Cleaning Laminate floors

Old 01-04-2011, 05:22 PM

We purchased one of those Sharp floor steamers for our lamanit and it cleans it just wonderful then you just throw the cover into the washing machine. I love it. Drys so quickly too.
Old 01-04-2011, 05:25 PM

I just bought one of those steam/vacuum cleaners and just finished my laminated floors tonight. After steaming them I used "quick shine" by Holloway House and they came out nice and shiny! I have one of those long wide mops (I think its a Mr. Clean one) that comes with a cloth with elastic around the edges. It works great!
Old 01-04-2011, 05:26 PM

I used furniture polishing pledge on our hardwood floors right after we got married - my feet went flying out from under me. Needless to say, I learned from that mistake and will never do it again!

Originally Posted by leatheflea
Pledge makes a cleaner just for hard wood. It can only be bought at home improvement stores. I use to clean houses and thats all our costumers would allow us to put on there fancy floors. They would shine with little effort. One of the new gals accidentally put lemon pinesol on one of the floors. We all freaked seeing it cloud up. We immediately got down on our hands and knees and started cleaning the floor again. Luckily it wasnt permanant damage, the Pledge would floor cleaner fixed the floor. It comes in concentrate. Lasts forever, but pricey.
Old 01-04-2011, 06:22 PM

The Bona products worked well for me when I had Laminate floors(before I sold that house and moved here) They are in the larger supermarket and in big bix stores.
Old 01-04-2011, 06:22 PM

I use vinegar and water on mine and have no trouble. I just make sure the mop I use is squeezed/wrung out thoroughly before mopping the floor.
Old 01-04-2011, 06:51 PM

Just an hour or so ago I was in one of my local Save Marts, and in the cleaning isle they had some of the cutest cloth sandals with big blobs of thick string underneath them. Looked like something that a kid would love to wear and even do some good. I am still thinking of getting me some, might be fun. Clean the floor and then mop and rinse it. Wax in the last rinse water.
Old 01-04-2011, 07:17 PM

Originally Posted by krlowe
White vinegar and water here too. I have hard wood and travertine floors. I also use this to clean windows, mirrors, bathroom fixtures, etc. be sure to use an old tshirt with it. You just can't beat the way things look after using it plus you don't get all the harmful chemicals and it is economical.
is that the floating laminate flooring you use it on ??
just wondering because that is what i have , not the real wood floors but the laminate that clicks together
Old 01-04-2011, 08:20 PM

We use Murphy's soap and follow directions on bottle. after we wash with a pad, we dry with a clean dry pad. small area at a time. Good Luck
Old 01-04-2011, 08:30 PM

I have laminate in the hole house except the bedrooms and absolutely hate them. The first time I used the mops and just water or windex w/vinegar which is suggested, they dried all cloudy like yours. I ended up buying a $500 old fashion floor polisher and just spray water and polish all at one time. It hurts my back really bad to have to push anything back & forth. The polisher runs by itself and is easy to quide. Got it at Oreck. Was the only place I found a good one. They also have a cleaner and light polish. Now my floors are really shinny except when I miss a spot and the sun hits it. I can't even wipe up a spot without it being dull. I can't imagine you being able to use Pledge for hardwoods since laminate is not a sealed floor. The Engineered wood cleand up really nice, tho. Much better. Good Luck.

Peg-TX
Old 01-04-2011, 08:32 PM

I have laminate in the hole house except the bedrooms and absolutely hate them. The first time I used the mops and just water or windex w/vinegar which is suggested, they dried all cloudy like yours. I ended up buying a $500 old fashion floor polisher and just spray water and polish all at one time. It hurts my back really bad to have to push anything back & forth. The polisher runs by itself and is easy to quide. Got it at Oreck. Was the only place I found a good one. They also have a cleaner and light polish. Now my floors are really shinny except when I miss a spot and the sun hits it. I can't even wipe up a spot without it being dull. I can't imagine you being able to use Pledge for hardwoods since laminate is not a sealed floor. The Engineered wood cleand up really nice, tho. Much better. Good Luck.

Peg-TX