Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
do you still have your wedding dress? >

do you still have your wedding dress?

do you still have your wedding dress?

Old 10-20-2011, 07:02 AM

It hasn't been that long (16 years), but managed to survive some major crises. I sewed the dress myself and I still have it (it's hanging in the cold storage in the basement) along with the shoes. Needless to say - I wear the ring everyday :-)
Old 10-20-2011, 07:03 AM

I loved my wedding dress and I have no idea what happened to it. We went overseas for some years and it must have gotten lost then. It was a light blue background with small flowers on it; frankly sort of a hippie dress, gathered at the waist, rounded neck. I got a light blue shirt for my husband and painted similar flowers up the front of his shirt. It was a long distance courtship (he said we had to get married; he either had to marry me or Ma Bell and I was younger, because he couldn't afford us both!).

When I told him, over the phone about the fabric I was so excited about it that he said, "If you like it that much you should have bought the whole bolt. I went back and did! and made us a bedspread and curtains out of it. All gone now, after only 40 years!

We had arranged our marriage on one of his visits and were married in a small Catholic mission church with 20+ immediate family and friends standing right around the alter. We got to choose our readings and our vows (simpler days then). The priest asked my mom to give us the final blessing at the end and she burst into tears, got mad at herself and said, "No one told me this was going to be so beautiful!" and then she blessed us properly. It was the perfect wedding!!!!! Of course, having the perfect man helps.
Old 10-20-2011, 07:32 AM

Originally Posted by woody
Yes, I still have mine, my mother made it for me, and I will treasure it always
Ditto.
Old 10-20-2011, 07:59 AM

Have my dress, and DD wore it 5 years ago as well.
Old 10-20-2011, 08:00 AM

Married second time wearing a cream colored dress and yes it's still in the closet. I never wore it again and now it's too big. First time I can say that in 60 yrs! I was chunkier the second time I got married!
Old 10-20-2011, 08:03 AM

No our house was broken into and they stole my wedding dress and veil and all my jewelry. I was more upset that they got the gold cross that my Grandmother had given me than the fact that they got my dress. I still get bummed by it sometimes. :( But life goes on. :)
Old 10-20-2011, 08:28 AM

I still have mine. I was smaller when I married then all three of my daughters. They needed new dresses. I am no longer even close to thinking about trying it on!
Old 10-20-2011, 09:11 AM

Yes, I do have my wedding dress. My mother wore it in March 1954 and I wore it June of 1981.
It was white for mom and candlelight for me. My daughter had hoped to wear it, but not sure she can now due to an accident with it.
It is very formal with bridal satin skirt and long train, heavy lace overlay on bodice and skirt, button up back and seed pearls on the bodice and long sleeves. Mom was the daughter of an auto mobile mechanic in Chicago and she worked as a secretary. She spent a month's salary on the dress. I was so happy to not have to spend money on a dress, and could wear her fairytale princess dress.
Somehow the acid free box it was stored in got put into the cedar chest during a move. I was sick to my stomach when I found it in the cedar chest and it was now a brown/tan color.
Old 10-20-2011, 09:13 AM

My "dress" was a white eyelet skirt and white pleated shirt. The skirt was given to my Goddaughter on her Sweet 16 with the request that it would be used as some little part of her wedding. She cried, I cried. I also gave her my hope chest.
Old 10-20-2011, 09:17 AM

After 41 years I got rid of it a couple of months ago. The same day my daughter asked me if she could use it for a costume party. My wedding dress would be a gag costume. Oh, the heartbreak of it all. :)