multi-cultural

Old 06-23-2009, 05:29 AM
k3n
Power Poster

WOW beachlady - now that looks like my kind of heaven! Beautiful! Shame you sold already, I could have bought your place!
Old 06-23-2009, 06:52 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by k3n
WOW beachlady - now that looks like my kind of heaven! Beautiful! Shame you sold already, I could have bought your place!
Beachlady, what on earth made you move from there? It's fantastic!
Old 06-23-2009, 02:40 PM

You left there beachlady?!?!? lol

What a fantastic beach!
Old 06-23-2009, 03:19 PM

I feel sew grown up when I am on this site. I get to meet people all over the world! I wanted to say Cosmopolitan, but didn't want to give the wrong impression. I haven't seen the magazine since Burt Reynold's posed for it!
I am still giggling about "Free Willy".
I remember that someone used the word "slash" in England and found out it meant something not nice there. The men never would tell me, too mannerly!

Thanks for posting picture of your area. I willhave to get a photo of the Arch here in St. Louis and post it when I am not on dialup! :?
Old 06-23-2009, 03:40 PM

Haven't moved yet - in a little over a month we will say goodbye to the beach. BooHoo. Mainly moving because it is too expensive to live here - I was taxed out! Moving to a lake where taxes are half of here. So will still be near water. I am retired and money is too tight to live here anymore! I have shed many a tear!
Old 06-23-2009, 03:42 PM

Originally Posted by Pats8e8
What are the little bubbles?
I was wondering the same thing... are those glass domes over flowers?
Old 06-23-2009, 05:16 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by k3n
Well as most of you know, I'm English but live in France with a Dutchman - oh when cultures collide! What fun! DH and I have had many amusing and annoying moments. For eg, the Dutch are quite direct and at first I used to get mad if he'd ask 'why are you chopping carrots like that?' I felt it as a criticism - but that's just the way they ask things. Not a good example maybe but I don't know how else to explain it! And of course between England and America there are some classic howlers like for example a 'fag' to me is a cigarette but to you, I think it's something else! And the front of a car is bonnet and the back, boot - I think you say hood and trunk. And the grocery carts - we call trolleys! I once said to QNC 'cheers big ears' which is just English slang for thanks and she said 'what's with my ears?' LOL And Blue calls everyone 'dude' male and female - I love that! In Ireland, a group of people can be 'lads' ( even girls! I call everyone 'mate' even the dog and cat (!) which is very 'Hampshire' where I was brought up. Vive la difference, I say!
:mrgreen: :lol:
Old 06-23-2009, 05:22 PM
Power Poster

k3n wrote:
Here in France, I've heard French people say English people are rude, because they don't shake hands or kiss everytime they meet but that's just not NORMAL for us! We just go 'hiya' and that's enough. But the French are much more formal. If I pass the neighour's house and they're in the garden, it's not enough to say 'good morning' and walk on - I have to go in and give them a kiss on each cheek and the kids too. The kids got used very early on to everyone kissing them all the time - even strange old ladies in the supermarket! In the UK, I'd have probably told them to back off but here it's just normal! :D [/quote]

wow, and I thought I was a hugger,...just sometimes, but every time you greet someone? Do they have a lot of flu etc. over there?
If I know my grandbabies might be getting a cold, I kiss them on top of the head!
It's funny, bc I have heard you describe other 'ways' of the French, and I had the impression that they were,...I guess the way you describe the Dutch...mean what they say, and say what they mean. stoic, proud, stubborn...doesn't sound like Hans, though.
To tell you the truth, if I had to do all that, ALL the time...i'd get tired! :D
Old 06-23-2009, 05:24 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by k3n
Originally Posted by BlueChicken
Originally Posted by bearisgray
what we call grocery "carts" in Minnesota are called "buggies" in Florida
We call them trolleys here! :-)
Blue, the way you 'talk' always seems more similar to me than the American ppl on here - you use a lot of the same slang expressions as I'm used to. If you weren't upside down, you could almost BE English! :D But I bet you've got a cute accent! D Do you say 'sheila' and 'cobber' and all that like the Aussies or have you got your own words?
ewww, I'm tellin...you compared Blue to an Aussie...I did that one day, LOL...and you :wink: let me know, that it was an insult...kind of like calling an English a 'scot'
...yeah, Blue,...bet you got a cute accent...let's see it...lol! :lol:
Old 06-23-2009, 05:27 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by k3n
PPS - my mind is apparently in the same groove!
hey, randy, willy and blue...all mean the same to me, as you said, they do to you.
now, fanny is just cute over here. like tush.
I want to hear more. I love the way you guys talk.