Kindle

Old 03-25-2012, 08:03 AM

I got my kindle for Christmas (the basic one, no color) and really love it. It is easy to hold in one hand if you are laying in bed! It is easy to use, download, etc. Battery seems to last a long time. I have been paring down my shelves and plan to buy more books online to declutter the house a bit. Also, my local library will soon have the ability to loan me books on kindle. I can hardly wait!
Old 03-25-2012, 08:04 AM

Best Buy has both the Kindle and the Nook. You can look through the "store" in your "books" app to see books. It will list which are free and how much you have to pay for books that are not free. I also have lots of free games for my grandkids when they come over.
Old 03-25-2012, 08:20 AM

Default Love my Fire!

My DH and I received a Kindle Fire for Christmas from our kids, and at first I thought I wouldn't use it much for reading. Boy, was I WRONG!!! After playing around with it over the holidays I realized how much more than reading can be done on this little device. It's wonderful! I don't have a laptop or an Ipad, so this Kindle Fire is the next best thing! It's small and easy to tuck into my purse, but still has a larger screen than a smart phone (which I also do NOT own). I can do anything on it except make phone calls and take pictures. I spend endless hours reading the books from our library, or the free Amazon books that are available. I surf the internet, watch videos, play games, and most of all check my email and read this board! This fall my DH can even check the stats on his Fantasy Football (Yes, there's a free ap for that!) without running upstairs to check on our desktop computer.

If you can afford it, I would recommend you spend the extra money and get the Kindle Fire, since it's so much more than a book reading device.
Old 03-25-2012, 10:05 AM

I received a Kobo Vox for my retirement present. I love it now that I have most of the quirks worked out. You can play games, surf the net, down load tons of apps, watch movies, Oh and I can read books.
Old 03-25-2012, 10:26 AM

I have a Nook, and I love it. But I did my homework because I'm avid reader. 76 books last year), and I wondered about back-lit versus e-ink regarding eye problems. I found out that avid readers should use the e-ink version, as it is like a book; whereas back-lit books should only be used if you don't read as intensely as it would be just like using a computer screen which is hard on your eyes. Also, back-lit books can't seen outside. To use an E-ink reader at night, as in bed, you must use a book light.

P.S. Kindles, Nooks, etc. are great for travel! I no linger carry seven books with me.
Old 03-25-2012, 10:29 AM

I have the Nook Color and the Kindle, Amazon downloads in a few seconds but BN takes almost a 30 minutes to download some. Try Kindle Nations for free also.
Old 03-25-2012, 11:00 AM

The Nook was the first to hook to ALL libraries. Kindle only does certain ones. Two of my locals do not allow Kindle. Please check with your local libraries first.
Old 03-25-2012, 11:46 AM

Love, love, love my Kindle. Did I say love??? Yup. I've read so much more due to the convenience and also there are many free books out there. Download takes seconds, and if the free book (many by unknown authors) isn't to my liking I can just delete. My Kindle is not the fire.... just a plain simple one. That's all I need. For me a Kindle is to read books, not watch a movie.... IMHO...
Old 03-25-2012, 12:09 PM

Originally Posted by janRN View Post
I have the "basic" cheapest version of the Kindle and I wouldn't give it up. I read a lot and found I was running out of shelves for "real books". I don't plan to upgrade; I'm afraid I'd spend too much time on the internet. I just like to read books on mine or play some of the free games.

Here's a great site to get free Kindle books (someone on here posted it before). They send you an email each day with 6-10 free books that you then order from Kindle store on your Kindle.
www.pixelofink.com
Thanks for this link! I don't have a Kindle, but plan to by the NEW IPad once it is available at my Sams Club! About 3 weeks they told me, looking forward to it!!!
Old 03-25-2012, 12:19 PM

I have the Kindle touchscreen. I got it in 3G and it has WiFi also. I really like it! The main disadvantage is that it's in black and white rather than color but that's ok for reading. You won't need the 3G if you have a network at home to pick up WiFi. I like the touchscreen but 3 members of my family have the navigation key one for $79 and they love them. The touchscreen is useful if you will be playing games on it.