Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
How many sewing machines do I need????? >

How many sewing machines do I need?????

How many sewing machines do I need?????

Old 08-07-2011, 04:02 AM

I have 4 and a serger. I'm looking for a treadle and if I find anything else at a reasonable price while I'm looking, I'll get more. I'm also planning on a longarm in the future.
Old 08-07-2011, 04:06 AM

I have 6 machines and my long arm.
Old 08-07-2011, 04:58 AM

I have "Miss Nina', "Miss Ellie", "Aunt Bertha" Miss Song" and Miss Jan. :)
Old 08-07-2011, 05:11 AM

My collection is growing by leaps and bounds! I have my Janome 6600, a babylock serger, recently acquired a fw and table off craiglist, and last week I bought a 301 off ebay. Friday night I "won" a card table for the 301 off ebay. Yesterday Hubby went out "garage sellin'" (yes, for us it is a verb, lol) and came home with a beautiful 15-91 from 1952 in a cabinet ($22.50), a 385 in a cabinet ($10), and a free Hoosier cabinet! So now I'm up to 6 full size machines, I also have 4 vintage toy machines that I display with my other vintage memoribilia.
Old 08-07-2011, 05:14 AM

Originally Posted by Blackberry
I just recently acquired a 1903 Singer 127 that was free from an Estate Sale. Sent it to my repair man for servicing and just got it back yesterday. What a beauty. Also I recently bought a Singer 201 Centennial on Craig's List for $10. A short time later I went to another estate sale looking for the blonde Singer sewing cabinet that was listed and, what a surprise, it had a 15-91 Singer inside, both items for $65. This got me to thinking, I wonder how many machines do my quilting friends have. I have a total of 11, One Universal, my first sewing machine that is nearly 40 years old, a Brother CS6000i, 2 Singer 201's, a Janome Mini Sew, A 1903 Singer 127, 2 Singer Featherweights. a Singer 15-91, a Singer 301A and a Singer 66 Treadle that was given to me by my MIL. My repairman says I have a nice collection.
2 sewing machines per room is a good ratio :) but 3 in some is ok because in some climates the bath is so humid
Old 08-07-2011, 05:26 AM

I have 4, main machine is my Pfaff and for workshops I have a lightweight Jem Gold, also have a cheapie Brother that I bought when I first began quilting. Found that it didn't hold up with the amount of sewing I was doing. In 3 years I spent more on repairs than I paid for the Brother so I stepped up to a Pfaff and am very happy with it. The Brother is my 'back up' and I try to use it as often as I can to keep it going - usually make string blocks and quilts with it.

Also have a white Featherweight that I hardly use because it's kept in the closet. Wish I had space for each machine to be out and ready to use whenever I want. May in Jersey
Old 08-07-2011, 05:31 AM

Originally Posted by leggz48
I ran across a Singer in a round top wooden portable case with latch and key. However, it has a shuttle instead of bobbin and I don't know anything about them; how to wind, load, tension????) Anyway, I plugged it in but no one had fabric so I sewed on paper.....sounded good, but made quite a 'bird's nest'. Can anyone help me on making decision on whether to buy it? How hard it is to adjust tension? Need Help in a Hurry!!! Thanks! Oh and this will be #10!
Oh, bless your heart you did not even have a fat quarter in your purse? :roll: [joking]
Old 08-07-2011, 05:36 AM

I used to think "how many machines does one woman need?" in my effort of downsizing, and simplifying life. Turns out it depends on what projects you are sewing.

Excessiveness is having too many machines collecting dust, packed away somewhere, or otherwise eyecandy. I used to have just 1, then I needed a serger, then I found out the hard way I needed a backup machine for when the '1' was in for repairs, or died. So now I have 4 machines, and the latest one is a 301, which can sew through 8 layers of leather (should I need it to), it's perfect for topquilting.

Bottomline: they don't make 1 machine to do it all, so this is how we collect machines.

Blessings,
MaryAnna
Old 08-07-2011, 05:47 AM

I have 19 and gave a Kenmoor away to a community center in Gates county N.C. I sold a new singer that was my moms. My main machine is a V. Diamond. A lot of them are not running or not in cabinets. People just kept giving them to me. I do have a featherweight (1952), White treadle, Free treadle in a parlor cabinet, Singer table top with a rounded coffin, plus New Home and some that I don't remember the names of. I have several treadle cabinets that need restored. I saw a Free treadle at a thrift store for $225. It was in real good shape but I just turned and walked away. I am an addict, but boy is it fun.
Old 08-07-2011, 05:50 AM

ok serious now 301A with table, juki serger 634, Bernina 1630, and bernette 55 (for classes)all were brand new when they came into my life. All except bernette are used daily. my dreams for the future include a LA Millineum and a perfect little featherweight. IF i ever found a treadle like the one my aunt had i would have to find room for it !!!!! I have never given them names, but have always called them by their numbers. That is what amused me most about R2-D2 and C3PO in "star wars"