Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Need help please!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! >
  • Need help please!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !

• Need help please!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !

Old 06-23-2011, 05:00 AM

My name is Vivian. I am a longarm quilter of ten years. It sounds like the quilt is probably too big for a longarm table unless someone has a 14' table. I have a Statler Stitcher-12' table. Not sure I could get your quilt on my table, but before I started longarming I did all my work on a regular sewing machine. If you would pay the shipping charges, I would be willing to finish your quilt for you at no cost. There have been a few times in the past ten years when a quilt took me a lot longer or more quilting than anticipated and I am the one who took the loss. I have never transfered that to my customers. I am honest, reliable and trustworthy. It may take me awhile to get it done. I currently have a steady 45 quilts hanging to be quilted for other customers and about three months out. If you look up http://www.thequiltpatternshoppe.com and look up Quilted Treasures or Vivian Head under designers you can see a picture of me and my mother and some of the patterns I have designed. I live in Grand Junction, Colorado and have a son that lives in Florida. I receive quilt tops from all over the states. Let me know if this is something I can help you with. Vivian
    Old 06-23-2011, 05:18 AM

I'm so sorry this has happened, that quilter should be thoroughly ashamed of herself for doing this to you! She owes you a refund for part if not all of the price she charged you!
    You can have the quilt finished by another Longarmer who can create a leaf pattern from those that are already on the quilt. If you try and finish on your domestic machine, there is no way it is going to come close to looking similar, especially as you are new at it.
    Old 06-23-2011, 05:26 AM

Sally & vivsqt, I think that is just so wonderful of you to offer to finish quilting Lindach quilt. The people here on this board are just awesome.

Lindach, sorry this happened to you. Your quilt sounds beautiful.
    Old 06-23-2011, 05:28 AM

I'm sorry to hear of this, chalk it up.
    Another question to ask your LA'r
    What is the length you can comfortably quilt on your machine? I have a 10' table, but my sister has a 12' table.

I had also wondered about the center and the sides being completed, I start on the top and work down, unless I'm stablizing the quilt blocks to square up the quilt. Longarmers don't start in the middle.

This can be taken care of thankfully.

Enjoy!
    Old 06-23-2011, 05:30 AM

I can recommend a lady here in Bar Harbor, ME who does beautiful quilting on her longarm. I don't know if you would feel comfortable shipping it up here or not. I also don't know if she can do it since it was taken off another machine (I assume it is machine done). I don't know anything about the process really although she did demonstrate it to our guild. She is a nurse at the hospital and super clean and neat. I have no idea what she charges at this point either. If you want more info, please PM me.

Originally Posted by Lindach
    I recently completed my first real quilt, a 124x124 made with deer panels, 9- patch blocks and flying geese down all sides
    It is suppose to fit a california king bed, anyway, I presently live in Indiana, but am moving back to florida. I went to fl. for a month. While I was there I had a very recommended quilter do my quilt. She said she could do it and quoted me a price. She had some problems and called to say she couldnot do it all. So center is done and 2 of the 4 sides. my problem is I have never even tried to quilt, let alone try to make leaf patterns, free handed. Also the flying geese need something. I dont know whether to sew them down or not. I cannot afford to pay someone to quilt, the lady ended up charging $50.00 more,
    so any suggestions on how to finish this will be appreciated.
    Thanks Lindav
    Old 06-23-2011, 05:35 AM
    Power Poster

Originally Posted by Johanna Fritz
    How frustrating for you. As it was not completed, I assume you know, but it cannot be finished on a long arm machine, as the 3 layers are wound on separate take up "spools" and they meet under the needle area.
    I think this entirely depends upon your rack setup. My very first quilt I did on the LA, when I finished it I decided it needed more quilting. I simply rolled up the entire sandwich on my "backing" roller. I have a stationary tension roller and my takeup is also stationary set well above the machine bed. I had no trouble going back and doing the additional quilting.
    Old 06-23-2011, 05:40 AM
    RDM

What a heartbreak. How did the LAQ determine pricing-by inch and pattern? If you told her 124x124 and she did not believe you but took the job, then that's her error and she should be working with you to complete the quilt, rather than giving it back. I may be wrong, but I believe once she had the quilt on her frame, she would have been able to tell size, then if oversized, at that time should have declined BEFORE starting. I would go back to her, voice your unhappiness, the difficulty you now face, and inquire why she accepted the job, started on the job, but is stopping unfinished, and is there no possibility to quilt the other two side panels. It's business negotiations on both sides.
    Old 06-23-2011, 05:42 AM
    MTS
    Banned

Originally Posted by feline fanatic
    I think this entirely depends upon your rack setup.

I had no trouble going back and doing the additional quilting.
    I've had many quilts done by LA's after I'd already done some quilting on it myself.
    They've never had any problems rolling it on the machine as one layer.
    Old 06-23-2011, 05:45 AM

The first thing I would do is give her name and/or business name on this board!
    Old 06-23-2011, 05:56 AM

I would love to hear the outcome of this delima. I, too, am a Longarmer. My 12' table/frame would not accommodate your quilt and I would have told you so in the beginning. I hope you will send your quilt to one of the LA-ers who has offered to finish it for you. But you certainly should get at least a partial refund from the one who didn't finish it. I would not charge you anything if it had been me and I had realized after starting it that I couldn't finish it. It would have been my error, and I also would have offered to pick out all the quilting I had done on it.