Men with meat

Old 09-28-2011, 08:11 AM

Yes, we do have them come by occasionally. Do not buy from them unless they are the Swann Truck.
Old 09-28-2011, 08:31 AM

They used to come here a couple of times a year. I declined. They were selling shrimp, too.
Old 09-28-2011, 08:39 AM

Originally Posted by leatheflea
Yep theres a fella that would come around here with a freezer in the back of his pick up. I never bought any but my neighbor did and she said she would buy again, really good meat. I'm just not that trusting either. Could be his neighbors saint benard for all I know.
LOL the neighbor's Saint Bernard! But seriously do these people even have Dept of Health certificates and/or food vendors licenses? Times are hard but I wouldn't buy anything from a guy I didn't know who had a freezer (or cooler!) in his pickup, but then again I'm just naturally a suspicious person. I'd just be too afraid of us getting sick, especially my children.
Old 09-28-2011, 08:50 AM

Originally Posted by Kimkankwilt
Actually, I buy meat from 2 different guys in trucks with the meat in the back freezer compartment. It's expensive, but way worth it. It's MUCH better than meat from the grocery store.
It's probably not better meat - it's just chemically treated to be more tender. Schwans is the same way - it's good! but when my dog started having seizures from the chemicals....
Old 09-28-2011, 08:55 AM

I generally let my German Shepherd (my avatar) answer the door with me when these guys come around. One look at her friendly growling face is enough to convince them that I am not interested. They do come back though but haven't seen them in a bit. Would never buy meat from them worried about the source and if meat has been kept properly refrigerated, etc.
Old 09-28-2011, 09:18 AM

They come by here too but we do not buy from them. we know nothing of where it came from and what it truly is.
Old 09-28-2011, 09:37 AM

Wow, I have never heard of people going door to door selling meat. I know I wouldn't buy any meat that way.
Old 09-28-2011, 09:38 AM

Those crazy meat sellers come down my street alot. I just tell them I'm not interested. I wish I had a big dog to sic on them, but I only have a barky little dachshund who could bite his ankles off. hehehehe
Old 09-28-2011, 10:29 AM

About twice a year, I buy from a guy who sells cases of Chef's Classic steaks, chicken, seafood. I gave him my phone number so he can let me know when he's coming my way on this route. These are absolutely wonderful--better quality than I can buy at the local groceries. Last time I bought 3 cases of beef! I also wanted some chicken breasts, but he was already sold out before he got here (reason I gave him a no. to call me ahead next time). Each portion is vacuum sealed individually. It takes about 15 minutes in lukewarm water in the vacuum pack to thaw them and start cooking them.

Wrapped in butcher paper and no idea under what conditions they were prepared? No--I'd pass on that, too.
Old 09-28-2011, 12:13 PM

There have people selling in my neighborhood over the years, but not lately. I'm a little picky about where my meat and produce come from; would not buy "mystery meat".