Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
UFO Challenge of the Month 2010 >

UFO Challenge of the Month 2010

UFO Challenge of the Month 2010

Old 06-17-2010, 10:44 AM

Thanks. I couldn't figure that out for anything. This is kinda funny cuz I almost tossed out a bunch of triangles and blocks I had cut out for my first project, and I might still have to do, because I didn't know I was supposed to wash all the fabric first. I'm guessing I can't save these, right?

Originally Posted by Quilt Mom
WannabeQuilter: UFO is UnFinished Object. This challenge is to finish all those projects sitting in boxes, waiting. I need to do this, too.

Join the fun! And if you have no unfinished objects this year, just wait until next (month/year?). Every quilter I know has at least one project that they started and did not, for whatever reason, complete! I hesitate to say how many I have. :lol: :lol: :oops: :lol:
Old 06-17-2010, 11:00 AM

Pre-washing is not required unless it is for a swap and the swap requires it. If the project is for yourself, don't worry about the situation. Go ahead and make the quilt. When you first wash the completed item, throw in a couple of color catcher sheets to 'catch' any dye that is released in the water.

If you want to be really careful (and I would with any reds) try putting a piece of the fabric in a sink of water to see if the fabric releases dye. If so, you have to decide if the risk of that fabric coloring the rest of your fabrics is worth putting it in the project.
Old 06-17-2010, 11:22 AM

Okay, not sure what a swap is but I don't think that's what I'm doing. I have a couple of blocks done so will try the sink test - that's a really good idea. I almost tossed all those triangles and blocks out and I might still have to but we'll see. Thank you!!

Originally Posted by Quilt Mom
Pre-washing is not required unless it is for a swap and the swap requires it. If the project is for yourself, don't worry about the situation. Go ahead and make the quilt. When you first wash the completed item, throw in a couple of color catcher sheets to 'catch' any dye that is released in the water.

If you want to be really careful (and I would with any reds) try putting a piece of the fabric in a sink of water to see if the fabric releases dye. If so, you have to decide if the risk of that fabric coloring the rest of your fabrics is worth putting it in the project.
Old 06-17-2010, 12:59 PM

I'm new to this board, but my 2010 New Years resolution was to finish what I had before I bought more. I'm doing good. I've pieced about 6 or 8 tops (nothing large except one) and am finishing one this weekend. On July 1 I start the quilting process. I'm giving most away as Christmas gifts this year so I have the incentive to get things quilted. Wish me luck in quilting.
Old 06-17-2010, 01:06 PM

Originally Posted by katyquilter
I'm new to this board, but my 2010 New Years resolution was to finish what I had before I bought more. I'm doing good. I've pieced about 6 or 8 tops (nothing large except one) and am finishing one this weekend. On July 1 I start the quilting process. I'm giving most away as Christmas gifts this year so I have the incentive to get things quilted. Wish me luck in quilting.
Good luck! I know you can do it! :thumbup:
Old 06-17-2010, 01:45 PM
EC

I can't imagine having even begun Christmas gifts in July, you go girl!!!
Old 06-17-2010, 06:55 PM

Originally Posted by katyquilter
We want to see pictures :lol: You've done about 6-8 tops? Hmmm . . . that takes care of at least Jan, Feb, Mar, Apr, May, June. So you can consider yourself up to date if you want to join the challenge. :thumbup:
Old 06-17-2010, 07:01 PM

Originally Posted by Tiffany
You will need one very dark half yard cut and a good light half yard cut. The other three half yard cuts should be in the medium value. This is your color palatte for the Challenge. :wink:
WOO HOO - got the Fons and Porter thingy today. Going to wash and iron the fabric this week-end. Then I'll put it all together into a baggie and I'll be ready to go when you are. Thanks for doing this.
Old 06-20-2010, 02:58 PM

I sighed on in Jan., think I got a couple finished and then lost my get up and go.
Need to get on board with my UFO's again.
Old 06-20-2010, 03:42 PM

Originally Posted by brushandthimble
I signed on in Jan., think I got a couple finished and then lost my get up and go. Need to get on board with my UFO's again.
You're not alone in that. I did Jan. and then fell off the wagon myself. Just lately got my rear in gear and back into the "quilting saddle". Some of my UFO's were as simple as pillow cases. So go for it - start on the small ones and the bigger ones will follow. I'm finally up through June. Got a couple more pics to post and then I'll look for July's. I got plenty to choose from. :lol: :lol: :lol:

I got plenty to choose from.