Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
HELP and Encouragement >

HELP and Encouragement

HELP and Encouragement

Old 10-04-2010, 12:01 PM

I can't wait until my quilts are good enough to give to some charity or person in need. There are all kinds of charities that would love to have your quilts. KEEP ON QUILTING!
Old 10-04-2010, 12:35 PM

I am also making a child's quilt with no one to give it to. Yes, I spent some money on it, but to me it is worth it for the opportunity to learn new techniques, and too, just the joy and satisfaction it gives me! I am confident that although I have no-one in mind for the quilt now, in time someone will come into my life for whom it is the perfect quilt!
Old 10-04-2010, 01:05 PM

Sometimes I feel exactly the way you describe. I justify (to myself) my quilting habit by knowing that I need a hobby and I love this one. It keeps me "off the streets and out of the bars". Over many years, I have invested a lot of $$ in equipment & supplies & fabric ... I never have or want more than a medium-sized fabric stash. I don't plan to buy any more fabric or quilting notions for a long time; I have plenty of stuff already and am working on several long-term quilt projects. Last year, my hobby budget was spent on machine embroidery designs (for quilts, mainly) until I now have more than I will ever use; this year, my hobby budget is focussed on machine embroidery thread, enough colors & yards to last me the rest of my life. (I have no plans as yet for my 2011 hobby budget.) None of my children are married or have children of their own. They very much like my quilts &, whenever I kick the bucket, they will have 1st claim on all sewing equipment, supplies, quilts, etc. They understand that what they do not want is to go to the ladies who make quilts for a specific children's home in this state.

I figure I can beat myself up about the expenditure of time & money, but the truths are this: (a) there are people who want & need ALL the quilts we quilters make and (b) I worked hard my whole life, even as a child; for decades, I did without everything but the necessities of life. Now that I do have the resources & time to have a hobby I enjoy, I'm going for it!

I surely hope you can ease your mind about your quilt making!
Old 10-04-2010, 01:36 PM
mac

Looking at from your daughter's point of view...

Maybe she was trying to tell you that she's not getting enough attention and subconscientiously she is thinking that the quilting is getting in the way of her time with you.

Just a thought.

I don't remember if you gave her age, but she sounds like a young adult. When I was younger I didn't think things through of what something meant to another person and can remember saying things to my mom that now (at 60) I can't believe I said. When you are gone and all she has is your quilts she may change her tune rather drastically. I'm sure she really wants you to be happy and if quilting makes you happy, keep on doing it.

Also, maybe including her in some aspect of quilting - even if it is just having her come with you while you give some of your quilts to charity and seeing what joy and pleasure it brings to others to receive a quilt, will give her a different view of quilting.
Old 10-04-2010, 01:41 PM

Please keep the military in mind. My grandson just finished basic training at Ft. Benning, GA and his friends were always wanting to hear what we were doing and what we were getting at yard sales and thrift shops. It surprised me that these young men love quilts.
Old 10-04-2010, 02:43 PM

If you don't mind me saying... it's none of your daughter's damn business. There, I said it.

Unless you are asking her to pay for your materials, or you are paying for materials but she has to pay your mortgage or buy your food, you don't need to justify, or explain, or make excuses, or feel bad. Your life, your choices.

Tell her I said so. :P
Old 10-04-2010, 02:53 PM
Power Poster

Oh no! I agree with all who said she doesn't get it! I enjoy the process from thinking about it, to getting the fabrics, to cutting, sewing, basting quilting and binding. Not all parts are fun every time and not everything comes out the way I envision it, but, it is all part of it. I heard someone once say "If it isn't illegal, unethical or immoral..."
Old 10-04-2010, 02:56 PM

I give them to foster kids identified by the school as "needy" at Christmas. Try to make doll quilts and buy dolls for the girls too. Someone else will have to do the boys.
Old 10-04-2010, 03:02 PM

there are plenty of charities ... project linus being one of them ... of where you can donate your quilts ... I don't believe it's a waste of time or money ... there are elderly folks that would love a wonderful quilt as well ... i'm sure if you look around there are folks you can give them too, or you can even sell a few to buy more material ...

Just my 2 cents worth ;)
Old 10-04-2010, 03:33 PM

I have just registered on the message board so I can respond to your post. I am not new to quilting, in my family it is an inherited gene!! I can not understand how anyone could think that quilting, or any other craft for that matter, could be a waste of time or money. We all need a creative outlet of some kind or we would all implode!!