Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
How do you organize your projects, stash and scraps? >

How do you organize your projects, stash and scraps?

How do you organize your projects, stash and scraps?

Old 10-05-2011, 07:39 AM

Originally Posted by GwynR
I have a dozen of them with ongoing projects! :oops: :oops:
Oh my, do the quilt police know about this?

:lol: :lol: :lol:
Old 10-05-2011, 07:59 AM

Here is a link that craftybear shared awhile back, might be helpful.
http://www.ufo-rphanage.com/organizing.shtml
also I did a search how to organize your projects and came up w/ alot.
Happy organizing...come back and post pics cause we love pics.
Old 10-05-2011, 08:30 AM

Originally Posted by hobo2000
I get plastic food type containers from the Dollar store. The are about 10"x14" and 3" deep for $1.00. They stack beautifully and they are see thru. Works great!
I also use plastic shoe boxes or small plastic "totes" from the dollar store. They stack beautifully! I put unsorted scraps in a tote, and try to cut my scraps into shapes/sizes I know I will use later. Here are some pics:

Stacked
[ATTACH=CONFIG]266660[/ATTACH]

Close Up
[ATTACH=CONFIG]266661[/ATTACH]

green lids for 1/2 yd. and more cuts
[ATTACH=CONFIG]266662[/ATTACH]

Scaps until cut
[ATTACH=CONFIG]266666[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails attachment-266607.jpe   attachment-266608.jpe   attachment-266609.jpe   attachment-266613.jpe  
Old 10-05-2011, 09:01 AM

I keep my projects in clear boxes that measurer 12X12 used for scrapbooking .They cost me $3.00 a box at my local craft store. I keep my finished blocks and the material I am using for that project. I also like them because they are clear and I can see the the project and they are stackable too. I am sure if you looked up scrapbooking supplies you would be able to find them if not pm me and I will see if I can get you the company name Happy Quiltin!
Old 10-05-2011, 09:13 AM

I love your reply!!!

Originally Posted by Greenheron
It's rather complicated. The trash bag full of plaid factory cut outs is on the closed-in porch. The boxes of my late mother's stash cover the guest bed. The box of my oldest cotton scraps is in the closet. Blue jeans waiting to be ripped are on the upstairs bannister. Jeans fabric ready to cut is in a boot box on the floor. The quilt I'm working on made from thrift store star squares is on the coffee table and the top for my DS &DIL is folded over the back of a dining room chair. Ripped, washed and pressed recycled woolens are in color rolls in totes. Wool clothing waiting for same are piled in the middle of the guest room floor. Various cottons are on the dresser and two boxes of rescued patches and pieces are on an end table. Quilt top WIP for a dear friend is on the bedroom sewing machine. The pile of new old fabrics just in from the thrift store is on the clothes dryer awaiting the washer. The collection for the I-Spy is in a bag on the door knob of that closed porch. Everything else is.......oh, don't ask.
Old 10-05-2011, 09:36 AM

My DM lives in a very small apt. She stores most fabric in the bigger tubs--too bad they aren't clear... The projects she is working on and her UFOs are in recycled shoe and boot boxes--again not see thru. She used to label them but as time goes on the labels are no longer correct so it is a hunt and peck sort of way to find what she wants, but it works for her. LOL

I am having an antique dresser that was my DM's aunts refinished. This is going to be my new place to store my fabric. Right now??? Oh, my fabric is in the box that my sewing machine came in...LOL I hang smaller projects that are ready for quilting on hangers in half of a double door closet. Magazines and books are stored on the top shelf of the closet. Larger ones go to a LAQ. I do have a sewing cabinet for some of my sewing needs and a desk that was my FIL's that will hold some of my tools...(I need to complete emptying it to decide how to really organize it for me... I also have some totes for other crafts in the bottom of the closet. And finally, I have a peg board that is upstairs now but is to come down to my new sewing area off my living room. This will store all my rulers and other tools needed for various tasks.

As you can see my area is a work in progress and forget what it looks like when I am on a roll. I need to be better about cleanup but when someone comes by, I close off the french doors and let it be...LOL
Old 10-05-2011, 10:07 AM

Originally Posted by Navy Wife
Originally Posted by Charlee
Organized????? We're supposed to be ORGANIZED???? oh boy...I'm in trouble!!

;) :lol:
Me too! I start out organized, but by the time I get ready to sew, fabric is everywhere, and I'm working on another project than the one I started out with!
this is bad??
Old 10-05-2011, 10:14 AM

You ladies have convinced me I should be saving my scrapes. I am a die hard I just didn't want all those scraps, its not like I am going to live long enough to do all my projects I have saved anyway so why do I need to save scraps...well you have convinced me for a couple different reasons. But my biggie question is how do you store them and please don't tell me you just toss them in one storage tote, I am to anal for that...lol.
Old 10-05-2011, 10:17 AM

Originally Posted by Vickie350z
Well now that's a touch one for me, I've never been an organized person...LOL ... thank my sister got it all! But anyways I have plastic bins, plastic shevles and then recent cabinet that I found at a thrift store going out of business and on both sides it have peg boards to store some more thread... I'm trying to get organized...LOL all I can say is good luck!!!
Oh that is going to be so handy..have fun filling it up.
Old 10-05-2011, 10:27 AM

Hi! I have the fabrics sorted by color and in separate bins. Projects are in clearn pizza boxes with the pattern and material. I tape a post-it note on the pizza box of what project is in the works.