Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
what do you do with your finished quilts and quilting? >

what do you do with your finished quilts and quilting?

what do you do with your finished quilts and quilting?

Old 08-03-2013, 05:03 AM
Power Poster

I give most of mine to friends and family...
Old 08-03-2013, 05:09 AM

I rarely make a large quilt without an intended recipient and I usually have a waiting list. But now and then I can find the time to make small quilts and donate them to children's hospitals, womens shelters, pregnancy life centers, nursing homes, etc. There is a lot of satisfaction in making a quilt and then just giving it away to someone who will love and cherish it regardless of pattern, color, or if it is $10 per yard fabric. They don't have to be perfect or fancy....just durable. I enjoy making those way more than having to fuss over a quilt that is going to a loved one.
Old 08-03-2013, 06:06 AM

Originally Posted by QuiltE View Post
When I realized I was "pumping them out" too fast, and knew I was going to have "too many" ... I upped my style. I don't have kids, thus no grands, and no need for gifting them to the extended family. Yes, I give to charities, my favourite being the local Hospice Home.

So to slow down the mass production ... I went for more intricate work, that was going to be more of a challenge and/or take more time to do. Plus, I started to learn how to do the actual quilting. Both have helped reduced the quantity, and sure have improved the quality. And yes, I still toss in some easy-peasy ones too!

It's been more than worthwhile ... and I love the improved results!
I absolutely agree with this....since I have been in the quilt world....more than 30 years, I have seen quilting going the way the rest of society. Just take a look at all the magazine titles, etc..."Quick, fast, easy....etc...I much more prefer quality over quantity. I think future generations are not going to treasure quilts quite as much because there will be sooooo many out there. Just "IMHO". I know not all will agree with me and I respect every quilters right to do as they please, so this is not meant to start a heated debate...just sayin.
Old 08-03-2013, 07:21 AM

Originally Posted by Lori S View Post
I do sell a great deal of what I make. I also give mine to family..and friends. Seems like when I get started , and by the time I finish someone makes a comment about how much they like it... so off it goes.

Most of mine go the same way Lori S's do! LOL! I have fun buying the fabric, having the fabric, sometimes petting the fabric, making the quilt, and then giving it away to someone who loves it!
Old 08-03-2013, 08:08 AM

Originally Posted by Peckish View Post
Give as gifts to friends and family. Give to charity. Give to auctions for charity/local schools/fundraisers. Rotate them on my beds every couple of months. Hang as decorations and rotate those every few months.
You said it so well. I would imagine it applies to many of us who have been doing this for twenty plus years. It gets expensive but it keeps us out of the bar rooms, HA!
Old 08-03-2013, 09:54 AM

Hi 321,some of mine have been gifted to family-- not so many as they are not that 'into quilts' , sigh.Most of the others have been given as charity gifts, prem babies etc. The rest kept to wrap visiting friends and on our beds, couches etc.None wasted as I just love making them. At the moment though I am so sad that , because of spinal and neck problems I am losing the feeling in my fingers which means it is so hard to hold a needle. Not to worry, I am trying to learn free motion embroidery, there is always another way isn't there ? In the meantime I love this board and visit every day for inspiration. Love Letty.
Old 08-03-2013, 10:15 AM

I'm still working on family quilts...more than enough to keep me busy for a LONG time!
Old 08-03-2013, 01:17 PM

all of our beds have quilts, gifts, and charity
Old 08-03-2013, 03:32 PM

This is an interesting question to think about. All my life I have simply loved quilts. When I was young I really longed to have one from someone... I always thought I'd get one from my grandma, or my mom... but I never did. Then I started making quilts some years ago. I loved every single one I made and I enjoyed rotating them at the change of season or for any other reason that struck my fancy. I finally had quilts. So for a long time I've kept many of my quilts.

I have made some for charity, others for QOV, others for a nursing home.. I make one every year to raise money for our Navy sailor's association... but still I have quite a number of quilts. I still love each one, and change them out around the house all the time.. but, I am beginning to think enough is enough. I've given several to my children, and to other special people, but I'm going to have to decide where I go from here.

I have found it hard to just let them go. Reading threads over time and this one today, seem to indicate many of you simply 'make and give' them away. Reading those comments has, at times, made me feel selfish and uncaring (no offense intended or taken), but there in is the rub... keep or give, I can argue for either side!
Old 08-03-2013, 03:42 PM

I have given one away to my niece. She's an adult now so I need to make her an adult quilt now. I have made some small quilts for a charity. The rest of what I am working on is for me. It may be selfish but I make what I like and those around don't want a quilt because I have asked and gotten lukewarm responses. So I make quilts for me and charity.

FREE Quilting Newsletter