Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • while quilting my house goes to pot ..any one else ? >
  • while quilting my house goes to pot ..any one else ?

• while quilting my house goes to pot ..any one else ?

Old 06-26-2013, 06:00 AM

I, too, keep bathrooms clean, dishes clean, and clothes washed and fold them when I need that load. Dust? Only when necessary. DH runs the vacuum for me (bad back), so presentable? Yes, but not so much. NO one goes into my studio but me, so it looks like a whirlwind went through. Will get back to it after recovery from back surgery 3+ weeks ago.
    Old 06-26-2013, 06:35 AM

I was raised in a house where we couldn't put our head on the back of the couch. couldn't put ourhands on the arms. We lived in a small town, and people said they could eat on our floor. I don't blame my Mother because when she was small they slept on straw mattresses, Very, Very poor. She loved her house so much. I'm too old to do a lot of housekeeping. I hate it. We work from our home. I cook for 5. I like my kitchen and bathrooms clean, and that about does it. We have a cleaning lady every 2 weeks, but they don't know about under things. Like under the couch, chairs, etc. Just the middle. Real fast. That's my story.
    Old 06-26-2013, 06:52 AM

Loved all the comments. I am a widow so live alone and I am pretty good about picking up after myself because I hate spending time looking for something I need. As for cleaning. I am looking around and you could write it the dust and I need to vacum and clean the bathroom. Maybe it will get done this weedend maybe it won't. I have two baby quilts I am planning on working on and they say it will be hot this weekend. There are no dishes in the dishwasher because I just ran the dishwasher, I ran out of glasses. I'd rather quilt or do other things than clean house. There are no faries that come in and clean for me so it will be there when I get around to it.
    Old 06-26-2013, 07:32 AM

I have 2 kids under the age of 2 and both my husband and I are ministers at our church, so we get a lot of people who just randomly stop by. Based on that my rule is this: I can only quilt after the house is clean. Living room, Dining Room, Bathroom, and kitchen. The bedrooms are a different story since no one goes in those except us. The good news is that once it is clean I get 2-3 days before I really have to clean again!
    Old 06-26-2013, 07:43 AM

Grass can grow, dishes pile up, dusting and vacuuming don't get done. I have my priorities. ;-) Hwever, I do take care of the dogs first.
    Old 06-26-2013, 07:50 AM

Originally Posted by Bneighbor
    You described my house, except without the children's toys--dog toys instead. Hubby wants socks, well those are in the laundry basket in the spare room-- underwear too-- fold them while you are in there if that is important to you. There are 4 baskets in there to fold--git-r-done! Dishes are done, bathrooms--- well the health department would not give it the white glove, but then , I did not invite them in. Deadlines? I enjoy the swishing noise they make as they fly by!
    Truly, when you look deep, our houses may not be magazine cover ready, but it is lived in by people who enjoy life. I will get the laundry folded, the bathrooms will be cleaned, the house will sparkle, but not today.
    amen to all of the above. after the grkids leave their toys stay just as they left them, hubs picks up the doggy toys-he doesn't want to trip over them. i don't worry, i won't trip -i'm stationary - sewing!
    Old 06-26-2013, 07:54 AM

Did you hear about the man who said all his wifes were good housekeepers. Every time he divorce
    she kept the house.
    Old 06-26-2013, 08:57 AM
    Power Poster

My MIL was obsessed with having a clean house - even to the point where she started cleaning mine the day after she arrived for a visit. I'm serious, and I do clean house before company comes. Anyway, I like a clean house but hate housework - not in my "contract" that I have to like it. If dishes and laundry done - no worries. I'm glad my children remember the games we played, Sat. night "drive-in" movies in the living room, picnics in the park and of course the quilts I have made them - that is what I consider my legacy.
    Old 06-26-2013, 09:18 AM
    Power Poster

I expected my kids to respect their home and take pride in keeping it nice. Being compulsive does not enter the picture to want to live in a nice clean home. I don't mind dirt or mess but it's cleaned up not allowed to be part of the home. I don't want anyone to take off their shoes when entering my home. I don't like going to visit where I'm asked to remove my shoes. Of course if my shoes are muddy or wet that is different. I don't walk through a field or factory before going to visit someone. If you expect someone to take off their shoes then have a clean floor. Many times my shoes are cleaner then the floor I'm asked to walk on.
    Old 06-26-2013, 11:25 AM

I can't stand to wake up to dirty dishes either.

I leave the clothes in the hamper until the minute they are going to be washed and then do the laundry as fast as I can. I have a little area where I can fold and put them in the basket lickety split.

My bathrooms are clean because I hate a dirty bathroom. Once had a very slobby roommate and I found that that my biggest complaint about him was that he would never clean his the bathroom, Yuck!

My kitchen floor still has remnants of the berry jellies I made but this weekend I will mop it and they will be gone. I am deep in dust, but that's okay. Vacuuming will have to wait until next week.

The scraps on the floor bothering you? Turn around, the door is behind you. Got a project on the machine that needs finishing. That's my excuse and I am sticking to it. LOL

Originally Posted by valleyquiltermo
    Laundry, dishes and bathrooms always done. I can walk on scraps of fabric that don't bug me. But I don't want to walk on piles of laundry, No room to leave it in baskets or I would, I hate folding clothes. Can't stand to wake up to dirty dishes, also have a real dislike to dirty bathrooms. Thats just me.