Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Need some tips...a little overwhelmed >

Need some tips...a little overwhelmed

Need some tips...a little overwhelmed

Old 07-15-2011, 11:34 AM

What a great idea!
Old 07-15-2011, 11:39 AM

Being a career educator, everything is school related. Here is my way of thinking:
think Kindergarten.

Everything is at hand, and in a specific space, all the time, with a specific purpose. Art table has all the tools we need along with paper, and stays there. Same for reading center, with all materials organized by "zone.

Start small, and make it work for you. It wont be so overwhelming.........
Also, I have used easy cores to organize my fabric, so if you want more info, pm me and I will share the link.
Old 07-15-2011, 11:39 AM

Originally Posted by 76 and counting
This is just a tip I found to store my FQ's in. It is shelves to store DVD in and it is just the right size. I put them on cards . I buy the cards for $10.00 a 100 but you cut them in half so you have 200. It is so easy to see what you have.
Love this idea.....have to implement more of this!!
Old 07-15-2011, 12:39 PM

I have a bookcase similar to the one pictured. I noticed there is a space between the shelves and the molding. I'm going to adjust the shelves to hold bolts or half-bolts and store them on the shelves. We heat with wood in the winter so I'm going to place some flexible clear plastic in the space to keep the smoke smell away. Then I only need to slide them out when I need to select fabric.
Old 07-15-2011, 03:04 PM

My feeling is that I would just set up what you need then start a project. Everything will tell you where they belong. If it isn't comfortable or conducive to the movements you need, chg it. In time, everything will find their places.
Old 07-15-2011, 03:05 PM

Originally Posted by mrsj82
Hello all. I'm just trying to get some tips on a subject that has me completely flummoxed.

Recently we've moved into a new home (YAY!) and my quilting space has grown exponentially. The problem being is that I have absolutely no idea how to organize said space. I am used to having everything shoved away in bins out of sight, and the sewing space I've always dreamed of is now upon me, and I"m completely overwhelmed.

How does one organize five years of quilting stuff (in boxes and bins) into an organized at your fingertips room/space? I don't even know where to begin so any tips you have would be very much appreciated. I've attached some pictures of the space I have to work with and hoping someone can give me a jumping off point. Thanks!
The best advice I can offer is please store you fabric in a dark place, dark closet or chest of drawer.
As you sew in your new room you will realize how you want to arrange your sewing room. Don't be surprised about the time you finish you will decide to start all over.
Old 07-15-2011, 05:15 PM

Originally Posted by Traditional
Originally Posted by mrsj82
Hello all. I'm just trying to get some tips on a subject that has me completely flummoxed.

Recently we've moved into a new home (YAY!) and my quilting space has grown exponentially. The problem being is that I have absolutely no idea how to organize said space. I am used to having everything shoved away in bins out of sight, and the sewing space I've always dreamed of is now upon me, and I"m completely overwhelmed.

How does one organize five years of quilting stuff (in boxes and bins) into an organized at your fingertips room/space? I don't even know where to begin so any tips you have would be very much appreciated. I've attached some pictures of the space I have to work with and hoping someone can give me a jumping off point. Thanks!
The best advice I can offer is please store you fabric in a dark place, dark closet or chest of drawer.
As you sew in your new room you will realize how you want to arrange your sewing room. Don't be surprised about the time you finish you will decide to start all over.
You're so right. I've done this twice already. :)
Old 07-15-2011, 07:42 PM

Yes wouldn't that be a nice problem to have. I would start with more shelves, a design wall, a large table for a cutting area to begin with. Oh so many possibilities there. I would just have ro study the room for a while.
Old 07-15-2011, 08:11 PM

Don't forget about shelves for your books, magazines, patterns. Do you have yarn too? How do you store your thread? In boxes or on thread stands or on the wall? Do you stand to cut your fabric or sit? The height of your cutting mat might make a difference and therefore it's location. You might want 2 ironing stations set up. One by your machine so you can press as you sew and another on a big board in a different location.
Old 07-15-2011, 08:14 PM

sorry, organization is not what I'm known for. I barely get my stuff out bags I bought it in! ugh!