Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
General cost of sewing machine tune-up? >

General cost of sewing machine tune-up?

General cost of sewing machine tune-up?

Old 07-02-2009, 03:06 PM

I just had mine done--cost $89.00 here in Northern California.
Old 07-02-2009, 03:29 PM

It will probably make a difference where you live. I live in north Kansas and have my Berninas and a feather weight cleaned at different times and if nothing is wrong with them it was $59.00. My 630 Bernina was still under warrenty? so it wasn't that much. Jan
Old 07-02-2009, 03:31 PM

Originally Posted by 2wheelwoman
I have an Elna Heritage that has never seen the inside of a repair shop (my bad) :oops: I try to keep it clean on my own, etc., but know I should take it in for a thorough cleaning. Can anyone tell me if I'm looking at $50 or $500 bucks?
I've had my Viking for 4 yrs., and it's never been cleaned.

Just wondering when the dealer advises it to be cleaned, what's in the process? It's all computerized, and sealed. So, as long as I blow out the lint with an air compressor once in awhile what else could a dealer do.

Guess, I'm being a devil's advocate, but my thinking is, why fix something that isn't broke! :twisted:
Old 07-02-2009, 03:44 PM

The dealer can take the machine apart and remove all the lint that you blow back into the machine motor. A friend of mine had a motor burn out because she used the canned air, and it just kept packing the lint back further in her machine until it got so hot that it burn out! There are some parts that need oiling that we can not reach and they can see things that might be going to give you problems. I am a firm believer in yearly check ups for my dear machines. I want them to stay in good health, purring along and stitching well. Jan
Old 07-02-2009, 03:51 PM

Originally Posted by Quiltntime
Guess, I'm being a devil's advocate, but my thinking is, why fix something that isn't broke!
And why unquestioningly follow the advice of the one person who is going to reap an immediate financial benefit when you do what he tells you to do?
Old 07-02-2009, 03:52 PM

Originally Posted by 2wheelwoman
I have an Elna Heritage that has never seen the inside of a repair shop (my bad) :oops: I try to keep it clean on my own, etc., but know I should take it in for a thorough cleaning. Can anyone tell me if I'm looking at $50 or $500 bucks?
I've had my Viking for 4 yrs., and it's never been cleaned.

Just wondering when the dealer advises it to be cleaned, what's in the process? It's all computerized, and sealed. So, as long as I blow out the lint with an air compressor once in awhile what else could a dealer do.

Guess, I'm being a devil's advocate, but my thinking is, why fix something that isn't broke! :twisted:
I have to agree with you there. My Mom's 1952 Singer has never been to a shop. My mother and with my Dad's assistance even replaced the belt when it broke. She always cleaned and oiled it herself. She sewed on it daily. It is still to this day being used by me. I just cleaned and oiled it a couple of months ago.

Canned air I would not use on either of my machines. These dealers are making a killing on these new machines suggesting they get yearly cleanings. Most of the new ones are encased and never have to be oiled......mine is and we bought it in 1978. Just delinting it should be good unless it jumps timing....in which case you would maybe have to take it in then.

I don't know.......each to his or her own.......

Each to his own I guess
Old 07-02-2009, 03:55 PM

Originally Posted by stormatsea45
The dealer can take the machine apart and remove all the lint that you blow back into the machine motor. A friend of mine had a motor burn out because she used the canned air, and it just kept packing the lint back further in her machine until it got so hot that it burn out! There are some parts that need oiling that we can not reach and they can see things that might be going to give you problems. I am a firm believer in yearly check ups for my dear machines. I want them to stay in good health, purring along and stitching well. Jan
Well, cleaning annually makes sense, if your machine is an older model. My Viking never needs oiling, and I was told by the dealer the computer and motor are sealed off from the rest of the machine. That's what led me to believe I could self cleaning it.

I certainly would take it in if it were to skip stitches, etc. I just can't be without my machine for more than a day. A week would be unheard of.
Old 07-02-2009, 04:38 PM

It should be somewhere around $50-75. Any repairs would be extra. You really should get it cleaned. Stuff gets in the inside that we just can't reach.
Old 07-02-2009, 04:53 PM

One of my reasons for taking it in is because it does have a small problem - the locking stitch doesn't work. In addition, I bought it off of eBay, so don't know what kind of care it has had. I do appreciate the "devil's advocate" comments - it's always good to view things from both sides. I'd rather be safe than sorry though, 'cause I couldn't afford a new machine if I burned out this one. :cry: I do all the maintenance on my Featherweights myself - but when the Elna is encased, I really can't tell where the lint goes or what else might be wrong with it's innards. I really appreciate all the responses. You guys are awesome. Now I'm going to check with my Guild buddies to see who they recommend taking it to...and am somewhat braced for the cost.
Old 07-02-2009, 05:54 PM

Originally Posted by ghostrider
Guess, I'm being a devil's advocate, but my thinking is, why fix something that isn't broke!
And why unquestioningly follow the advice of the one person who is going to reap an immediate financial benefit when you do what he tells you to do?
Sorry, but I have to disagree with this idea. Both my AZ and CT dealers are NOT in the business of making money from the servicing of my machines. They want my repeat business when I buy another machine or upgrade the one I have. Therefore, I continue to trust them to keep my machines in good condition. They're expensive, and like automobiles, they need occasional servicing by experts. I'm not an expert. I can clean out the visible lint, but I know some of it gets into the places I CAN'T see. An those cans of air don't do that job.