Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Do you refer to your quilting as a "hobby"? >
  • Do you refer to your quilting as a "hobby"?

• Do you refer to your quilting as a "hobby"?

Old 10-18-2011, 07:20 AM
    Power Poster

My quilting is a passion also.
    Old 10-18-2011, 07:25 AM

Originally Posted by leatheflea
    I'm a quilter, I dont mend thats all I care about. You can call me whatever you want as long as you dont call me to fix your pants.
    I love your attitude! I have told everyone that I will no longer mend, or alter for them after shortening the sleeves on a man's suit coat 3 inches.I was well paid, but it wasn't worth the frustration!
    Old 10-18-2011, 08:09 AM

I have many "hobbies." I enjoy decorating cakes and have been doing that for over 25 years. I don't do them often but have done a few for sale over the years including wedding cakes, anniversary cakes, etc. Most recently, I did my DS and DDIL's wedding and grooms cakes. I have acquired quite a few supplies (aka tools of the trade). I also enjoy tole painting and have quite a supply of "tools" for that. My grandmother taught me how to crochet when I was young and sometimes enjoy doing that.

HOWEVER...since I have started quilting less than 2 years ago...it seems more like a passion to me. It is still a hobby, just one I am very passionate about. I know a lot of people who have hobbies that to them are much like my cake decorating, painting and crocheting...they enjoy them and may be passionate about them while going through the process, but do not really think about them at other times. I also know other people who have hobbies that to them are much like quilting is to me...they spend quite a bit of time thinking about what they are working on and what they want to work on next. They enjoy talking about it and can't figure out why everyone around them isn't as interested.

My boyfriend is really into cars (especially Corvettes...he has 5) and is also a big NASCAR fan. He is really impressive in that he can see a picture of just a small portion of a car and tell you the year, make and model. When we go to car shows, he will point out the different parts of a car and tell me what years the maker used that design and what design they changed it to after that. He is passionate about cars!!! At first he just considered my quilting as another hobby until we went to a quilt show last February. I was telling him the names of the different patterns and if they were hand quilted or machine quilted and was explaining the different techniques to him. When we left he made the comparison that quilting is to me what cars are to him...Now he understands that quilting is a hobby, but it is also my passion!!
    Old 10-18-2011, 08:21 AM

Originally Posted by ghostrider
    Not a hobby for me…it’s a sport. There’s the training, the competition, the marathon runs, the short sprints, the equipment purchases, the sore muscles, the scheduling, team meets and solo events, the thrill of victory, the agony of defeat…definitely a sport.
    Love this definiton!!... especially because I am also an avid cyclist (raced a bit also) and volleyball player.
    Old 10-18-2011, 08:26 AM

Originally Posted by annthreecats
    Quilting is a hobby for me, like sewing clothing, knitting, and crocheting. I make things for my pleasure and for family and friends, not to sell.
    Ditto!
    Old 10-18-2011, 08:28 AM

Originally Posted by Moonglow
    Quilting is past being a hobby to me - it's something of a passion now.
    Ditto.
    Old 10-18-2011, 08:34 AM

I call it a hobby, but also part of my outreach to the poor. So in some ways it is a ministry. :)

But it is a hobby as opposed to something I get paid for (like a long-arm quilter).

I think you can have people who have hobbies that they are passionate about and some who just dabble. I think it is the same with quilting.
    Old 10-18-2011, 08:39 AM

I call it my avocation. Not pro but more than a hobby.
    Old 10-18-2011, 08:39 AM
    Power Poster

No not a hobby for me, to me hobby means once in a while thing. My quilt making is just part of everyday life, like eating and sleeping. I try to do some part of the quilting process everyday. I finished a quilt last Thursday, took a weekend trip and now trying to pick out the next pattern to start on, almost decided and will start cutting soon.
    Old 10-18-2011, 11:06 AM

Quilting is an art!