Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • suggestions? >
  • suggestions?

• suggestions?

Old 09-01-2014, 07:32 PM

Pipe cleaners to keep bobbins with thread spool.
    Old 09-01-2014, 11:09 PM

I have a wide cardboard tube I roll fabric round to take to class to prevent creasing

Kitchen foil,this makes great parcels for your blocks and stops creasing again.

Bull dog clips for holding blocks together. Clipping background to table edges. And other ways.

Has anyone mentioned camera or mobile phone for taking pictures of quilts to see result or to remember how it went together. Also change to black and white to see colour tones.

I also use flight size case to fit machine in to take to classes they have wheel s and make transporting so much easier. It is even easier if you buy a dog pram they fold and have 4 larger wheels.

Diary to write down info about projects on page done. It is in one place and not bits of paper everywhere.
    Old 09-02-2014, 02:32 AM
    Power Poster

Not a re-purpose but I love my IKEA LED lamp - I can bend it and see things when I sew on the machine or turn it and hand sew or pick stitches out.
    Old 09-02-2014, 03:25 AM

Used dryer fabric softener sheets for labels and for turned applique..They are light and easy to
    sew and turn.
    Old 09-02-2014, 06:26 AM

I bought a soft-sided tool box on wheels from Harbor Freight for taking my sewing machine to classes for less than half the price of one actually made for sewing machines. I DO have a sewing machine case on wheels, but my rolling tool box is sturdier and roomier. I also get a pair of chopsticks any time I go to a Chinese restaurant. These work great for turning corners when you have to turn something right-side out. The handle of a wooden spoon also works for this, but I like the chopsticks better because they are slimmer and get into the corners better. Also, the blades for rotary carpet cutters fit into our rotary cutters and are MUCH cheaper!

Donna
    Old 09-02-2014, 06:57 AM

colored sticky dots and flags to mark my rulers , showing the correct measurement line also for marking row and column sequence when sewing finished blocks in order
    Old 09-02-2014, 07:23 AM

Use the tubes you buy candy in (M&M's) for bobbins. You can fit several of them, which is handy if you're going to class or retreat.
    Old 09-02-2014, 09:19 AM
    Suz

Depending on the size of the ruler, I just dab several spots of clear nail polish on the back of the ruler, i.e., on a 24" x 6" ruler, I probably have 8 dabs of polish, 6" square, 4 dabs. Then I just sprinkle w/salt. Wait a few minutes for the salt to adhere and then dump the remainder in the trash. -- I must of done this 6 months ago and the salt is still holding. Will repeat at the same spots when needed.
    Old 09-02-2014, 09:23 AM
    Suz

When Karen Buckley had to send her heavily beaded quilt to one of the big quilt shows, it was suggested she roll it around one of those swimmer's noodles and then tie. She didn't feel folding it would work w/o catching the beads to each other. Don't know if she did so, but thought it was a good idea. A noodle could be cut to size for any project to make it portable.
    Old 09-02-2014, 10:56 AM

definitely elmers school glue