Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
got a question for all you quilters who took over your kids rooms. >

got a question for all you quilters who took over your kids rooms.

got a question for all you quilters who took over your kids rooms.

Old 02-20-2010, 10:44 AM

My oldest was told- you need to leave home before age 30. She moved out at 29 1/2. Her room turned into a guest room where I sewed. Had to pack up everytime someone came over.

Then my oldest son moved out- sort of. He came, he went, he came, he went, and finally he was gone. Don't know when I actually thought he was really gone, but it was months later. He kept his room the same. But then I was collecting more "stuff."

DD came and left several times too. Her room was in the basement because she left one too many times and other DD claimed her room and wasn't moving back out to accomodate. So we put a room in the basement.

We were facing 3 "guest" rooms. So- basement bedroom turned into storage- although it's a real nice looking storage room! Took DS's bed down into storage and started moving into his room. He didn't like it.

I am slowly moving him out- I still see his certifications on the shelf and I just moved over the bowling and wrestling trophies to put a basket on the top of the desk. Now if I could just convince him that when he's done with a semester's classes- they don't need to come here- we share the book case still. He has 2 drawers of his dresser with clothes and some in the closet. He says they are there in case he gets stuck here in the snow. OK- how can I argue with that?

But slowly but surely it looks more like a sewing room. I've talked them into cleaning the basement too. Time to get rid of the Boy Scout stuff and toys, etc. Now that is very hard to let go. I even rescued a few things- my younger DD's Glo Baby, DS's spongebob pillow to name 2. Goal is by spring to get rid of 50% of every room. (that is except my quilting stuff)
Old 02-20-2010, 05:53 PM

Our third and last son got married and moved out, I then had two bedrooms empty! I felt so quilty when my husband suggested we move all my sewing stuff up in one of the bedrooms. After sitting empty two years, I finally made the move the one room is completely filled with my sewing supplys and machines and cutting boards ect. I'm so happy I have a nice clean, sunny space for all my stuff, it has helped me adjust to the empty nest. Nancy from N.J.
Old 02-20-2010, 06:25 PM

I have 11 kids, 3 of them grown and we're playing the revolving door. 19 yr old has come back twice, 22 yrs old is here now and needed to get back out. its gonna be a while before I get to make one room into a sewing room as I still have 8 standing in line for a vacant room that can be just theirs.haha so I'll stick to my tiny little sitting room I have in my bedroom.. thats my domain..
Old 02-21-2010, 04:47 AM

God Bless Your Heart!, Its better to have children home than a sewing room space anyday! (as much as I love sewing my kids are first) My oldest who is 45 still says I think our mom would still have us all at home if she could. Thank you for reply, enjoy them now while you can, life goes too fast.
Old 02-21-2010, 05:54 AM

AHhh, my son will be leaving for college in August. We have been discussing this very topic--what to do with his room. :lol:

He will be going to school on the west coast. Due to the cost of lugging all his "stuff" (junk is more like it!), we only want to send it all once.

I'm enjoying reading this thread.
Old 02-21-2010, 06:14 AM
Power Poster

Location: Murray, Ky. Looking for a nice cushy pillow to rest my head on!

Thank you again everyone for your wonderful stories about you lives. This has turned into my favorite thread, I have read every comment and have loved it. Thank you again for your responses to my question.
Carrie
Old 02-21-2010, 06:25 AM

What a beautiful family you have. I'm so glad we have quilters all across the beautiful U.S.A. Make sure you all check out Quilts for Kids through Downy, I've joined in January and made six quilts so far. They are such a worthy wonderful cause to see the faces of those children of all ages who receive those quilts. By the way, I learned about this through this very web site! Wonderful! Bisque
Old 02-21-2010, 06:25 AM

Originally Posted by bisque
God Bless Your Heart!, Its better to have children home than a sewing room space anyday! (as much as I love sewing my kids are first) My oldest who is 45 still says I think our mom would still have us all at home if she could. Thank you for reply, enjoy them now while you can, life goes too fast.
I totally agree with you, but we must remember that we didn't raise our children for ourselves. We've raised them for the world out there. (not an easy thought!) So even though we do hate to see them go out there, we know they must be able to function without us. Our kids left when they married and are welcome to come home anytime they want. They each have their own families and their own homes. When they're having problems, they know where to come and they know they'll be welcome anytime. But their old room is no longer.
Old 02-21-2010, 06:30 AM

Hi, Thank you for reply! Totally agree, We must prepare them when they are young for the world out there and let them fly on their own, or they will never learn to "fly." Once we learn as parents, they are now grown, married, and they are their children not our children (grandchildren) its funny how they don't mind asking for advice when they know you are a unit and they are a unit or family and you respect each other. Thank you.
Old 02-21-2010, 10:39 AM
Power Poster

It's sad to see able bodied adult children dependent on their parents. Of course needing help over a rough spot, a parent should help but help only enough so the child can help himself.