Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • What size scraps do you save? >
  • What size scraps do you save?

• What size scraps do you save?

Old 05-12-2013, 05:40 PM

It has to be pretty small for me to give it up!! Usually, if I can get 2 quarter-inch seams and a quarter inch will show, I toss it in my scrap box. Anything big enough that it can be cut into a usable piece gets cut up and put in drawers by sizes. It literally hurts me to throw a piece of fabric away!
    Old 05-12-2013, 06:00 PM

I'm SOOOOO bad. If it's less than a 6" piece, I use it as kindling in my wood stove (100% cotton only). Fabric works better than twigs I found and leaves no ash. I was told this trick by a fellow quilter. I know, I know....what a waste of good fabric. I don't have the room to store all the snips and strings (even under my beds are full of fabric!) so I have to compromise somewhere. (BTW - the chimney sweep has says that burning cotton fabric will not hurt the wood stove nor the chimney - just make sure it is 100% cotton. Polyesters can melt while cotton burns).

Anita
    Old 05-12-2013, 06:21 PM

Originally Posted by bluteddi
    rarely does ANY fabric get tossed into the trash here.. scraps get cut into strips and squares,,,, then into the " scrap bin" snipets and trimmings go into anoth bin for pillows, toys stuffings etc..... but then I've been called miserly before.... :-)
    We must be sisters. I have a hard time throwing any scrap away, although my husband has been urging me to throw away my tub of crumbs and start afresh.* I am making an effort not to add to that particular tub of scraps. If I can get a 2 1/2 inch square, that gets cut and put in a box for scrappy 4 patch or 9 patch. strips an inch (or nearly so) wide are saved for my next string qulit.

String quilts were my mother's favorite. She used worn out sheets for the base, but I usually use old dryer sheets. Has anyone noticed how those dryer sheets have shrunk? I can only get 5 in. squares without piecing them.
    Old 05-12-2013, 06:21 PM

Anything 3/4" wide, or larger I keep. All my thread snipets and smaller pieces first go in a plastic container and when that's full, I dump it in a big Ziploc bag. I've been participating in Superior University and they said at the beginning to save all your scraps and threads for a project later. So I have been saving. I'm thinking it'll be a make your own fabric with wash away interfacing.
    Old 05-12-2013, 07:49 PM

Who says you have to make 1/4 inch seams? 3/16 and 1/8 inch seams work too. The smaller the pieces are, the smaller I make the seams. That way, I can use a 1/2 inch strip and make two 1/8 in. seams. You do have to have good fabric to do this though, but it's only the really good fabric that I can't bear to throw away.
    Old 05-13-2013, 03:14 AM
    Banned

I save everything even the litle strips from straightning up fabric and then give them to groups who do weaving and other craft projects. I have groups that work with children in art classes. I sort in bags. A teacher friend has a class in rug weaving. She welcomes the narrow strips. I use larger strips for string quilts for Charity. Nothing is tossed.
    Old 05-13-2013, 06:16 AM

Originally Posted by Betty Ruth

String quilts were my mother's favorite. She used worn out sheets for the base, but I usually use old dryer sheets. Has anyone noticed how those dryer sheets have shrunk? I can only get 5 in. squares without piecing them.
    I thought it was just me, dryer sheets have shrunk. I save every little scrap also. One of my goals is to use up my three totes of crumbs to make a "crumby" quilt. But that is after I finish the three quilt projects up on the design board.
    Old 05-13-2013, 02:19 PM

Originally Posted by bluteddi
    rarely does ANY fabric get tossed into the trash here.. scraps get cut into strips and squares,,,, then into the " scrap bin" snipets and trimmings go into anoth bin for pillows, toys stuffings etc..... but then I've been called miserly before.... :-)
    I am your clone, that is exactly what I do and I don't call it miserly but being sensible. As one well known quilters said the scraps and snippets of fabric cost exactly the same as a yard!
    Old 05-15-2013, 04:33 AM

Originally Posted by Holice
    I save everything even the litle strips from straightning up fabric and then give them to groups who do weaving and other craft projects. I have groups that work with children in art classes. I sort in bags. A teacher friend has a class in rug weaving. She welcomes the narrow strips. I use larger strips for string quilts for Charity. Nothing is tossed.
    Thanks for the advice on what to do with the small pieces that are too small to be used in a quilt.. If I sew the tiny strips, and pieces end to end, I can make a ball, and crochet, or weave them into something else. Right now I am cutting up 2.5" squares, and getting frustrated with all the wasted fabric. I can use the 1.5" or more for swaps, and postage stamp quilts, but feel like I am wasting the scraps after that. This idea might work very well for my head..
    Old 05-17-2013, 03:32 PM

I also try to follow Bonnie Hunter's Scrap User System. Here is a link to the information on her website:

http://quiltville.com/scrapusersystem.shtml