Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Has anyone been to Paducah, KY for the quilt show? >

Has anyone been to Paducah, KY for the quilt show?

Has anyone been to Paducah, KY for the quilt show?

Old 01-08-2011, 08:03 AM

WOW I have an Ex SIL that lives in Paducah, I bet I could have stayed with her. I've never been to the quilt show, I didn't know they had vendors. I guess it will be on my TO DO list for next year. Thank You
Old 01-08-2011, 08:14 AM

It's a wonderful experience and I highly recommend it. My friends and I went for many years, about 18 of the first 20. It got harder and harder to find rooms, we got 18-20 years older and finally got burned out. So we haven't been for awhile. I really believe that every quilter should experience it at least once if at all possible. However, once will only whet your appetite. The quilts are beautiful, the people so warm and welcoming.
Old 01-08-2011, 08:16 AM

Now I'm embarassed. I live less than 30 minutes from there and have never been...yes it's true however sad it may be. It's one of the times "locals" stay out of Paducah.

One of the largest hotels that was within walking distance of the show has been torn down but they have built many nice ones out by the interstate. The city does good with all the shuttles and activities.

There's a fabric shop in Benton (about 30 minutes from Paducah) called Odds & Ends that has some material by the pound. She's a great lady that also goes to several shows and I'm sure she'll be there.

Be sure to wear really good walking shoes and have a tote to carry your treasures. Some of the downtown restaurants are very pricey so check out the menus if possible first...you get better $ values at the chains out by the mall.

Besides Hancocks (which is pretty expensive to me) there is a Michaels and Hobby Lobby which have nice selections of good fabric and everything else to go with it. Be sure to check our all the LQS downtown Paducah also.

Hope you enjoy if you get to go.
Old 01-08-2011, 08:19 AM

What is the date for this show, please????
Old 01-08-2011, 08:27 AM

I went 2 years ago with a group of friends and my 22 year old daughter. To say the least - it was amazing! The quilts were so beautiful and the photos that I've seen of the same quilts that were on display don't compare AT ALL to seeing them in person. If you get the chance be sure to go.
Old 01-08-2011, 08:33 AM

Oh sweetie, if you can go you will not regret it. I've been and believe me you will not regret it.
Old 01-08-2011, 08:33 AM

It is well worth the trip and you will want to stay at least 2 full days to see everything--the show, museum, shops, etc. The first time I went, we stayed at a Knights Inn on the south side of town. There are available hotels/motels away from the downtown area and Paducah isn't that big so it's only a matter of 10-20 minutes or so to drive downtown. Even Metropolis, IL isn't that much of a drive. Friends of mine stayed in Charleston, Missouri which is an hour away but it is such a pretty drive in the spring time that they enjoyed it.
Old 01-08-2011, 08:38 AM

I went in 1993 and loved every minute of it. I saw a catherdial window quilt and told my boyfriends mother that I wanted to make one of those. She just laughed and said noway...its too hard. Well I made one and it is the love of my quilt collection!
And it wasnt that hard and I was just a beginner! GO...see all the patterns and designs and you will fall in love all over again with quilting!
Old 01-08-2011, 09:04 AM

(note to admin--why can't you just delete your own post--like when you accidentally hit the wrong button!?)
Old 01-08-2011, 09:04 AM

(whoops--double post :oops: )