Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
What was your very first sewing machine, and how old were you? >

What was your very first sewing machine, and how old were you?

What was your very first sewing machine, and how old were you?

Old 03-06-2011, 05:13 AM

My first machine was a machine that my dad brought overseas that still had the manual in their language. It was early 1960's. And I started playing with it when I was about 8/9. It was a Necchi with all the cams for designs. I never knew what those were until I was much older. This machine was for my mom but she never used it. I still have it today.
Old 03-06-2011, 05:14 AM

I took out a loan from Avco Finance to buy my first sewing machine. It was my first loan and my first sewing machine. It was a Singer but I don't remember the model. It was in the 1970's and it was one that did all the fancy stitches at the touch of a button. I had that machine for years and years. I imagine I paid a fortune for it by the time I paid all the interest in the loan. Before that I had to borrow my mothers machine, also a Singer.
Old 03-06-2011, 05:15 AM

Also a singer that my parent's bought me for high school grad, it was not a good machine, constant frustration. Too many plastic parts. After college grad before first baby, bought myself a Viking which was wonderful, and I used it for 27 years, then 11 years ago bought my Bernina 140 which I have loved ever since.
Old 03-06-2011, 05:18 AM

First machine of my very own was given to me by my DH's parents in 1958 and it IS a Challenge by Sears. I say IS because it is the machine I use by choice to this day. I also have a Touch 'n Sew by Singer that we picked up at a yard sale for $5 along with an antique Queen Anne desk to put her on (also for $5) and have recently acquired a 1900 Arlington treadle (paid a little more than $5 - lol) that I just finished piecing a king quilt on. Also have an old Singer in a bentwood case and a New Home (knee driven) in a cabinet that belonged to my MIL. Don't care for either of those. The Challenge is the one I sew on 99% of the time.
Old 03-06-2011, 05:30 AM

Oh, such nice stories about your machines.

I learned to sew on my mother's 1950 Kenmore and then my parents gave me a Kenmore that actually had a zig-zag stitch for my 16th bday in 1971 - I felt as if I'd hit the big time!!!!

I made most of my clothes and prom dresses after that. I remember lugging (literally!) her back from my hometown in a cardboard box on the train to Boston, then carrying her on the subway to my little room in the boarding house. That was in 1977 - I needed new clothes for my new job with a bank!

She started spitting oil and I replaced her with a Kenmore free-arm in 1986 which was a plasticy model that had little power. What a disappointment. I finally sold my first machine after I got a used Viking 1+ in 1999. I just didn't have room for an extra machine.
Old 03-06-2011, 05:45 AM

Mine was a "81" graduation gift, and was a Sears Kenmore. I still have her, though she needs a cleaning still runs wonderfully.

Though we learned to sew many years before on my mothers Viking about the age of 8 forr 4-H.
Old 03-06-2011, 05:46 AM

Location: Back home in Louisiana for now....where next?? who knows....

WOw, most of you started way younger than I did. Ofcourse I did 1 sewing project in high school but had to use a neighbors machine and the one at school. My mom did not sew. I bought my first machine at Sears--it is a Kenmore when I was 50.....almost 6 years ago. I now have a Brother 650Q that I use when I travel. The Kenmore stays home and I use it when I am home for visits. I quilt only, do not sew clothes.
Old 03-06-2011, 05:53 AM

My parents bought me my first machine when I was 12 or 13. Since my dad worked at Sears everything we owned was a Sears product so I had a Kenmore in a cabinet. I learned to sew from my girlfriends mom who made custom drapes. We got to have her scraps to make clothing. We did make a quilt which was hand tied. When I graduated from HS my first purchase was my current machine which is an ELNA SU. I am looking at new machines but I have sewed many hours and items of clothing from my wedding dress to baby clothes on it. She still serves me well.
Old 03-06-2011, 05:56 AM

Singer Golden Touch and Sew - I was 17 and still have it and use it.
Old 03-06-2011, 06:00 AM

My twin and I started sewing in school making pot holders and aprons, then usinf my Moms singer. She made all our clothes and even coats. I only now appriciate all the love she put into her work. Really hated wearing those home-made clothes. My sis inherited her sewing machine then trashed it. and she doesn't sew a stich!!!!!!! Judy