Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Blocks of the Month and Week
New Quilting Bee, August 2017 >

New Quilting Bee, August 2017

New Quilting Bee, August 2017

Old 08-04-2017, 06:26 AM

Anne, I'm the same way, use what I have. I've used out of my stash for the Bee, and am doing two block of the week projects, and have used out of my stash too. So far, so good..lol I may have to fudge on some of the blocks, kinda running low on a couple pieces....maybe the blocks will end before I do.. I hope hope hope...lol

Oh gosh, TSC - not's that good. Do you have a place you get your Featherweight products? There's a site on Facebook called April's Featherweight - if you do a search on FB, you'll find it. I am using my Featherweight to make one of the BOW projects, the blocks, and fabrics just 'required' that I use my FW..lolo It's such a fun machine to sew on.
Old 08-04-2017, 07:12 AM

Originally Posted by tscweaves View Post
I like these two blocks too much not to try them. I might give it a go this weekend. I will have to use a different machine because I was messing around on my Featherweight the other day and actually broke the gib hook
What a drag, I didn't think I could break something on that machine.

I also started another quilted wall hanging, it will be another bargello. I was so happy with the one I made for my living room that a couple of jelly rolls came home with me:-) ...and I really need to finish weaving the cloth for my guest room curtains. So many projects and that dratted job just gets in the way! LOL

I just love the blocks that have been posted so far this month, just makes me itchy to sew.
Guess you best scratch that itch TSC, with the best lotion there is, take right care of it, just sew, lol.
Old 08-04-2017, 08:55 AM

Originally Posted by AnngelAnne View Post
Guess you best scratch that itch TSC, with the best lotion there is, take right care of it, just sew, lol.
Oh I am, believe me. It is just deciding which machine to play on now that the Featherweight is temporarily out of commission:-)
Old 08-04-2017, 08:57 AM

Originally Posted by Oksewnsew View Post
Anne, I'm the same way, use what I have. I've used out of my stash for the Bee, and am doing two block of the week projects, and have used out of my stash too. So far, so good..lol I may have to fudge on some of the blocks, kinda running low on a couple pieces....maybe the blocks will end before I do.. I hope hope hope...lol

Oh gosh, TSC - not's that good. Do you have a place you get your Featherweight products? There's a site on Facebook called April's Featherweight - if you do a search on FB, you'll find it. I am using my Featherweight to make one of the BOW projects, the blocks, and fabrics just 'required' that I use my FW..lolo It's such a fun machine to sew on.
I also get parts from Glenn Williams down in Florida. He has all kinds of different parts for 221, 222, and 301's and he is great to deal with. My new gib hook is on its way to me:-)
Old 08-04-2017, 11:03 AM

OK, Just finished the new block, "Plaid." I think my rendition is butt ugly, but it will tie in with the fabrics in my other blocks. Here are my three blocks:
[ATTACH=CONFIG]578002[/ATTACH] [ATTACH=CONFIG]578003[/ATTACH] [ATTACH=CONFIG]578004[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails plaid.jpg   chain-link.jpg   jack-box.jpg  
Old 08-04-2017, 12:18 PM

Rookie question time: I am looking at the Jack in the Box block. Am I understanding right that for the Goose and #1, rectangles are cut and then Sky & #1 are cut in half on the diagonal and sewed to the rectangles and then trimmed? Is it normal to have so much fabric waste? Or am I reading this all wrong? Thanks.
Old 08-04-2017, 12:33 PM

Just Jan, I like your top left block. It has nice earthy colors, that remind me of grass, the ground, the sky and flowers. My colors. Very relaxing for me. The other 2 blocks are very nice too.
Old 08-04-2017, 03:49 PM

Originally Posted by tscweaves View Post
Rookie question time: I am looking at the Jack in the Box block. Am I understanding right that for the Goose and #1, rectangles are cut and then Sky & #1 are cut in half on the diagonal and sewed to the rectangles and then trimmed? Is it normal to have so much fabric waste? Or am I reading this all wrong? Thanks.
I think I know what you are asking... You cut a rectangle and two squares for each section. Take the squares and draw a diagonal line corner to corner on each square. For the flying goose, lay the rectangle on its side and lay one square across each top corner. Sew on the line. Flip the little flap up and outward to the corner and press it well. You should then see the goose. Turn it over and check the back side. If you see any of the square's fabric hanging over, trim it off to the size of the rectangle. Now with it facing you, open up the "ear" and trim off the inside ear and the back of the goose to remover bulk. You will be tossing two little triangles. Some choose to sew these triangles together to make a little half square triangle, but its usually not worth saving! You're not wasting that much to bother with. For the other parts of the block, you make it the same way, just lay the squares on opposite corners to sew them to the rectangles. This is commonly referred to as the "sew and flip method." If you still have questions, PM me and I will make a block and scan the pieces as I go. I will PM you my email address. Janet
Old 08-04-2017, 03:57 PM

Originally Posted by happylab View Post
Just Jan, I like your top left block. It has nice earthy colors, that remind me of grass, the ground, the sky and flowers. My colors. Very relaxing for me. The other 2 blocks are very nice too.
Thanks. Its actually a pretty lavender (not blue), but you make the block sound pretty. You say its relaxing, I was thinking drab! But, it will match some others in my set, and hopefully calm down the brighter blocks. Thanks for saying that, I think I like it a little better now!

Last edited by Just Jan; 08-04-2017 at 04:00 PM.
Old 08-04-2017, 04:46 PM

Jan, Thank you so much for the explanation. You cleared up my questions. You have been so helpful to me, I really appreciate your on-line mentoring:-)