Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
I have to backtrack and also apologize :? >

I have to backtrack and also apologize :?

I have to backtrack and also apologize :?

Old 08-25-2011, 06:26 AM

Try Cinnamon ( I know one has to give up some things !LOL so you make less cinnamon sugar!LOL)
I tried it and low and behohld !! the ants didn't cross it and in the crack of cement, I also put some:GONE were the ants. So I tried it around the roses:GONE were the ants. hmmm I am thinking .. so We put ooodles of cinnamon around the place, I am told ants won't cross a barrier if its put between them and their home.
Also Cayenne Pepper works for the stray cats that love to poo in our yard!! lol DON'T get me wrong, I love cats and have had cats, but my cats didn't go into the neighbor's yards and poo. They even had a litter box outside to poo in !LOL I just shook it around where they were doing their business, no more picking up their poo!! Cats don't like HOT anything.
OH yeah,just so you know I am a skeptic at home remedies even tho they worked for others. I have to try them to prove they work or don't work !LOL
Old 08-25-2011, 07:43 AM

I had ant troubles for years when we were in the mobile home. I swear they had condos in the wall behind my kitchen sink. One year I got so fed up - I tried everything... all the OTC stuff, all the home remedy, all the wives' tales.

They went away and didn't come back, but I tried so many things at once, I don't know which one worked!!
Old 08-25-2011, 07:47 AM

We had ants for years no matter what we tried - an exterminator, poisons, etc and all other suggestions. We moved! It was not why we moved but it sure has been a benefit of the move.
Old 08-25-2011, 07:50 AM

Ants breathe through their thorax, so anything that is dusty, such as chalk, talc sprinkled around as a barrier, they won't cross because the dust suffocates them. They also don't like cayenne pepper, won't cross a line of that either. If you don't like insects and bugs, plant marigolds around your house, natural bug repellent.
Old 08-25-2011, 07:54 AM

If you don't have small children or pets you can use Boric Acid, I had a ant problem the beginning of the summer and put some boric acid in a tiny bowl of foil and they were gone in 24 hrs or so.
Old 08-25-2011, 07:55 AM

Lesson learned---NEVER SAY NEVER!!!! :lol:
Old 08-25-2011, 08:16 AM

We had little black ants come into the kitchen the spring after we bought our house and the local farm supply store recommended a product called Terro. Its a syrup like liquid that you put on small squares of thin cardboard and place where they enter. They swarm over it sucking up the poison and take it back to the nest. Really worked for us. Have had one attack of ants in 11 years since and used the same treatment. Gone in a few days.
Old 08-25-2011, 09:21 AM

Oh how I wish I could look forward to winter freezing to get rid of our ants but such is life here, where they are 24/7, 365 days a year. I use Dr. Bonner's Peppermint Soap. I mix about 1 part to 10 parts water in a spray bottle and have at those nasty ants that appear all over our house (kitchen, bathroom, living room, bedroom, inside/outside. Tried the Terro stuff and they only called more and more and more ants without any relief for many months. Finally gave up on that idea. You name it...we've got those ants; black, tiny brown, carpenter, flying black ones, etc. So I do the best I can and when I see a trail of them, out comes the spray bottle (one located in each room) and spray (which kills them) and makes their trail go cold for an hour or two.
Old 08-25-2011, 09:32 AM

The last house we lived in had so many ants they keep the walls up. A friend told me about *Revenge* it works so good. they were gone in 3 days, all of them. Just put a drop where you see them, they take it home and kill all of them.
Old 08-25-2011, 09:33 AM

Ugh, ants are hard to control. Hopefully the weather will cooperate and they will go away soon!