Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Sticker Shock >

Sticker Shock

Sticker Shock

Old 10-26-2011, 06:06 AM

My LQS honors JoAnns coupons up to 40%
Old 10-26-2011, 06:11 AM

A friend and I wait for sales at Fabric Depot.com in Portland,OR. I get their e-mails, they have Warm and Natural batting from 30 to 40% off fairly often. We combine our order and share shipping cost. When I am in that area a couple times a year I go to their store, always have sales and the store is huge. Love it, love it, love it, and no tax. Check it out.
First time to reply like this so hope it comes up right. :)
Originally Posted by Zhillslady
I like the Dream Green and it helps the enviroment. It costs about $14 for a twin size. Also Connecting Threads had Hobbs on sale for 30% and I think they do a couple of times a year. I bought the cottom twin size for $11 I think.

Most of my quilts go to charity so I'll watch this post for alternatives.
:-D :-D
Old 10-26-2011, 06:13 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by echoemb
I always suspect that they raise the prices on items so when they put them on sale they are the regular retail price after you apply the coupon. I'm not organized enough to keep old receipts but I wouldn't be surprised that this isn't what is happening.
no, it is not...the prices of cotton batting have gone up nearly 3 times this year alone!
my wholesale cost is now what the OLD retail price just last year!
as in if it sold for $20 retail last year, now my wholesale is $20...which means the retail is now $40!

scary times...but chains like Joanns are doing all they can to keep those prices low. Their only other option is to go back to the way it was in the 90's and print their coupons to say "does not include batting"
Old 10-26-2011, 06:15 AM

Cotton has gone up so everything made with cotton has gone up even blends it isn't just joanns its all over - but poly or blends to save money (I use poly for kids quilts myself as they have to be laundered so often... it is just an unfortunate issue we have to deal with because of the cotton market...get it on sale if you can!
Old 10-26-2011, 06:17 AM

Get registered with www.connecting threads.com

They carry fabulous fabrics and Hobbs batting. When they have a sale it's great. Can's say enough good things about this company.

Also register with www.shoppersrule.com

They have great specials on various quilt and embroidery supplies and they don't bombard you with emails nor does Connecting Threads.
Old 10-26-2011, 06:17 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by barblr
and no tax.

this is going to change..in fact your state might be one of the 24 that already have the law that states that YOU purchase something online, then YOU are responsible for claiming/filing those taxes on your return at the end of the year. It is up to YOU to be honest and do that.

Oklahoma is one of those 24 states. Now when I buy from Amazon a box comes up when I type in my addy that reminds me what the sales tax is and that "I" am responsible for paying it!

There are BIG changes coming across the country to Tax laws that will require ALL online businesses to charge sales tax on ALL transactions being shipped to states that charge sales tax!
Old 10-26-2011, 06:26 AM

As most of the readers say, watch the Joann's sales and purchase "Warm and Natural " ahead. Not that long ago, they had a sale for queen size, warm and natural batting, for $12.99, so I purchased two packages. That was a one day sale, and my bargain for the day.
Old 10-26-2011, 06:30 AM

Hancocks their battings are all better priced than JoAnns as a matter of fact so is their fabrics and they have great shipping deals too
Old 10-26-2011, 06:36 AM

Connecting Threads when it is on sale. No shipping over $50 order and right now promo code TRYITQNN gives free shipping on any amount.
Old 10-26-2011, 06:36 AM

Originally Posted by carolynbb
My goodness - 118 miles round trip just to hit a JoAnns!! You must live in the country!! That's not a bad thing - I love the counrty - but still...I don't think I'd go shopping very often. I actually like shopping online.
Actually it is that many miles one-way for me! Yes, I live in the middle of nowhere but I like it here.