Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Did you learn to sew in Home Ec? >

Did you learn to sew in Home Ec?

Did you learn to sew in Home Ec?

Old 08-29-2011, 04:30 PM

That is where I learned the basics. My mom wasn't much of a sewer so I had to learn someplace. I remember having such clashes with my home ec teacher, but if it wasn't for her I wouldn't know how to thread a sewing machine.
Old 08-29-2011, 04:30 PM

I knew how to sew before I took Home Ec class. Thanks to my mom and Aunt. I also had learned basic crocheting from my grandmother and also counted cross stitch by this time. Once I was out of school, I kind of left everything alone. I picked up quilting about 9 years ago and have not looked back.
Old 08-29-2011, 04:34 PM

I took home ec, but learned to sew long before. I made a purple shirt waist dress with pleated skirt, set in short sleeves, button down the front of the top. But the girl who shared my machine had never sewed before, so she had to do a lot of frogging, which she did sitting at the machine. She insisted that a proper seam allowance was 1 1/4inch, couldn't figure out why nothing would work that way. When I objected, teacher told me I had to learn to share. Then I got in trouble for not having my work done. 1st class I flunked.
Old 08-29-2011, 04:35 PM

I learned in Home Ec. First project was an apron--BORING! I loved sewing and made a lot of my own clothes. I had to make my girls little dresses--no money and 3 girls. My DGM and DA were very good seamstresses. My Mom, not so much. She did a lot of ripping--tried, but had a hard time. By the time I was 13-14, I was helping my Mom. Lots of good memories.
Sue
Old 08-29-2011, 04:40 PM

Yes I did take home Ec... but my mom taught me the most.. Home ec was the class we took as a freshman that taught us to be women and wear foundation pieces... as they said then. I still got in on the girdles class.. lol... some cooking but more from my mom than from Home Ec.
Old 08-29-2011, 04:41 PM

Could already sew by the time I got to Jr High. The neighbor ladies taught me. My mom didn't sew as much as they did.
Old 08-29-2011, 04:46 PM

My sweet momma INSISTED that I take Home Ec in the 9th grade. I sooo had my heels dug in to hate it, but had the most wonderful teacher who taught me to sew... tried to teach the cooking and other stuff, but I was bored with that... love it now, of course, but could not get interested in it then.

I think they call it "Family and Consumer Sciences" or something like that these days.... there are some really great teachers out there teaching kids the skills we knew as "home ec."
Old 08-29-2011, 04:50 PM

I was taught to sew by my Great grandmother, Grandmother and Mother Before I was in school I worked a hand sampler by 7 or 8 I could handel a machine. When I hit my first Home Ec class in High School I knew more about sewing and my machine than the teacher did. LOL My first project was a pants suit for myself with bound button holes, an lapels on the jacket a hidden zipper in the back pants seam. Jacket and pants were lined with that new fabric RAYON!!! what a mess it all had to be stay stiched before sewing pieces together. She gave me a C on it boy was I pissed because she gave another girl a A on her apron that didn't have an even width on any of the seams. Teacher said I got a C because I took shortcuts, and did not follow the instructions word for word! That year I also beat the same Teacher at the County fair, (Mom entered my pants suit in the adult division), I took overall grand in the garment division, my teacher got a red ribbion. Great Grandma said, Don't let it go to your head you still need to shorten your stiches when doing hand work! LOL I never did get those stiches short enough for her.
Old 08-29-2011, 04:53 PM

I didn't ever sew before I was about 35. I still have never made any type of garment or curtain. Just quilts.
Old 08-29-2011, 04:58 PM

I was forced to take home ec in junior high since girls were not allowed to take auto shop which is what I wanted to take. I already knew how to cook and sew. I taught myself to sew years before. I hated that class because I knew shortcuts and easier ways of doing things that got me in trouble.