Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • How many quilt on reg sewing machine? >
  • How many quilt on reg sewing machine?

• How many quilt on reg sewing machine?

Old 02-12-2013, 10:00 PM

I quilt on my Brothers. I use Machinger gloves and it works fine. I do have a mid arm but haven't learned how to load the quilt yet.
    Old 02-12-2013, 10:12 PM

I quilt all of my own quilts (over 300 now) on my Regular size Bernina. I have quilted 9 queen size, lots of doubles and mostly lap size. I have a king size quilt that I will start quilting FMQ on here soon for my daughter. It will be a killer on my shoulders and will take quite a while but I will get it done.

My newest Grandson, Caleb Austin, was born May 29th. I am now Grandma to 4 precious babies. I am so blessed!!!!
    Old 02-13-2013, 04:23 AM

I have a Juki TL98Q and I have been machine quilting since 1999. I do meandering or stitch in the ditch, or straight quilting diagnonally. I have done 3 or 4 king size quilts and many queen size, but I find as I am getting older, and the tendonitis in my right arm flares up more often, that I am not doing as many of the big quilts anymore. I also use gloves to do the meandering. I use "16" Schmetz needles and one of three types of batting: 100% cotton; 80/20 Hobbs, and occasionally 100% polyester.
    Old 02-13-2013, 04:26 AM

I have LA but I quilt on both.
    .MaryKatherine
    Old 02-13-2013, 04:59 AM

I do all of my own quilting on my Bernina 440QE with the BSR I also do large quilts in sections love my machine but one with a larger throat space would be wonderful
    Old 02-13-2013, 05:01 AM

I have a Janome HD3000. I piece and quilt with this machine. The machine does sit down in a cabinet with a quilt table that folds out of the back of the table which works great! If I need more space to hold the quilt I move Margaret (my Grandma Margaret's sewing machine/table over and use it too to help hold the quilt.) I've quilted lap size, twin size and regular size on it but haven't tried a queen size yet. When I try one that large it may have to be done in sections.
    Old 02-13-2013, 05:14 AM

I've quilted three king size, two queen size, and goodness only knows how many full size quilts on my domestic machine. I've done free motion, stenciled patterns, and about any other combination one can think of. If you have adequate support to the left of your machine and in front of it, you will have no problems quilting on your regular machine. I've tried different methods to support the quilt and have zeroed in on the 2 x 4 folding tables that are adjustable height to get the height exactly at the level at which you're sewing. Tables are available at Sam's Club, Amazon.com, and I've also seen them at WalMart. Enjoy quilting on your small machine. You will learn to love it.
    Old 02-13-2013, 05:24 AM
    Swap Hosts

I quilt on a regular machine but am just beginning to do FMQ. Thinking of investing in one of those magnetic hoops one of these days http://www.dzgns.com/products/*/*/7926
    Old 02-13-2013, 05:31 AM

I quilt on my Bernina 820 machine that has one of the biggest throat openings for DSMs & there are times it gets a little frustrating but it can be done. I love my Bernina & can't imagine quilting on a DSM with a smaller throat opening than mine but I know others have done it & they have my utmost respect because I am sure it would test my patience. I have done 1 queen & several double size & twin size quilts.
    If you have the skill
    & the patience almost anything is possible. Good luck deciding which DSM you buy.
    Old 02-13-2013, 05:36 AM

I have quilted several queen size quilts on my domestic. I do have a Janome-Horizon which has a larger throat area. However, I have done one on my Babylock before I purchased the Janome. So much easier with the wider throat. So, it can be done.