Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Rowenta or......??? >

Rowenta or......???

Rowenta or......???

Old 12-15-2010, 04:13 AM

Originally Posted by luvstitches
I worked at a large chain fabric store for 11 years, mostly in customer service. I've returned many Rowentas and purchased two of them that were returned at a damaged price plus my employee discount. The two that I bought have nothing wrong with them however, I don't think they get as hot as some of the cheap brands of irons. When I no longer have these two irons, I will buy a Black and Decker.
You can't put distilled water in Rowentas.
The water thing and the fact that they are heavy are my biggest complaints about the Rowenta's. It seems that my daughter's takes forever to heat up. My Shark has little blinking lights that tell you what temp it is at; I like that feature and that it is not Teflon and has lots of steam holes; also you can set it at how much steam you want or none. I don't remember exactly how much I paid, but it wasn't over $40. I got mine with my rebate check from BJ's wholesale club. The only disadvantage I can find in it is that it is a little tippy and won't sit in the holder on my ironing board. That is not a problem for me as I rarely use my ironing board, since I have the big ironing table.
Old 12-15-2010, 04:24 AM

Rats! That's what I should've asked Santa for for Christmas...a new iron and ironing board. I have a Shark now and I hate it. The base is very unstable and it falls off the board all the time--has nicked my floors! The plate is hard to keep clean. I do like it's steam, but not when it shoots out brownish water. Is that my water? I have cleaned it out several times. I hate the automatic shut-off. I think it's activated after only five minutes!
Old 12-15-2010, 04:51 AM

I did a lot of research on this subject several years ago when I also had the ROWENTA bug. But after reading Consumer Reports mag and many other sources .... Several years in a row starting in 2007...Black & Decker D2030 Auto- off Digital Advantage iron was rated highest with no complaints.... The Rowenta wasn't rated that high.
Old 12-15-2010, 04:52 AM

You know, after reading all these varied opinions, it got me to thinking.... Buying an iron, or a sewing machine for somebody is kinda like buying someone underwear or a pocketbook. We all have our favorite things and no one else can understand that. Just think about it......
Old 12-15-2010, 04:55 AM

I have a Rowenta and had to send it back 2 times for service. It is fine now, but I really don't like it. It seems to shut off earlier that it should. I think I will head to Walmart for the cheap one.....
Old 12-15-2010, 05:13 AM

I bought a Shark with a vertical steam feature at WalMart a couple of years ago and loved it. I dropped it a couple of times and decided to get a Rowenta. It was about the same price after discounts but the cord is too short. The Shark had a really long cord which was great for me. Next time, I'll get the Shark again.
Old 12-15-2010, 05:23 AM

I bought a cordless iron by Maytag, it has a base to keep it hot, and I love not dragging that cord over my pieces and moving them. It shuts itself off after no use, but it heats back up fast if plugged in. I always unplug after I am finished sewing. I ordered mine from Maytag's web site, I am not sure if they even make them anymore. Fons and Porter used to promote them before they went to the type that picks itself back up. But I did pay about $100 for it. It has a titanium base so nothing sticks to it at all.

I had a Rowenta and gave it to my daughter in law and she still uses it for just regular ironing. She likes the weight of it.
Old 12-15-2010, 05:24 AM

Rowenta is no longer made in Germany. I think they make them in China now. My experience is that they do leak. I have a Shark and like it.
Old 12-15-2010, 05:32 AM

Hi I'm Gabs,
I've had Rowenta's for years but, have found a really good iron with better steam, and lighter than Rowenta. The Shark irons are wonderful and half the price. Bought mine at Walmart. A lady who irons for extra cash uses the Shark. She loves hers and now I love mine. Hope this helps.
Old 12-15-2010, 05:34 AM

I keep going back to my Rowenta because it is the only one I have that doesn't have auto shut off - which I hate. Anyone know of an iron without the auto shut off?