Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Are Quilters a Dying Breed? >
  • Are Quilters a Dying Breed?

• Are Quilters a Dying Breed?

Old 07-15-2011, 06:34 AM

I hope not to die ... because I just discovered this world!
    I have 46 and a disease for 4 stopped working and began to occupy my time with crafts first and threw it 2 me with patchwork and I'm fascinated!
    I think the biggest problem is the cost of materials (especially for places like my country where things work out 4 times its original price and what we should bring "outside"), that schools no longer teach arts various manuals and finally, that mothers should go to work for what we do not have time to share these activities with their children.
    I think when the boys discover their "ability to achieve" is when you most enjoy and away from "other things"!
    It is my humble opinion!
    Old 07-15-2011, 06:41 AM

No, I don't think it will die. I am 66 and want to try out any new technology (Just bought an Xbox360 with Kinect and a Kindle) but the quilting is always there.
    Old 07-15-2011, 06:57 AM

I know what you mean about today's "techy" youth. However, I do think that young people (girls and boys) who are exposed to sewing at an early age will be sewers as adults. We have 3 granddaughters, ages 7, 9 and 15 who love to sew on the machines. I have to tell you that I was pleasantly pleased when I saw this. They are totally fascinated with their ability to "make" something themselves. I know that moms today are also exceptionally busy and don't have the time we grandma's or aunts have to spend the time with the children but I do believe that with the early beginning and the love of the "machine" process that as adults they will carry on the art of quilting. I truly love to see what great quilts the men on our site are making and quilting. It is truly an inspiration to me.
    Old 07-15-2011, 06:58 AM

They've taken sewing out of school so unless we all teach the younger ones, it probably will be a dying thing of the past.
    Old 07-15-2011, 07:05 AM

Interests have peaks and valleys. I started quilting back in the late 1960s then had to concentrate on my business while my children were growing up. By the time I came back to it an industry had grown. When schools dropped the Home Ec departments sewing became less popular with the younger generation. Although I haven't watched it (I HATE reality shows), Project Runway seems to have revived interest in sewing. Having watched me start and sell 2 business in the sewing industry, my daughter never had any interest at all in a needle and thread. At 40, she is showing an interest in specific projects, not just learning to sew for the love of the art. Media and the internet has also helped boost quilting to an exaulted level across the continents. I think it's here to stay :-)
    Old 07-15-2011, 07:24 AM

It's up to the parents to have their children put away to electronics. Once we learn to have real conversations with our children and interact with their lives, things will be closer to 'normal'. I have a Mother/Daughter (10-years-old) team in my beginning quilting classes. Good to see them working together!
    Old 07-15-2011, 07:25 AM

Oops. Should have been 'put away the electronics'.
    Old 07-15-2011, 07:36 AM

I've been seeing more young people buying fabrics Wandering the aisles looking for just the right color etc.for quilts.This last prom season A mother was choosing fab for her DDs prom dress and the DD was off choosing fabs for a quilt she was going to make for her dad's B/day My fav WalMart store has a 19 yr old boy that makes all the displays and his own quilts and he's teaching sewing skills at the Boys and Girls Club. The Home Ec classes in the schools are full with both boys and girls. So I do believe there will always be Quilters and Sewers -No matter what the Age or Gender may be.
    Old 07-15-2011, 07:41 AM

Originally Posted by auntpiggylpn
    I was just looking at a picture here on the board about someone's 5 or 6 year old niece wanting to sew. I'm wondering if quilting will go by the wayside with today's youth? They all seem so preoccupied with all the electronic gadgets: Ipones, Ipads, Ipods, tablets, laptops, Hi-def TV, video games. I know that I got my interest in sewing and quilting by watching my mother and my great aunt but I have never had any friends that sewed or quilted. It seems to be the trend for young people today to do everything as fast as you can and if some gadget will do it for you, that's even better!

I do think you have valid points- the military is seeing a difference in youth these days when they enter the service. Give these youth a video game like controller, they know what to do with it. Same with anything computer related. But some of them are missing basic physical coordination, and gross motor or balancing skills.

The computerized quilting aspect- that I think today's kids will get immediately. A sewing machine that has a million features or the computer-aided Long Arms won't be a problem. Hand sewing- that they won't. The time commitment of making a quilt...not sure on that one. I agree most of what they are doing electronically is all about instant rewards, and quilting is not instant.

I think it's more an aspect of the kids appreciating ARTS in general. I think those exposed to color theory and pottery and creating things with their hands will get quilting. They will get the point of creating things with fabric. But a lot of today's education for kids is focused on testing and test scores, and as a result art programs are disappearing from schools- those kids won't get quilting.

Will it die? I don't think so. I didn't start quilting until college when I had kids of my own. None of my family quilted or sewed when I was young. Walmart was available, yes, and all sorts of cheap stuff, but I saw the value of creating something myself for my kids. Quilting went hand in hand with sewing dresses or baby doll clothes for my girls, repairing pants of my boys, and then out of that grew a quilt. It was about what I could do for my family. And, I think that will be true for today's youth too- once they grow up, their priorities will change.
    Old 07-15-2011, 07:48 AM

I learned to quilt from PBS TV and books. My grandmother pieced but tied her quilts and she died when I was 18 so never got to "talk" quilting with any family except one Aunt. I hope to get some nieces to quilt and my GD when she is older. :P