Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
  • Traditional Easter Dinner or something else? >
  • Traditional Easter Dinner or something else?

• Traditional Easter Dinner or something else?

Old 04-06-2012, 05:09 AM

My daughter and I just agreed that it's hamburgers/hot dogs on their beautiful patio. They have a kitchen out there complete with stove top, grill, sink, fridge ceiling fan. The weather is supposed to be cool enough to enjoy and the mosquitoes are not in full force yet. Grandkids (2) will be hunting eggs so it's a win-win for all of us.
    Old 04-06-2012, 07:57 AM

Mine is pretty traditional. Ham, carrots (in honor of the bunny) potatoes, bunny shaped bread, etc.
    My MIL used to make a 3D bunny cake that was always the subject of many family jokes, then and now.
    So in her honor I make a 3D bunny cake that is also the subject of family jokes - Guess making a bunny cake isn't as easy as it looked! Happy Easter everyone!
    Old 04-06-2012, 08:05 AM

[QUOTE=Sunnye;5116546]Well, this year a friend and I will be in Asheville!

I assume Asheville, NC. Welcome to the mountains! They are beautiful this time of year, and the rain should stop after today (according to the forecast). Pictures of the flowers of Biltmore Estate have been in the paper recently, so that might be a stop for you - to see the tulips, azaleas, etc. that are on the grounds of the estate. Have fun!
    Old 04-06-2012, 09:34 AM

Originally Posted by May in Jersey
    sandybeach asked "Do you make Paula Deen's Pineapple Casserole? I just love it. The first time I made it my son turned up his nose when he heard the ingredients, but I talked him into trying it. He ate half the pan. "

Not sure whose recipe it is, found it in cookbook with recipes from co workers. Don't have recipe handy right now but main ingredinets are a large can of crushed pineapple with juice, several eggs and about 5 slices of bread. Goes nicely with ham and could also be eaten as a dessert. May in Jersey
    Try this one, you will love it:

[h=1]Pineapple Casserole[/h]Recipe courtesy Paula Deen
    <DL class=times><DT>Prep Time: </DT><DD class=prep-time>10 min </DD><DT>Inactive Prep Time: </DT><DD class=wait-time>-- </DD><DT>Cook Time: </DT><DD class=cook-time>25 min </DD></DL><DL class=level><DT>Level: <DD class=difficulty>Easy </DD></DL><DL class=serves><DT>Serves: <DD class=yield>8 servings </DD></DL>

[h=2]Ingredients[/h]
    • 1 cup sugar
    • 6 tablespoons all-purpose flour
    • 2 cups grated sharp cheddar
    • 2 (20-ounce) cans pineapple chunks, drained, and 6 tablespoons pineapple juice reserved
    • 1 cup cracker crumbs (recommended: Ritz)
    • 8 tablespoons (1 stick) butter, melted, plus extra for greasing pan
    [h=2]Directions[/h]Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
    Grease a medium-size casserole dish with butter.
    In a large bowl, stir together the sugar and flour. Gradually stir in the cheese. Add the drained pineapple chunks, and stir until ingredients are well combined. Pour the mixture into the prepared casserole dish.
    In another medium bowl, combine the cracker crumbs, melted butter, and reserved pineapple juice, stirring with a rubber spatula until evenly blended. Spread crumb mixture on top of pineapple mixture. Bake for 25 to 30 minutes, or until golden brown.

Old 04-06-2012, 11:14 AM

Location: Piedmont Virginia in the Foothills of the Blue Ridge Mtns.

I guess I am the only one having roast lamb -- a nod to the sacrificial lamb, reason for the season -- with my mother who will be preparing some traditional Passover foods, as she celebrates Easter as a Messianic Jew.

We do Turkey at Thanksgiving, ham and beef tenderloin for Christmas, lamb for Easter, ribs on July 4th.

Along that line, how did ham become "traditional" for Easter?

Jan in VA
    Old 04-06-2012, 01:10 PM

I am cooking this year. We will have about 30 people. We are having ham, roasted asparagus, broccoli casserole, rolls augraitin potatoes, sweet potatoes, deviled eggs, jello salad, tossed salad, and I'm not sure what else, still thinking about it. MYsister and niece are in charge of appetizers and my SIL is in charge of dessert. We don't have any set rules for Easter dinner. A few years ago I grilled steaks. Not this year, the weather is good, beef is too expensive.
    Old 04-06-2012, 03:14 PM

No ham dinner this year....hubby requested spaghetti/meatballs, everyone loved the idea....shrimp salad, garlic bread, green beans....desserts....
    Old 04-06-2012, 05:52 PM

This year I am keeping it simple as I am doing all the cooking and really want to also make it to church Sunday morning. Tomorrow evening we are taking my parents out to dinner and to visit. For Sunday dinner with my FIL and DH's brother's family (who are currently on their way home from spring break and won't get in until tomorrow night) I am baking a ham, doing a bunch of baked potatoes in the crock pot, doing a tossed salad and deviled eggs, and baking a cake and a couple pies.
    Old 04-06-2012, 07:06 PM

For our Easter dinner I bought a stuffed - boneless leg of lamb from this boutique grocery store by me. It is stuffed with cheese and spinach. Looks good. For sides I am making Basalmic glazed asparagras, roasted baby potatoes and a spinach salad. Dessert is going to be Italian Canolis. I'm also going to make Chicken Motzah Ball soup just because we like it.
    Old 04-06-2012, 07:37 PM

Originally Posted by Hemlock Tea
    Chocolate.
    I would like to have dinner at your house !