Annoying The Quilt Police

Old 08-27-2012, 07:10 AM

Originally Posted by BETTY62
The quilt policy are rude people. I try to avoid them at all times.
I agree! They ARE just rude people, and they probably give their opinion to everyone, on every subject- we just see them in quilt siituations! BUT, when someone ASKS why their points don't match, or seams come together properly, I DON'T think it's " quilt police-y" to tell them why. As a quilting teacher, I guess that's just habit. I think of it like this - if I saw someone heading to the laundromat with an armful of clothing and were complaining that they kept dropping stuff, I don't think I would be the "laundry police" to suggest it might be easier to carry the wash in a laundry basket. If someone were proud of something, or happy with their project, I would NEVER say anything bad, but if they commented that they could never get a border straight or whatever, I'm afraid I might suggest what they could do to help. I hope thats not the quilt police!
Old 08-27-2012, 07:43 AM

Location: A Hop from Heaven, a Skip from Sanity and a Jump from the Good Life....

Originally Posted by renee765
I'm afraid I probably drive the Quilt Police batty. Like others, I don't always pre-wash, if I did, I might have to actually use my iron more frequently. I always change my machine needle - when it breaks. Squaring up blocks - only if I can't tell what shape they were supposed to be. Pressing the seams to the dark side - again, that would require me using my iron. I prefer to save the electricity. My quilts are all embellished with cat hairs - although I do make attempts to keep the quilt-in-progress covered by sheets while I am working on it. My free motion quilting is very 'free' - I meander where I feel like it. Hand quilted stitches are not exactly uniform because hey, variety is the spice of life. (No two snowflakes are alike, and neither are my hand quilting stitches.) I mix colors and prints the way I think they look right. Sometimes I even mix LQS fabric with WalMart fabric if I like the way it looks together. Gasp!

I quilt because it brings me joy. I quilt because I like to put love into every stitch, and when someone receives a quilt from me they can know that I thought about them the whole time I was creating it.

you are my kind of quilting buddy !!!!
Old 08-27-2012, 08:31 AM

Originally Posted by renee765
I'm afraid I probably drive the Quilt Police batty. Like others, I don't always pre-wash, if I did, I might have to actually use my iron more frequently. I always change my machine needle - when it breaks. Squaring up blocks - only if I can't tell what shape they were supposed to be. Pressing the seams to the dark side - again, that would require me using my iron. I prefer to save the electricity. My quilts are all embellished with cat hairs - although I do make attempts to keep the quilt-in-progress covered by sheets while I am working on it. My free motion quilting is very 'free' - I meander where I feel like it. Hand quilted stitches are not exactly uniform because hey, variety is the spice of life. (No two snowflakes are alike, and neither are my hand quilting stitches.) I mix colors and prints the way I think they look right. Sometimes I even mix LQS fabric with WalMart fabric if I like the way it looks together. Gasp!

I quilt because it brings me joy. I quilt because I like to put love into every stitch, and when someone receives a quilt from me they can know that I thought about them the whole time I was creating it.
i agree 100%. i am in the process of finishing a table runner for my nephew and his bride. didn't get it finished in time for the wedding. but now i am looking at it and the blocks are kinda wonky but you know what - i don't care and neither will they! they are a kinda wonky couple anyhow (thank god they found each other cuz i don't know if there would be anyone else out there that would put up with their craziness - i love them to pieces!) but the table runner is done in their favorite colors so i know they will like it! they know how much i love both of them and will appreciate me trying to do it in their colors!of course i am making them a rag quilt once i find some nice red, black and either white or silver flannel!
Old 08-27-2012, 08:51 AM

Originally Posted by clsurz
I live to annoy and confuse the quilt police so do any of you here do the same?

If so what have you done to annoy them?
I don't have to work at it...it just comes natural. LOL>>>>>
Old 08-27-2012, 08:53 AM

Nah! I just figure if you don't like it, don't look!
Old 08-27-2012, 08:54 AM

Nope, just someone trying to help someone improve when they ask....

Originally Posted by quiltmom04
I agree! They ARE just rude people, and they probably give their opinion to everyone, on every subject- we just see them in quilt siituations! BUT, when someone ASKS why their points don't match, or seams come together properly, I DON'T think it's " quilt police-y" to tell them why. As a quilting teacher, I guess that's just habit. I think of it like this - if I saw someone heading to the laundromat with an armful of clothing and were complaining that they kept dropping stuff, I don't think I would be the "laundry police" to suggest it might be easier to carry the wash in a laundry basket. If someone were proud of something, or happy with their project, I would NEVER say anything bad, but if they commented that they could never get a border straight or whatever, I'm afraid I might suggest what they could do to help. I hope thats not the quilt police!
Old 08-27-2012, 09:01 AM

For me, the key words here are..."if they ask". If I ask for someones opinion that's one thing, but if they start in on everything they see wrong, then I'm intimidated. I don't sew and "quilt" or whatever it is I do to be criticized for everything I've done wrong. I know I make a lot of mistakes but sewing keeps me sane and happy. We all know "if mama ain't happy ...ain't nobody happy!" LOL
Old 08-27-2012, 11:31 AM

There are several officers buried in my cellar. Their noses turned up when I related how much fun it is to turn shirts into quilt fabric so I used my good old 12" shears to disassemble them.
Old 08-27-2012, 12:27 PM

If the quilt police came to my house they would probably drop over dead. I quilt for fun and love and is all I have to say about the quilt police.
Old 08-27-2012, 12:44 PM

Yeah the quilt police wouldn't like me either. I do it my way and only my way. Now if I ask for advice or I will search for easier ways to do things. But still it's my way. What comes easy to some might be hard to others and vise versa. I love to quilt and when I started out I sewed blocks together and then layer it on the floor and tied it off with yarn. I knew nothing about free motion or anything. I have learned a lot from this board and just searching for answers. I still have a long ways to go and sure will probably never be perfect but at least I care enough to try and make quilts Who ever doesn't like my quilt then can look the other way. I love what I do and that's all,that matters. Like I tell my children a gift truly isn't a gift until received. I kept many gifts someone should of had because of their negativity . So don't worry just quilt and have fun fun and more fun.

Last edited by owlvamp; 08-27-2012 at 12:48 PM.