, 08:41 AM

sorry...... double post
Old 02-21-2011, 09:12 AM

I'm 69 and have never been called, but both of my girls turned 18 they both got called and both of them were on a case. They haven't been called since.
Old 02-21-2011, 09:14 AM

man.. since I got married and changed my name I've been called at least 2 times a year. Been called at least 10 times in the 5 years I've been married. :( In 2008, when I was pregnant with my daughter and on bed rest they decided that I could serve on a jury, and the trial date was supposed to start about a week before my due date. that was so uncomfortable sitting there. They wouldn't even give me a potty break when I was 9 months pregnant.

Hate Jury Duty! I hope I never serve again. I've done 3 trials. Call someone else. My mother, active military all her life, has always wanted to serve. Never been called. How the heck do they keep calling me?????
Old 02-21-2011, 10:27 AM

I know some people think it is a hassle, but if I needed a jury trial I would hope that the jury pool would include good, honest, respectable people that did not to everything possible to get out of serving. I did get out of serving 22 years ago when I was a nursing Mom. Didn't get called until last fall - hope they didn't think I was nursing all that time?!?!?