Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • When is too much fabric - too much fabric? >
  • When is too much fabric - too much fabric?

• When is too much fabric - too much fabric?

Old 03-22-2013, 03:32 PM

Originally Posted by mike'sgirl
    Sounds like you are just a bit overwhelmed. Try just organizing your stash for 10 minutes at a time. Put on a timer and stop when it goes off. You will be amazed at what you can accomplish in that short amount of time. Then go do something fun, like quilting. hth, Gina
    Sounds like Flylady! I used her methods for decluttering for a while a few years ago, and then fell off the wagon!
    Old 03-22-2013, 05:14 PM

I've never had much of a stash and now I'm involved with Quilt for kids and I never seem to have enough fabric. I can't even imagine having "too much" fabric.
    Old 03-22-2013, 05:33 PM

When I can no longer afford more stash is when I will have enough. Until then all is game for me. Even though three closets & sewing room is totally packed. Not to mention all the other little hiding spots that no one knows about. I know there will be a time that I won't be able to afford to buy fabric at least I know I will never run out in my life time. DH always asks if I need another trip to the fabric store. Now & then I do refrain from going & that really surprises him.
    Old 03-22-2013, 06:29 PM

You can never have to much fabric in your stash-I work at a sewing factory and just brought home fabric for someday quilt projects--shhhhhh! don't tell hubby. whenever I bring a bag home he swears he will have to add on to our house-which will never happen if he out lives me.
    Old 03-23-2013, 12:33 AM

A few years ago I'm sure I would have said "I'm sorry I don't understand the question!!!"

But joking apart, as much as I love my stash it is overwhelming and it took me over 2 weeks to sort.

I kind of wish that I'd kept to buying fabric on a project by project basis.
    Old 03-23-2013, 02:45 AM

I am doing the same, but also using my stash for the backing or making double sided pieced quilts. I am slowly making a dent in my scrap bins. I have also been making dog toys, using scrap small pieces of batting for the stuffing. I use fabric that is made for curtians or funiture and so far they have not ripped them apart. the squeaker do only last for a few hours. I need to figure out how to make them last longer.
    Originally Posted by mimiof4
    I have a pretty decent stash and love to fabric shop but I have been trying to use from my stash, I find it very gratifying doing a whole quilt top from what I already have. I usually do purchase backing fabric.
    Old 03-23-2013, 05:22 AM
    Swap Hosts

Just get sewing. Pull out some coordinating fabrics and sew. Give yourself a challenge to sew through it all before you're dead!
    Old 03-23-2013, 07:12 AM

Right now, I am going to have to move my stash to another room for storage as I am getting my own designated sewing room. Hooray. I am unsure as to whether to sort it out or just keep it since I will have plenty of room for it. I too get frustrated with my stash, but it is more because I can't sew right now since my room is in limbo at present.
    Old 03-23-2013, 07:29 AM

My daughter sometimes "shops" in my stash. She's so proud to be "helping me out"....Ha!!
    Old 03-23-2013, 07:36 AM

When is too much fabric - too much fabric?

When the floor of your sewing room caves in - YES - it happened to me. Had to move everything out of that room and they had to take the entire floor out - down to the dirt underneath. Wierd, to open the door and walk out onto dirt. They found some concrete steps along the inner wall and that, they said, was probably an added onto room, possibly a back porch that someone had made into a room sometime later. So, with the weight of all of my fabric stash, etc. it was just too much for the added onto part. They warned me that it will never be strong enough to hold all of my stash so now it is all over the house. Bummer.