Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
So, what is the "legal" definition of a quilt?? >

So, what is the "legal" definition of a quilt??

So, what is the "legal" definition of a quilt??

Old 08-24-2012, 04:21 AM

Of course it's a quilt! But as someone else said, if you are selling it online, you might want to add a few more descriptive terms than just "quilt". I think sometimes a "quilt" is about as descriptive as a "dog". Perhaps " flannel, hand-tied" would let those who are looking for that know what you have to sell.
Old 08-24-2012, 04:23 AM

I will never understand why people who have never sewn a stitch in their lives, let alone made a quilt thingk they're so qualified! I am still a newbie, a rank amateur, and I would never try to tell anyone else what they've made is "not a quilt". I was one of five children, and times were financially very hard, but the ladies from our church gave us fabrics, all kinds of fabrics (you see, our home burned and we lost everything) and my mother made tied quilts because they were faster to make. With a little instruction, my sisters and I were able to help a little, and we were able to keep warm despite the winter cold. Someone needs to get a life of their own! There's an old song out from some 30+ years ago "Mind your own business, if you mind your business, then you won't be minding mine" .. .LOL!

Jeanette Frantz

Last edited by Jeanette Frantz; 08-24-2012 at 04:25 AM. Reason: words left out
Old 08-24-2012, 04:34 AM

I was taught, "It's not a quilt until it's quilted." But that was years ago ... I think a lot has changed.

Perhaps you could advertise as "Hand Tied Quilt"?
Old 08-24-2012, 05:13 AM

I went back and looked at my listing, under the details I said, knotted quilt, flannel front and back with polylite batting. Hmm. Couldn't be too much clearer. Love this board and all the support that is always here for the asking.
Old 08-24-2012, 06:07 AM

The only definition I have ever heard for a quilt is that it must have a front, a batting and a backing. Yours certainly qualifies. I'm sorry you received a nasty comment.
Old 08-24-2012, 06:18 AM

Doesn't that idiot QP realize that nearly all quilts were made by tying before the advent of the sewing machine? Even then, not all persons could affort a sewing maching. Tell them to get a life and go bug someone else!
Old 08-24-2012, 07:09 AM

Originally Posted by oldquilter View Post
I went back and looked at my listing, under the details I said, knotted quilt, flannel front and back with polylite batting. Hmm. Couldn't be too much clearer. Love this board and all the support that is always here for the asking.
Maybe the QP is able to read but has an extreme problem, with comprehension.
Old 08-24-2012, 07:58 AM

No you are not wrong! There are many different types of quilts, and as long as you were clear in your description of it, you don't need to worry about what one idiot said!
Old 08-24-2012, 08:01 AM

Probably someone who has never picked up a piece of fabric or used a sewing machine. Maybe they watched a show on PBS for 5 minutes and now they are an expert.
Old 08-24-2012, 08:10 AM

I love ALL Y'ALL !!!! This post has just cracked me up this morning...and i needed the smiles today. To "oldquilter" .....forget that it's even about the quilts....there are just some people who can only feel good about themselves if they are making someone else feel "bad" about themself. Brush it off and forget it.