Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Batting scraps, keep or throw out? >

Batting scraps, keep or throw out?

Batting scraps, keep or throw out?

Old 12-31-2010, 08:39 AM

Keep the batting scraps -- they come in handy for all sorts of things.... :lol:
Old 12-31-2010, 08:50 AM

I also heard of cutting them into rounds and using them between your fine china plates while they are in the cupboard.
Old 12-31-2010, 08:56 AM

WOW!!!! All of these ideas are great :) I keep my batting scraps----I zigzag them together------I have used the fusible stuff that you iron on (not a BIG fan of it, but it does work if you watch your iron heat)----I use it for small projects---I mostly use it for purse straps (especially the long 2" to 3" pieces)----I love the idea for pet/shelter bedding and the swiffer pads----but the main reason I keep my scraps is because I have a hard time throwing them away :) Thanks for all of the tips........
Old 12-31-2010, 09:02 AM

Joanns carry Insul-brite as does WalMart and most quilt stores.

I keep my batting scraps and use them in everything that have been discussed here. My one thing that hasn't been spoken of is STORING the batting in Space Saver bags that you suck all the air out of with the vacume cleaner. I put batting scraps of similar size in a bag and suck the air out. Doing this goes from a garbage bag sized bag to a small flat bag that takes up very little room but is easily available for use when needed. I put a piece of paper in the bag that says small, med. or large so I know which size bag to open when I'm needing a piece of batting. The Space Saver bags can be opened and closed a million times but you'll need to dig out the vacume to suck the air out after each opening. CAUTION: On the Space Saver bag it tells you where to STOP filling the bag...STOP! Don't overfill them as you'll tear the bag and won't be able to shrink wrap it once it's torn. How do I know this? Of course I didn't believe the caution when I saw it! :oops: :oops:
Old 12-31-2010, 09:11 AM

Originally Posted by mom2boyz
I am just finishing my 3rd pieced quilt so I am definitely a newbie. I have learned so much from this site and am addicted to checking the boards once or twice a day. I love the creative and beautiful ways people have used fabric scraps but what about the batting. I have quite a bag full of strips approx 2" wide plus odds and ends from other projects. What do you do with them? They definitely take up space. Thanks for any suggestions.
Try MaryQuilts.com; then HeartstringsQAYGblocks; and Janmac's tutorial on QAYG. I have done many of these, with small strips of batting. Works great! Hope you can find this. :)
Old 12-31-2010, 09:13 AM

Originally Posted by Feathers
Joanns carry Insul-brite as does WalMart and most quilt stores.

I keep my batting scraps and use them in everything that have been discussed here. My one thing that hasn't been spoken of is STORING the batting in Space Saver bags that you suck all the air out of with the vacume cleaner. I put batting scraps of similar size in a bag and suck the air out. Doing this goes from a garbage bag sized bag to a small flat bag that takes up very little room but is easily available for use when needed. I put a piece of paper in the bag that says small, med. or large so I know which size bag to open when I'm needing a piece of batting. The Space Saver bags can be opened and closed a million times but you'll need to dig out the vacume to suck the air out after each opening. CAUTION: On the Space Saver bag it tells you where to STOP filling the bag...STOP! Don't overfill them as you'll tear the bag and won't be able to shrink wrap it once it's torn. How do I know this? Of course I didn't believe the caution when I saw it! :oops: :oops:
Thanks for the idea of using a Space Saver bag. It will make my room look so much neater which will also mean I will have more space to put new purchases! Why didn't I think of the bags!?
Old 12-31-2010, 09:25 AM

Zig Zagging them together works really great and you can't even tell it was done that way in the completed project.
Old 12-31-2010, 09:41 AM

Originally Posted by Alice Woodhull
I used to use the scraps and would zigzag them together to make a larger piece. I always missed a place, or overlapped them too much. There is a product on the market to use to fuse them together. It does a much better job for me. It fuses polyester as well as cotton. Just use a light tough and a cooler iron for the poly. Don't wantto melt it or get it on the iron.
DH bought me a prod that I saw in quilt catalog called Heat Press - 10yds 11/2 wide lay batting edges together press tape over the 2 edges iron. web www.heatpressingbattingtogether.com.
Old 12-31-2010, 09:51 AM

Originally Posted by mom2boyz
I am just finishing my 3rd pieced quilt so I am definitely a newbie. I have learned so much from this site and am addicted to checking the boards once or twice a day. I love the creative and beautiful ways people have used fabric scraps but what about the batting. I have quite a bag full of strips approx 2" wide plus odds and ends from other projects. What do you do with them? They definitely take up space. Thanks for any suggestions.
I like to double pad under some pictures on some quilts. For example, I made a quilt with pictures of various sneakers and I padded some of them. The recipient loves to feel the raised sneakers when she goes to sleep. She says it feels as if she is a baby snuggling all over again! (I stitched around the pattern of the sneaker to be sure it doesn't move.)
Enjoy your quilting!
Old 12-31-2010, 10:07 AM

Keep for packing up Christmas ornaments