Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
In a slump!!! How can I get back in the swing of things? >

In a slump!!! How can I get back in the swing of things?

In a slump!!! How can I get back in the swing of things?

Old 11-21-2010, 10:17 AM

Sometimes you just need a break. Take your time. Soon you'll find an old or new project that peeks your interest and you'll be back in the swing of things again.

Back in July or August, we had a 'group slump' going on. I think everyone has recovered from that one.

Hang in there. :thumbup:
Old 11-21-2010, 10:18 AM

If you want to do it, you will. Right now, maybe you want a break. I never think forcing yourself is a good idea. Sometimes I sit at the computer thinking I should be quilting, which is ridiculous. If I wanted to quilt, I would. Nobody is stopping me but me. There's nothing wrong with taking some time off. Read a book and then see how you feel. And if you go back before you finish the book, that's okay too.
Old 11-21-2010, 10:30 AM

When that happens to me, I go into my stash and organize and just touch the fabrics for a while, and first thing you know, I'm back at it full time. It is snowing here today, so I am going to just finish up some arm covers for the loveseat, and work on my applique quilt (I'm marking the quilting) then I have some handwork on a table topper, and my daughter just brought me the fabrics from the quilt my GD and I started together before she moved to WA. I should be busy for today and tomorrow anyway lol
Old 11-21-2010, 10:56 AM

If I feel that way, and I think we all do at some point, I have my crochet to fall back on. If you have another hobby, switch to that for awhile. The quilting desire never leaves us; it just needs a rest sometimes. If no hobby, read through your quilting books/mags and sort, or sort fabric, reflold it, something that doesn't involve the machine. Good idea, yes??
Old 11-21-2010, 11:01 AM

I just got out of that mood. I was talking to my nieice and she asked me if I was still quilting and I said yes. She wants to learn more and said she would love a Flying Geese one day. So during the conversation I found out she is going to have her 60th birthday! egads ,I can't believe I have a nieice that old. But any way I decided to make her a flying gees quilt. It seems it is easier to do something for a gift when you are not motivated . Oh well it worked for me. It is fun to give people surprises.
Old 11-21-2010, 11:05 AM

I am in a funk right now too...I was trying to get a project I was excited about done,( 1/2 finished in Aug ) but every weekend things would come up that took my time.Now I just go up to my sewing room, turn around and leave. I'm hoping after Thanksgiving things will change for me...
Old 11-21-2010, 11:06 AM

Originally Posted by luvrazz
I am also in a slump, my husband passed away 3 months ago and you would think that I should be quilting, quilting, quilting, because I don't have to stop and make dinner or any other thing that a husband requires but instead I just sit and watch TV. So I have decided to take an applique class the Sunday after Thanksgiving to try to take me out of this slump... Sure hope this works...
3 months is such a short time; please be more gentle with yourself as the loss is huge. We weren't meant to go through grief quickly. Only those who have had such a huge loss of a precious person in their lives knows how paralyzing this can be. God bless you. :)
Old 11-21-2010, 11:09 AM

Is it possible that you are expecting too much from yourself too soon? You had a major life change pretty recently and you need to recover. You will do that at your own pace and in your own way. If you don't want to quilt, then you must need a break. It will come back but give it time.

I am so sorry for your loss. You must have a huge hole in your life without your DH and you need to be gentle with yourself right now.

Irish
Old 11-21-2010, 11:37 AM

Echoing similar sentiments, don't force yourself or feel guilt because you aren't sewing like you think you should be. It's all part of the process. Even with things that we absolutely love, sometimes too much of a good thing is just that, too much. Relax and search for another interest.

It will all be there when you get back to it. So don't worry yourself. When it happens you'll be whipping out projects like nobody's business.
Old 11-21-2010, 11:50 AM
Power Poster

When that happens to me, I spend WAY MORE time here and live vicariously through all the active people on the QB. Before I know it, some picture or some thread sparks my interest and I'm back in the swing of things.

Another trick I try is to do something totally different from what I normally work on.
Just hang in there. Our lives get so busy - sometimes even the "fun" stuff gets to be a chore.