Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Worst way you've seen your good sewing scissors mistreated? >

Worst way you've seen your good sewing scissors mistreated?

Worst way you've seen your good sewing scissors mistreated?

Old 06-01-2011, 01:12 PM

I have found my kiddos using my rotary cutters to cut paper!! For no reason other than to make tiny pieces of paper... lol. Ugh. I think I have now scared them and they leave everything in my sewing area alone. (or at least dont leave proof that they used them...) :)
Old 06-01-2011, 01:28 PM

DH and I went fishing, he brought his tackle box, I brought my hand sewing project. DH managed to get a fish hook clear through the webbing between his thumb and pointer finger. His tackle box was missing his needle nose pliers. The only thing we had to try to cut the fish hook were my very expensive appliqué scissors. I don't know who was more upset, him with the pain in his hand or me with the pain of watching my fabulous scissors attempt to cut a fish hook :-(
Old 06-01-2011, 01:32 PM

A pair of mine were used to cut Balsa wood. When asked what he thought he was doing, (my brother-in-law) he said, it says you can cut it like paper!

At that point I just threw up my hands and walked out. My sister made him buy me a replacement pair that was even better then the pair he ruined!
Old 06-01-2011, 01:33 PM

I wrote on the handles on my scissors "fabric only" and tied a strip of muslin to the handles with 'fabric only' written on that too. I write 'paper' on those kind of scissors. So far it has worked. . . . .
Old 06-01-2011, 01:33 PM

Originally Posted by Rebecca VLQ
CALLOUSES??? Really????
Yeah, really. I can't make stuff like that up.

This was when I was starting to get interested in quilting in 2006, but hadn't made anything yet. I was staying with my then boyfriend, who lived with his step-dad, for a few weeks to get away from the house.

One day I was on the couch reading quilting books and I think some of my sewing supplies...can't remember why I had the scissors with me in the first place. But anyways, I went to go do something and left the scissors on the side table. When I came back there was Nick's step-dad sitting on the couch using my sewing scissors on HIS FEET! Granted they weren't a $25 pair of scissors (I think they were a pair of Fiskars which run about $7), but they weren't meant for that particular purpose either. I remember pulling Nick aside and telling him just how mad I was by explaining the many things that were WRONG with that picture. I ended up throwing them away because I was so disgusted by the fact they had been used on his step-dad's smelly calloused feet. Gross.
Old 06-01-2011, 01:35 PM

Yes my husband did this as well cutting tops off of Icee popsicles. Whoa and behold they all learned very quickly. It's funny because when I sew its at the kitchen table and they will be working on school stuff and need a pair of scissors and they look right at me. Like can I use those scissors? My look tells them to back off and find the other thousand around to use for paper.LOL It is funny when looking back.
Old 06-01-2011, 02:08 PM

My 3yr old grandson used my good shears to cut through the cable of the Hoover whilst his mum was hoovering stairs!!!! She thought the power had gone,then heard the bang!!!! Found him sitting on settee looking very sheepish!! Big sister then showed her the cut cable beautifully sliced!!! Flash marks on shears!! Was he a lucky boy! Surprisingly he has reached the age of eight!!!! Cost him several weeks pocket money to replace them!!
Old 06-01-2011, 02:36 PM

We were renting a house. The owner came in to put in new flooring. WhenI got home, found out he had used them to cut the flooring.

My family KNOWS never to use them.
Old 06-01-2011, 03:04 PM

This sign that hangs in my sewing room says it all.....
Attached Thumbnails attachment-205279.jpe  
Old 06-01-2011, 03:16 PM

Originally Posted by jaciqltznok
Originally Posted by okiepastor
My hubby stripped WIRE and cut it with mine--he was pretty shocked to discover the new scissors cost $25!!!!
$25....I have them upwards of $300!
Well, did not want him to go into a TOTAL state of shock, so I got some Gingher's on sale!!